New civ : Australia

Liufeng

A man of his time

UA : Land down Under -> Bonus Housing when building cities on coastal tiles + additional yeildings if campuses, Commercial hubs, theater squares and holy sites are built on charming or breathtaking appeal
UU : Digger -> Replaces the infantry, gets a bonus when fighting on coastal tiles and on foreign territory
UI : Outback Station -> Unlocked at Guilds, it provides food + production when built next to pastures + cultural bomb from the pasture
Leader UA : Citadel of Civilization -> Bonus production when fighting a defensive war or when it liberates a city (?)

Last edited:
I really like their unique improvement. Gimme those food and production bonuses!

Australia seriously?

I guess it's a pure marketing decision.
Guess so. No disrespect for Australia, I mean, they gave us Neighbours, Flying Doctors and Masterchef Australia (which for some odd reason is quite popular here in the Netherlands) and they also sing in the Eurovision Song Contest, but I can think of, pffff, say a hundred other civs which I'd feel is more entitled for a spot in Civilization?

By the way, is this DLC or does it come free with an update?

Huh... gotta say this feels more like trying to pander to another large gaming market rather than introducing Australia because theyre so interesting. I mean they definitely seem like a Civ I would enjoy with all these bonuses, but I really am wishing they had more Native American/Asian/African/Ancient cultures right about now

Guess so. No disrespect for Australia, I mean, they gave us Neighbours, Flying Doctors and Masterchef Australia (which for some odd reason is quite popular here in the Netherlands) and they also sing in the Eurovision Song Contest, but I can think of, pffff, say a hundred other civs which I'd feel is more entitled for a spot in Civilization?

By the way, is this DLC or does it come free with an update?
It's a dlc, obviously: https://civilization.com/news/entri...ummer-2017-update-multiplayer-teams-mod-tools

Also, I dont mind "odd" choices for new civilizations (yes, even before more obvious ones!), but I'd really like to know their reasoning. :p

I really like their unique improvement. Gimme those food and production bonuses!
Yeah, but they should have had sticked to those bonuses, because another "land grabbing" ability is pretty sad, since it was what made Poland "unique" in a sense ...

Australia will be excellent! A great coastal Civ!

I knew something was up when they did the Brazilian civ before the Portuguese civ and the Polish before the likes of the Persians or Mongols..... It seems they are going for the bigger market nations first, which is both smart and disappointing.
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Canadian, Dutch or Korean nation announced after this

Huh... gotta say this feels more like trying to pander to another large gaming market rather than introducing Australia because theyre so interesting. I mean they definitely seem like a Civ I would enjoy with all these bonuses, but I really am wishing they had more Native American/Asian/African/Ancient cultures right about now

I'm actually guessing. Well hoping more than guessing, that there will be a major expansion with multiple Native American civs. Seems like their dearth might suggest a single approach to bringing multiple in at the same time. Potentially with an expansion that introduces colonialization or something similiar (since there are already civs that hint at this), and the reworked UN system.

Outback station (grass, plains, desert, desert hills)
+1 food +1 cog
+0.5 housing
+1 food for each adjacent pasture
+1 cog for each 2 adjacent outback station (Steam Power)
+1 food for each 2 adjacent outback station (rapid deployment)

Which means that if you actually managed to put 6 of them around one in the middle, it would be +3/+3 for the tile at the end of the game.

Agreed. I'm fine with the inclusion itself, though it's not a civ I'm that excited for, but how can they keep releasing these euro-centric civs when other cultures are so underrepresented. Should've waited with this one so we can have other, more unique civs sooner. Lame.

Yeah, but they should have had sticked to those bonuses, because another "land grabbing" ability is pretty sad, since it was what made Poland "unique" in a sense ...

I feel like they intend to keep adding mechanics like that. Wouldn't be surprised if in some expansion a unit was added that could do it in some way. I like it, anyways. It's not a passive thing like it was in Civ4, but there's probably going to be a bunch of abilities out there in a while that can do it, allowing for culture wars.

Agreed. I'm fine with the inclusion itself, though it's not a civ I'm that excited for, but how can they keep releasing these euro-centric civs when other cultures are so underrepresented. Should've waited with this one so we can have other, more unique civs sooner. Lame.

Eurocentric.

Australia is literally on the other side of the world.

Also, I dont mind "odd" choices for new civilizations
I don't mind 'odd' choices either, but not before some essential gaps are filled first.

I like Australians, and I don't mean no disrespect for Australia, but I don't see it as a more important civ in the history of mankind than, say, the Persians, the Ottomans, or a lot of other civs.
Firaxis first ought to fill those missing gaps, before starting to throw around 'fun' civs.
Eurocentric.

Australia is literally on the other side of the world.
They do sing on the Eurovision Song Contest, though :p

Top Bottom