New IAAR Development

Wang Lung

Chieftain
Hello all! I've been thinking a lot about starting an IAAR recently around CiV. I hope I can get some interest in one. If not, nothing ventured nothing gained :lol:

Serenissima Signoria (IAAR)

My first idea was to run a game centered around a republic. It would be very similar to a realpoltik-type game with my own little twist on it. Each person would choose and/or be assigned an output type (culture, faith, science, production, gold) and would earn points each turn from the civ-wide output. Players would vie for influence over NPCs to elect them to run the country for a set number of turns.
Spoiler :

Getting Started:
Benvenuto! Serenissima Signoria is a game of politics. Each player is assigned one of five victory type. In order to meet their victory type, players compete for the support of electors to be appointed to the Signoria (or government). Once appointed, players use their powers in office to earn victory points by increasing the output of their victory condition. And that’s the basics! To sign up just post your character name and preferred victory type (though victory types are first-come-first-served).

Victory Points and Types: In order to win the game players must earn the highest number of victory points. Players earn victory points in two ways: hold an office in the Signoria, increase the output associated with your victory type.

See “Signoria” for how to hold an office in the Signoria.

Two Victory types are assigned to each player when they first join the game, a primary and a secondary. There are five possible victory types: Artigiano, Artista, Sacerdote, Mercante, Studioso. Each type is associated with a different output type: Artigiano (production), Artista (culture), Sacerdote (faith), Mercante (commerce), Studioso (science). For every unit of an output earned in game, players with the associated victory types will gain victory points. Players will earn more for their primary victory type, and less for their secondary.

New players will also earn a time bonus to help level the playing field with those who have been playing from the beginning.

Signoria: The Signoria is the government of Venice. It consists of the Doge and the Minor Councilors. The Doge is the supreme head of state and has authority over foreign relations, the military, and the appointment of Minor Councilors. There are four Minor Councilors: Councilor of Culture, Councilor of Science, Councilor of Commerce, and the City Councilors. Councilor of Culture has authority over social policy and religion. Councilor of Science has authority over technology choice. Councilor of Commerce has authority over spending (approving building construction and power to purchase in cities) and domestic units (workers and setters). City Councilors have authority over production in their city and citizen management.

To get appointed to the Signoria players must gain the support of available electors to be appointed Doge. The Doge appoints the Minor Councilors. Every 10 turns the Signoria is re-elected.

Factions: Players are able to form factions that will work together to get appointed to the Signoria. All actions performed by players apart of a faction, will increase influence for all those within their faction. To form a faction requires at least two players. To create a new faction simply post the faction name, members, and signifier.

Actions: (More Later)

NOTE: I would use ROMAN CIV rather than Venice to allow for multiple cities.

Colonization IAAR

My second idea is a game where each player runs a group of colonists set out for the new world. Everyone would be from the same Old-World nation, but would run their own colony. Players would be able to choose from three different colony types: Proprietary, Religious, and Royal. The colony type would determine how the colony is run, what players earn points for, and what options are available for players. Besides the running of colonies, players would also have to respond to other nations colonizing, natives attacking, relations with the motherland, and other outside pressures.
Spoiler :
Colonization IAAR

Getting Started: Welcome! Colonization IAAR is about building your colony in the New World. Players will take control of the leader of a group of settlers and set out to colonize a new and untamed land. Compete with other players to earn Victory Points while also dealing with natives, foreign powers, relations with the motherland, and more. To join simply post your colony name, governor name, and the type of colony.

Colony Types:In Colonization IAAR there are three different colony types: Proprietary, Royal, and Religious. Which colony type you choose will affect how you earn Victory Points, how you interact with the motherland and foreign colonies, and what options are available to you. Once you choose your colony type, you will only be able to change with great difficulty.

Proprietary Colonies

These are colonies funded and owned by a joint-stock company. As a proprietary colony your goal is to make money for your shareholders. As such, all “profit” will be given to your shareholders at the end of each year. You will earn victory points primarily for earning commerce, and secondarily for earning production. Special aspects of proprietary colonies include:

-all gold at the end of each 4-turn year is given to shareholders
-can only purchase buildings and units
-must build commerce in cities
-can issue bonds to finance purchasing buildings and units
-can only defend, cannot attack
-receives directives from shareholders
-foreign relations set by English Government

Royal Colonies

These colonies are funded and owned by the Royal Government. Your goal is to claim the largest amount of land possible for Her Majesty’s Government, claim resources to export back to the motherland, and in general defend the Crown’s interests in the New World. You will earn victory points primarily from the extent of cultural borders, resources claimed, and secondarily from culture. Special aspects of royal colonies include:

-receives orders from Her Majesty’s Government.
-will be called to defend other English colonies.
-cannot build military units, but receives levies from royal government
-all cities except capital must remain puppeted (military units built here are sold for gold)
-can request loans from motherland when in need
-all resources are traded away to motherland.

Religious Colonies

These colonies are escaping to the new world to avoid persecution. They are self sufficient and so are owned by the colonists. Your goal is to spread your religion to other colonies, natives, and foreign powers. Though you have no outside power to rely on, you also keep all your own resources and output. You will earn victory points primarily from spreading religion and faith, and secondarily from culture. Special aspects include:

-receives orders from the Council of Deacons
-foreign relations set by Council of Deacons
-capital is Holy City for your religious denomination

(more to come)

I'd play in either IAAR, but I'd prefer one of the second type.

If this started during the summer I'd for sure do it. I'll do either but I'm slightly inclined toward the first option

I would play both, but I prefer the second.

Glad to see a little interest! Please if you have looked at the thread and have some interest, post and let me know.

I have come up with a draft of the rules of the first game type:

Spoiler :

Getting Started:
Benvenuto! Serenissima Signoria is a game of politics. Each player is assigned one of five victory type. In order to meet their victory type, players compete for the support of electors to be appointed to the Signoria (or government). Once appointed, players use their powers in office to earn victory points by increasing the output of their victory condition. And that’s the basics! To sign up just post your character name and preferred victory type (though victory types are first-come-first-served).

Victory Points and Types: In order to win the game players must earn the highest number of victory points. Players earn victory points in two ways: hold an office in the Signoria, increase the output associated with your victory type.

See “Signoria” for how to hold an office in the Signoria.

Two Victory types are assigned to each player when they first join the game, a primary and a secondary. There are five possible victory types: Artigiano, Artista, Sacerdote, Mercante, Studioso. Each type is associated with a different output type: Artigiano (production), Artista (culture), Sacerdote (faith), Mercante (commerce), Studioso (science). For every unit of an output earned in game, players with the associated victory types will gain victory points. Players will earn more for their primary victory type, and less for their secondary.

New players will also earn a time bonus to help level the playing field with those who have been playing from the beginning.

Signoria: The Signoria is the government of Venice. It consists of the Doge and the Minor Councilors. The Doge is the supreme head of state and has authority over foreign relations, the military, and the appointment of Minor Councilors. There are four Minor Councilors: Councilor of Culture, Councilor of Science, Councilor of Commerce, and the City Councilors. Councilor of Culture has authority over social policy and religion. Councilor of Science has authority over technology choice. Councilor of Commerce has authority over spending (approving building construction and power to purchase in cities) and domestic units (workers and setters). City Councilors have authority over production in their city and citizen management.

To get appointed to the Signoria players must gain the support of available electors to be appointed Doge. The Doge appoints the Minor Councilors. Every 10 turns the Signoria is re-elected.

Factions: Players are able to form factions that will work together to get appointed to the Signoria. All actions performed by players apart of a faction, will increase influence for all those within their faction. To form a faction requires at least two players. To create a new faction simply post the faction name, members, and signifier.

Actions: (More Later)

NOTE: I would use ROMAN CIV rather than Venice to allow for multiple cities.

I feel like if we are going to play as Rome it would be wrong not to have Senate gameplay...but I'm down for whatever this sounds fun

We would still be Venice if that makes sense. So the capital city will be named Venice and the culture and language would be Italian not Roman/Latin. Think medieval/Renaissance Italy rather than classical Rome. Similarly, we'd be starting with medieval technology instead of classical. I'd be willing to change to Rome and Senate however if that would be more supported. I suppose looking back at old games I just thought going with Doge and Signoria would be different, whereas Rome and Senate has been done before multiple times across the CiV and CivIV forums.

whereas Rome and Senate has been done before multiple times across the CiV and CivIV forums.

Very True, although I don't know a game actually as Venice could be very interesting, as it would allow as to focus somewhat more on bickering and politicking rather than on empire building, but still give us freedom to go in that direction if we so choose. Obviously its your call though :D

Hmm that could be interesting as well. I am pretty open so if that is what people support I would support it.

Second game type draft:
Spoiler :
Colonization IAAR

Getting Started: Welcome! Colonization IAAR is about building your colony in the New World. Players will take control of the leader of a group of settlers and set out to colonize a new and untamed land. Compete with other players to earn Victory Points while also dealing with natives, foreign powers, relations with the motherland, and more. To join simply post your colony name, governor name, and the type of colony.

Colony Types:In Colonization IAAR there are three different colony types: Proprietary, Royal, and Religious. Which colony type you choose will affect how you earn Victory Points, how you interact with the motherland and foreign colonies, and what options are available to you. Once you choose your colony type, you will only be able to change with great difficulty.

Proprietary Colonies

These are colonies funded and owned by a joint-stock company. As a proprietary colony your goal is to make money for your shareholders. As such, all “profit” will be given to your shareholders at the end of each year. You will earn victory points primarily for earning commerce, and secondarily for earning production. Special aspects of proprietary colonies include:

-all gold at the end of each 4-turn year is given to shareholders
-can only purchase buildings and units
-must build commerce in cities
-can issue bonds to finance purchasing buildings and units
-can only defend, cannot attack
-receives directives from shareholders

Royal Colonies

These colonies are funded and owned by the Royal Government. Your goal is to claim the largest amount of land possible for Her Majesty’s Government, claim resources to export back to the motherland, and in general defend the Crown’s interests in the New World. You will earn victory points primarily from the extent of cultural borders, resources claimed, and secondarily from culture. Special aspects of royal colonies include:

-receives orders from Her Majesty’s Government.
-will be called to defend other English colonies.
-cannot build military units, but receives levies from royal government
-all cities except capital must remain puppeted (military units built here are sold for gold)
-can request loans from motherland when in need
-all resources are traded away to motherland.

Religious Colonies

These colonies are escaping to the new world to avoid persecution. They are self sufficient and so are owned by the colonists. Your goal is to spread your religion to other colonies, natives, and foreign powers. Though you have no outside power to rely on, you also keep all your own resources and output. You will earn victory points primarily from spreading religion and faith, and secondarily from culture. Special aspects include:

-receives orders from the Council of Deacons
-foreign relations set by Council of Deacons
-capital is Holy City for your religious denomination

(more to come)

I like the looks of the draft rules for the colonization IAAR, though as a random suggestion I'd say you might want to consider using the 'Conquest of the New World Deluxe' Scenario if you end up running it.

Both of these sound like fun. I can't really say which one interests me more but I'd be interested to join any of them.

As for the Venice game I think you could make it work even with the Venetian civ since they can build empires both through buying city states and waging war. Although the Venice civ would give a slight advantage to the people who choose/are assigned the gold yield since collecting gold is something Venice excels at. I just find it a little weird if the "Venetians" were to start training Roman legions in their cities. :p

Wow! I just checked back here in the first time in almost 5 months and so much is going on! I would love to join this IAAR, particularly the second one.

And Gurra, didn't Lung the game would start in the medieval era? I would think Legions would be outdated.

I like the looks of the draft rules for the colonization IAAR, though as a random suggestion I'd say you might want to consider using the 'Conquest of the New World Deluxe' Scenario if you end up running it.

I haven't had a chance yet, but I hope to use the mapping tool on steam (the name is eluding me right now) to create the optimal scenario. Still exploring my options.

Both of these sound like fun. I can't really say which one interests me more but I'd be interested to join any of them.

As for the Venice game I think you could make it work even with the Venetian civ since they can build empires both through buying city states and waging war. Although the Venice civ would give a slight advantage to the people who choose/are assigned the gold yield since collecting gold is something Venice excels at. I just find it a little weird if the "Venetians" were to start training Roman legions in their cities. :p

Another point in favor of Rome is that Rome's unique ability doesn't favor any of the output types. At the same time, I didn't think about how the dynamics of the game might change for the better if we were to use Venice.

So far it looks like the colonization game is winning out. I'll be fleshing out the rulesets more in the coming days. I don't expect to seriously begin work on getting the game started however until another week when my semester ends.

Yeah I haven't forgotten about this, and would still be interested in starting this up late in the summer. I am going to be traveling for the entire month of July and so don't think I want to start a game only to have to stop again.

Yeah I haven't forgotten about this, and would still be interested in starting this up late in the summer. I am going to be traveling for the entire month of July and so don't think I want to start a game only to have to stop again.

Probably a good idea. I'm still in too, whenever you should get this running.

Hello everyone! Back again to hopefully get this off the ground. Thinking about the game some more I've come up with 3 game "types" to choose from. Multiple civs should work for all of them, so we can choose the specific one at a later point.

Type One: Influence Game

Players will control a dynasty/clan/family and will vie for influence over the map. Research will be very slow, while production times lowered to make for a more immersive game. Possible civilizations: Feudal Japan, Medieval European (France/England/Germany), Ancient/Pre-Colonization Native American (Shoshone, Aztec, Inca, Maya, Iroquois).

Type Two: City State Game

Players will control a city and will try to become the most powerful/wealthy/advanced. Research will be slow, production times lowered. Possible civilizations: Colonization-Era Europe (France/England/Spain/Portugal), Ancient Mediterranean (Greece/Rome/Carthage), Medieval Italian (Venice/Rome).

Type Three: Economic/Social Game

Players will work towards dominance in a non-political game. For example, Religion game where players vie to become the top Cleric/Priest with the communal goal of spreading the religion. Think Monasteries competing for pilgrims and prestige. Another possibility is competing trade cities or colonies vying over resource control and/or market control. A third, maybe gods looking to gain followers (and thus power) by spreading a religion following them or performing miracles and creating disasters. Possible civilizations: Colonization-Era Europe (France/England/Spain/Portugal), Medieval Europe (France/England/Germany/Spain), or even no specific civilization in certain contexts.

I haven't fully fledged out the idea yet. What I have so far though is that each player would start as a minor local God. As you gain followers you gain belief that you can spend to interact with the game world. For example you could appear to a prophet and have him travel the world with your teachings. Or perhaps on a rival god's people you could bring down a plague. The more you do in the world, the more believers you get. Eventually as civilizations began forming religions the god (or gods) with the highest number of followers in that Civ would most likely (though not always) become the god for that religion. As organized religion takes off you could call for Crusades/Jihads in your name to eliminate rival gods' peoples and show your might. The end goal being the only god left.

Top Bottom