New Natural Wonders?

I thought a good way to do the Amazon in the game would be to have the Amazon Estuary as the actual "Wonder" tiles with the bonus yields (in this case, would you say food and some science?), and just code it so a river/several rivers run into it.

It'd actually be neat if the game named all the rivers on the map, although that'd probably be a pain to program.

Just as a side question, are natural wonders programmed to appear near city-states or vice versa? In my experience, a lot of the natural wonders on the map seem to be placed close to city-states.

On a (semi) unrelated note -- I hope they add a toggle to turn off fantasy natural wonders. But more variety would definitely be welcome.

I'd approve of this also.

I don't want the Fountain of Youth in my games.

It'd actually be neat if the game named all the rivers on the map, although that'd probably be a pain to program.

I think that this appears in the iOS Civilisation Revolutions; the player picks from a list of three names.

Just as a side question, are natural wonders programmed to appear near city-states or vice versa? In my experience, a lot of the natural wonders on the map seem to be placed close to city-states.

Yes; I get the impression that they are not properly and evenly spread in my games; the city states seem to get the vast bulk of them.

This doesn't seem right given how many player and major AI cities there are in any given game and the larger percentage of the map that they take up.

I should like this adjusted if possible.

I thought a good way to do the Amazon in the game would be to have the Amazon Estuary as the actual "Wonder" tiles with the bonus yields (in this case, would you say food and some science?), and just code it so a river/several rivers run into it.

Trivia: I'd say culture. When the Amazon River meets the Atlantic, the sound of their waves crashing at each other is so intense that it can be heard deep inside the silent forest. This served as inspiration for local indigenous' legends. Nowadays crazy people go there for water sports...

If I had to guess, it's probably more accurate the civs are programmed not to appear next to a wonder. Therefore, that increases the chances of a City-State appearing next to one.

I think that this appears in the iOS Civilisation Revolutions; the player picks from a list of three names.

It appears in all versions of CivRev (even the DS version; although the name doesn't appear on the map there), although it's a bit spotty as to how, when, and where it kicks in. You could also name forests and grasslands and such, with the same spotty appearances.

I nominate the large list that others have helped accrue in my signature.

Specifically, how about the auroras, as random tiles near the poles of a map?

It appears in all versions of CivRev (even the DS version; although the name doesn't appear on the map there), although it's a bit spotty as to how, when, and where it kicks in. You could also name forests and grasslands and such, with the same spotty appearances.

Its the only thing I would like to take from CivRev, I thought that was a good little touch.

As for natural wonders would like to see Everest in there.

Its the only thing I would like to take from CivRev, I thought that was a good little touch.
Speaking of which, in Civ IV I would also use the little markers you can place on the map to name bays, seas, mountain ranges, and other such geographic features. Wish they'd bring them back in Civ V. :(

Tibetan controversy?

Glad to see others are noticing the abundance of NWs in CSs

NWs are placed in starting locations. City states all occupy starting position, whereas only a civ's capital does. So it stands to reason that they'll have a higher proportion of NWs.

Anyone remember that Mt. Everest was supposed to appear in the game? There were pictures of it, even.
Why did they remove it?
Tibetan controversy?
I think that would be a good argument not to include Tibet as an independent nation - the Chinese authorities would not be pleased, but including Everest - the tallest mountain in the world - as a national wonder seems much less politically charged.

I don't think we have an explanation for it being left out. What I'm sometimes guessing is that it's because the real Everest is in the middle of a huge mountain group. All wonders in the game are scripted to appear in places that are like where they are in the real world - example: Fuji not on the biggest landmass.
But to put Everest on the map surrounded by other mountains? That would seem silly, since then only the Gods & Kings Carthaginians would find it.
But that's just a theory... Looking at that picture, it probably got replaced by the Grand Mesa at the 11th hour.
NWs are placed in starting locations. City states all occupy starting position, whereas only a civ's capital does. So it stands to reason that they'll have a higher proportion of NWs.
National Wonders are not placed near starting locations, both NW's and CS's are scripted to appear away from real civ's starting positions. I think it's because of this shared criterium that they can easily appear together.

Speaking of which, in Civ IV I would also use the little markers you can place on the map to name bays, seas, mountain ranges, and other such geographic features. Wish they'd bring them back in Civ V. :(

Those markers were very handy for planning out city placement and such as well. I hope they bring those back in G&K, though I doubt that it's gonna happen.

Top Bottom