New Civ: USSR

btw how do i get it into the game? i tried extracting into the custom folder directly and it didnt work, then i tried each seperate section, didnt work either

I have a suggestion related to the USSR idea... Did anybody think of addidng Nazzi Germany in the game? Hittler could be the one and only leader and instead of UU it could have Unique Building - labour camp, which could be built only in city with judaism and could double the production rate by lessening population by one per three turns?
Yes its rude, but I think you can get the point... :)

Tompskij said:
I dont think you can judge anything by that, there will always be people that wont agree with what you're doing. Hey, I dont like how the sovjetunion was working but I think its stupid to blame the communist ideology when it really was the leading men that got extremely corrupt. If I would to like you ALL political systems would be a hell. There have never been a system without corruption, murder and un-equality.

(Btw; Sorry about my English :D )
Then you are wrong. There will always be disagreement, the point is how does the country handle it. If people think the situation is so bad when a country is at peace that they will risk their life to flee, that tells you all you need to know. Also, if that same country tries to shoot the people who try to leave, that is even worse. If you give any group of leaders absolute power and they will become absolutely corrupt. Install a "Dictatorship of the Proletariat" and you wind up with Dictators, somehow this surprises people. Also, you may not have noticed, but Communism IS the "leading men". There is a reason that we call its various forms Marxism, Leninism, Stalinism, Maoism, Trotskyism, and Castroism.

Probably Soviets UU should be Tachanka - kind of chariot with mashine gun. Tachankas is famous units of Red Army in Civil War. It have so soviet flavor.
Why not?

Install a "Dictatorship of the Proletariat" and you wind up with Dictators, somehow this surprises people.

Of course it does, because the dictatorship of the proletariat has nothing to do with the form of government, it has to do with the class arrangements of a society. The US may be a federal republic, but it is also a "dictatorship of the bourgeoisie" as Marx might say. So a society in the DotP could be anything from democracy to dictatorship.

Also, the USSR was not a DotP. Lenin broke with Marx on that and believed in the neccessity of an intellectual vanguard to conduct the revolution. This meant that intellectuals were the primary actors, effectively creating a slightly altered class structure that continued to keep proletarians down while also repressing the more bourgeois elements.

hey i had trouble trying to get this mod to play. i extracted it from the zip file to the mod file and it still doesnt show up when i load the mod. any comments to help?

Just to make sure, have you extracted it under Mods folder (like Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods) and not the CustomMods folder?

yea i extracted it to the mods folder, however it came out as a .rar file and i was wondering if that has to do with it not working because the other custom civs i downloaded are .rar files?

yea i extracted it under the Mods Folder however it was a .rar file and i was wondering if that had anything to do with it not playing?

when i think of soviets i think infantry.

How about a unit called the conscript, It can be pumped out at extreamly low costs but maybee have a little less streangth.

civaddict098 said:
when i think of soviets i think infantry.

How about a unit called the conscript, It can be pumped out at extreamly low costs but maybee have a little less streangth.

extremaly low cost = very expensive upgrade to mechs, more units = high supply costs, conscript is historically truly but such UU is more likely disadvantage

What about Katyusha - artillery with + 2 strength or/and free Barrage promotion?

While I love the discussion, we're getting off topic here.

I believe that the T-38 tank or the Partisan infantry,

SteveU said:
What about Katyusha - artillery with + 2 strength or/and free Barrage promotion?

Katyusha should also be non-capturable, since they always had a self-destruct mechanism to prevent falling into the enemy's hands. Range should also be increased relative to ordinary artillery

But personally, T-34 sounds better as a UU.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I wish at some point I could continue this mod, even implement 3D leaderheads (even though Stalin will be at the expansion :p), but now the mod's on hiatus :/

Until next time ;)

I think it would be cool (but probably not possible) to have some sort of super spy unit for the UU. Whenever I think of the USSR I think of spies.

first of all, i am truely looking forward to this mod.
personally for the UU, i like the soviet Mi-24 helicopter http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/mi-24.htm
but the MiG (or Su), spetznas (i like that quicker no anarchy thing), and artillery (that self destruct thing is cool)are intrigueing.
maybe there should be a special unit per leader-
like lenin gets the artillery, stalin gets the MiG, and gorby gets the chopper
you know, roosevelt would get the marine, and washington could get like a skirmisher or militia man or something?
just some thoughts

and now for communism:
i hate to burst your bubbles, but in theory communism IS definitely a good thing! think about it, you do not like to, or can not cook, then you do not cook. maybe you like to work outside, and do not mind a little physical labour, you are a farmer. the catch is this: there are some people who are not good at anything (think disabled, mentally OR physically); so now you have someone who is not disabled, a capable person, who is quasi intelligent, and they are thinking, i don't want to do anything, except for maybe, oh, i don't know, like, drink vodka or something?!? and drinking vodka is not productive for the community (although watching extremely drunk people can be entertaining), so this leads to who does not need intelligence thinking- well, if ol' boy over there does not have to work, and he gets to eat the same food, wear the same cloths, sleep in the same type bed, etc., then why should i have to work all day? which in effect leads to the breakdown...
i used to think that it was man's natural aggression to be better than his fellow man that was the flaw of communism, but i was wrong, it is man's natural desire to do as little as possible for the maximum result. that is just my opinion.

and finally, several of you should realize that engrish is not the first language of quite a few people in this thread; meaning this: translation to and from english from several different languages can lead to some interesting misunderstandings... so be a little less harsh. let opinions be opinions. no one has malicious intent here, at least i hope not.

--something about gaining from philosophy, and fear of the law, and doing stuff?

Well said griderjn! I defianetly agree with you about the communisim thing, communism in therory is great, its just humans that always mess it up. Silly humans!

Sorry but this civilisation exist in the last version ? Or it's possible to play immediatly ? And I don't know why but when I want to Download this civilisation I can't.
Si vous povez répondre en Français bhein faites le SVP? Je sais je me répéte mais bon ...

Top Bottom