New Great Person type: Great Humanitarians

Luxerne

Warlord
I remember playing Civilization Revolution and how it had a pretty unique type of Great Person we haven't seen since then: Great Humanitarians. I think it provides a great opportunity to include some important historical figures that can't be leaders of civs (either because they weren't political figures or because their civ would be unlikely to appear) and don't fit into existing GP categories.

Also, with GP having unique effects, this presents an opportunity for some really unique and varied abilities, since the category is pretty ambiguous, though a lot of the ideas I had sort of sound like a cultural version of Great Scientists.

I guess they would probably be connected to Diplomatic Favor and/or Alliances and/or Diplomatic Quarters for those who own the packs, or with influence points, low warmonger penalties, and declarations of friendship for those who don't.

I made a list of some examples, starting from about the Renaissance Era, of people that might make sense, and with some ideas of possible abilities.

Renaissance Era
Bartolomé de las Casas - Something to do with plantations?
Joan Lluís Vives or Catherine of Aragon - inspiration for Humanism and a random civic
Marie de Gournay - creates a great work of writing
Juana Inés de la Cruz - two random inspirations and one random eureka
Desiderius Erasmus - inspiration for Reformed Church and a random civic

Industrial Era
Frederick Douglass - creates two great works of writing
Toussaint L'Ouverture - acts as a general that stacks on top of normal GP, when retired reduces future grievances/warmonger penalties
Florence Nightingale - Medics provide +5 healing per turn
Manuela Sáenz - inspiration for Suffrage and a random civic
Karl Marx - inspiration for Class Struggle and a random civic

Modern Era
Jane Addams - neighborhoods provide +1 amenity and housing
Isabel de Bragança - extra diplo favor/influence
John Muir - inspiration for Conservation, national parks provide +1 appeal to their city
Pandita Ramabai - libraries provide +1 amenity and housing

Atomic Era
Martin Luther King, Jr. - districts gain the inherent adjacency bonuses of adjacent districts
Eleanor Roosevelt - adds one Diplomatic policy slot to your government
Soong Mei-ling - extra influence/favor for each civilization currently at peace, gain a large burst of influence/favor when declaring a war for which you receive no grievances/warmonger penalties

Information Era
Liu Xiaobo - three random inspirations?
Wangari Muta Maathai - inspiration for Environmentalism, +1 appeal from woods and jungle
Nelson Mandela - extra diplo favor/influence

Last edited:
This is a very interesting idea. I like the idea, but, Great Diplomats would make more sense for a Diplomatic type of Great Person.
Not to put down your idea of Great Humanitarians, it's an idea that, if we don't get Great Diplomats, should be put in.

Top Bottom