1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ : Australia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Geminus Leonem

Geminus Leonem Chieftain

It's not just that is Eurocentric, its Anglocentric. They could have added a Spanish Colony for a change if they really wanted ANOTHER colonial nation, but NOPE, Australia is the 6th or 7th biggest market of the game so they gotta pander.
    Also if they wanted a proper coastal city based nation in that area they could have gone for the Indonesians so it's even a waste of good abilities and assets.... just.... it just annoys me so much...

Edit: Also, I just noticed that, Scythia not withstanding, there is now as much European Colonial nations as there is Asian nations.... christ...

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Which is a British Commonwealth that was a former British prisoner colony that currently participates in Eurovision.

migalhone and Gorbles like this.
  3. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

Australia was colonized by Europeans. That's what this civ is about. It has nothing to do with the natives and their culture.

migalhone likes this.
  4. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

A more proper term than Eurocentric is probably Western Civilization which got its start in Europe and spread via colonialism which is why modern countries including the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand count. Europeans essentially replaced the native populations there. Other colonial areas in Asia, Africa, and Central/South America Europeans either integrated into the native population or never had much of a presence at all long-term. So yes, Australia is another Civ in the same genre of Eurocentric.

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

They also steal a little bit of Japan's bonus for fighting on coastal tiles (although it's limited to just their UU)

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I am very surprised that Australia is launched so soon. Now we will no longer have the continental mass of Oceania empty on TSL maps.

With the inclusion of Australia, we can certainly wait for Canada, Mexico and Argentina soon.

tomaltachpaulson likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Man, I hope they fix the AI to take more cities, since they get double production if they've liberated a city in the last 20 turns. Would love to get me some sweet liberation bonuses (and then just go back and capture the city that was just liberated for fun)

valamas likes this.
  8. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yes, all arguments against those are completely out the window now. Heck I'd say Canada and Mexico even had more cause for inclusion other than filling out the map

tomaltachpaulson likes this.
  9. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

I'm definitely not anti-modern nations, even if it does strike a bit as target market pandering, but I hope they get this phase out of the way with DLC packs and hand the reigns of the franchise over to someone other than Ed Beach. From my understanding, he is a freak about European history and its starting to reflect too strongly in the balance of Civs. If they replace him with a different director for expansions, I hope its someone dedicated to diversifying the options and not another guy from a privileged demographic pushing out the same stuff. The fact that Australia and Brazil come out before Persia, Inca, Maya, Mongolia, Khmer, Thai, Mali, Ethiopia, any number of other African civs, any number of native North American, just screams....whiteness. I expect more

GhostSalsa and scarzo like this.
  10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

can anyone sum up the UA and the Digger? And what tech gets the Outback Station?

11. Xur

Xur Prince

I usually play world maps, so this is one of the better civ additions. Just need Canada and some more African/South American civs....
    ... having said that - the addition is pointless if the game continues to suck.

12. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord

I'm happy that Australia has been added.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Between the water combat bonus and the district yields on high appeal tiles, it sort of reminds me of Japan and a little of Brazil. Remember, some districts increase the appeal of adjacent tiles.

14. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Who expected Australia as a new civ today? :)

15. AJ22PIZZA

AJ22PIZZA Chieftain

Australia before Inca, Ottomans, Mayans, Persia, Mongols, or historically unique or relevant civs?

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Then let's be real. There's Persia, Egypt, Arabia, the Ottomans, India, China, Japan, the Mongols, Aztec, Inca, Maya and then you're out of non-European/Western powerhouses in history (I might have forgotten one or two, but you get the point). Truth is that most truly dominant nations were European, simply because history has sped up all the time (after all, that's why the time in Civilization flows as it does) and because Europe has had a technological advantage ever since the renaissance.

I understand the demand for other nations, and I certainly don't intend to say that I don't want that, but truth is that if you'd rank civilizations on the power they had in the world, you'd probably have a more eurocentric/western lineup than you have right now.

DutchJob, KumaChan, nzcamel and 2 others like this.
  17. Xur

Xur Prince

How are they more relevant than Australia? How is Australia more relevant than them? Stupid discussion - dont buy it if you dont like it.

blizzrd and KumaChan like this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

How do Australians feel about John Curtin?

19. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

Disappointing.

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

UA: More yields from CH, TS, Campus, HS if on high appeal tiles.
    Digger: More strength on coastal tiles, more strength outside of friendly territory.
    Outback Station and Guilds, improved at Steam Power (and maybe one more but I didn't remember all I read from the tooltip in the first look video because I didn't bother pausing long enough for that).

Eagle Pursuit likes this.