New Civ 4:BTS Interview with Mantzaris on IGN!

I think that cavalry will come to represent the very last types of cavalry, like those present up to WW1, the boer wars and the crimea. Cuirassiers however, are more of a Napoleonic unit. I see them span everything from the musket to the rifle. Does anyone think that grenadiers will get pushed back a little? That way the rock-paper-scissor system would become:
Cuirassier->musket->pike->Cuirassier
and then
Cavalry->grenadier->rifle->Cavalry
And then the whole thing grinds down when infantry and machine guns come up.

"Extending the age of the Musket"! What strength does the Cuirassers have to have in order to extend the age of the musket, especially if Knights are strength 10 and Musketmen are strength 9? Prehaps the Cavalry will have a strength of 16 and Cuirassers a strength of 13?

"Extending the age of the Musket"! What strength does the Cuirassers have to have in order to extend the age of the musket, especially if Knights are strength 10 and Musketmen are strength 9? Prehaps the Cavalry will have a strength of 16 and Cuirassers a strength of 13?

Knights don't gain defensive bonuses, so Muskets can usually hold their own against them. Cavalry, however, absolutely wipe the floor with Muskets because they are over 50% stronger (so they don't need defensive bonuses). I doubt they'll raise the strength of the Cavalry, so we'll probably see Cuirassers with a Strength of 12 with first strike immunity, or 13 with bonuses against Grenadiers (<- Just a guess)

Lord Olleus:
I think that cavalry will come to represent the very last types of cavalry, like those present up to WW1, the boer wars and the crimea. Cuirassiers however, are more of a Napoleonic unit. I see them span everything from the musket to the rifle. Does anyone think that grenadiers will get pushed back a little? That way the rock-paper-scissor system would become:
Cuirassier->musket->pike->Cuirassier
and then
Cavalry->grenadier->rifle->Cavalry
And then the whole thing grinds down when infantry and machine guns come up.

I'm assuming that extending the age of the musket means that there's going to be a new paper-rock-scissors trio containing the musketman and cuirassier while riflemen and cavalry will form another trio. I'm uncertain as to which trio would contain the grenadier. But I'm hoping that the pike isn't meant to be part of the first trio; that would mean it has a very long life time, even if it is often the last unit of its era to be founded.

Espionage should be unlocked by "Bone Wielding" or "Stone Chipping", if those techs were in the game. Spying has to be as old as tool making, perhaps older.

Also, I know the names of a number of Great Spies. Of course (and you know I'm going to say this), I'd have to kill you if I told you. :lol:

I like the spy slider idea, but certainly spending 100% if your commerce on spying makes no sense. There must be some much lower limit on it.

Common sence seems to be the limit. Would you be prepared to halt your technological advances just for spying? Unless you have a pretty gamn high chance os stealing techs, unlikely.

Unless you have a pretty gamn high chance os stealing techs, unlikely.

In the changeover from CivIII to CivIV it became much much harder to keep up in research through technology trading. I just can't see that good work being undone by easy technology stealing. It'll be an option but hopefully expensive and with a high risk of failure.

Common sence seems to be the limit. Would you be prepared to halt your technological advances just for spying? Unless you have a pretty gamn high chance os stealing techs, unlikely.

One could, as it were, 'do an Al-Qaeda' and devote all the money to destroying other civs, like planting nukes in their cities etc. It's great if we will have the option of becoming a rogue terrorist state! I can see Montezuma doing it for sure. :)

One could, as it were, 'do an Al-Qaeda' and devote all the money to destroying other civs, like planting nukes in their cities etc. It's great if we will have the option of becoming a rogue terrorist state! I can see Montezuma doing it for sure. :)

Wouldn't the Genghis Khan and Barbarians scenarios work for something like that?

Why not?
As long as its slightly less efficent than doing it the 'normal' way. As it stands, the modern age is boring because you know (for the most part) who is going to win. Giving the weaker civs the possiblity of upsetting that balance can only be a good thing; as long as the civs who are at the top still have some advantage for their work in the previous ages.

One could, as it were, 'do an Al-Qaeda' and devote all the money to destroying other civs, like planting nukes in their cities etc. It's great if we will have the option of becoming a rogue terrorist state! I can see Montezuma doing it for sure.

I love that idea.

if we was to have yet another slider wount we need the abillity to run 85&#37;,95% research?

Top Bottom