New patch 20 December

they made it so cutting barely adds production to wonders now! :mad:

Last edited:
So, a lot of small changes, none of them being big issues. Your argument doesn't hold.
As for game crashing, mind you I had zero crash before the first patch, and had some afterwards. Overall, the stability remains very good and I would say stability issues are very minor with regards to making the game enjoyable.

Yeah I get that the Ai is pretty nerfed here. I doubt it's something they can easily fix in 30 days. Some people were unable to complete any games due to the game crashing. For me that makes it a major bug if you can't even finish a game. I am sure they are well aware just how poor the Ai is here. Hopefully in future patches this will improve.

Remember Ai will always follow a defined code. The issue here is the players always use optimal strategies. On this game it appears to be stealing Ai settlers early on. Also taking advantage of the AI poor military strategy. There is never a plan B for AI. The basics for the game are there. Hopefully modders will be able to improve the Ai here more. Let's hope firaxis can before the expansion.

Yeah I get that the Ai is pretty nerfed here. I doubt it's something they can easily fix in 30 days. Some people were unable to complete any games due to the game crashing. For me that makes it a major bug if you can't even finish a game. I am sure they are well aware just how poor the Ai is here. Hopefully in future patches this will improve.

Remember Ai will always follow a defined code. The issue here is the players always use optimal strategies. On this game it appears to be stealing Ai settlers early on. Also taking advantage of the AI poor military strategy. There is never a plan B for AI. The basics for the game are there. Hopefully modders will be able to improve the Ai here more. Let's hope firaxis can before the expansion.
Game crashes are worth fixing all the time, except on game close, I agree. My point is they spent some time on AI fixing but didn't address the right issues.
In fact, some of the issues they tackle are what you're talking about, namely "strategy". They changed the handling of some tech, for instance, which falls under strategy. But that is not a probem right now.With its bonuses, the AI manages to be ahead in tech, or should be if it didn't lose on the tactical level. The fix I'm requesting is not a complex one. I'm just asking them to attack cities and accept some losses when doing so. Even if the AI loses 2 or 3 units wherea human would lose zero, if it manages to take a city, it would be a huge improvement over today's situation where it loses 5 or 6 units and does not take the city for lack of ever attacking it.

I've never noticed the AI not attacking my cities. If I have a city that is not well guarded, they will throw every unit they have at it until it falls, including suicide attacks.

Yay! After a month of not playing, here is my experience through turn 63. Epic speed, large, Emperor, shuffle.

I am Kongo. Arabia and I are at a neutral level. Arabia asks me to declare war on Brazil, who I feel is way too close so I say yes. I figure that Arabia will be my only friend since I can't have my own religion -- he can spread his to me.

We declare war on turn 62. On Turn 63, Arabia tells me how Kings don't settle disputes this way and immediately declares war on me along with Japan.

So, I am now at war with everyone I know.

Some things never change. Couldn't they at least implement a 10 turn peace deal if you declare a war alliance versus another Civ? I'm not sure I'm gonna play this one to Turn 65 -- guess I'll wait another month.

EDIT: And of course I tried at that point to hit Ctrl+S to save.... sigh.

Game crashes are worth fixing all the time, except on game close, I agree. My point is they spent some time on AI fixing but didn't address the right issues.
In fact, some of the issues they tackle are what you're talking about, namely "strategy". They changed the handling of some tech, for instance, which falls under strategy. But that is not a probem right now.With its bonuses, the AI manages to be ahead in tech, or should be if it didn't lose on the tactical level. The fix I'm requesting is not a complex one. I'm just asking them to attack cities and accept some losses when doing so. Even if the AI loses 2 or 3 units wherea human would lose zero, if it manages to take a city, it would be a huge improvement over today's situation where it loses 5 or 6 units and does not take the city for lack of ever attacking it.

The interesting thing will be if they improve the Ai generally how do they keep the difficulty setting. There is a balance to making the Ai competitive and keeping the game fun. It does speak volumes that on deity they have to give the Ai 3 settlers to just give them a chance. If the Ai actually figure out how to settle the cities, defend them and learn to fight wars maybe they won't need all these bonuses. Personally i think when you kill a settler it should die. Why give the player free settlers at all?
With all these free units it's no wonder the AI is such a walkover. You might as well give yourself huts and keep reloading till you get the worker/settlers.

The other issue is how to make it so all the AI don't just go war crazy on the player if you improve them too much. Ai diplomacy here appears to be a bit of a joke at present. Bring back the days of when you knew if the AI would stay peaceful.

1UPT is certainly providing some interesting issues for Firaxis.

the alert system is deffinately absolutely useless. it doesn't matter if your units are in your borders or not they DO NOT wake up when an enemy approaches!

I've never noticed the AI not attacking my cities. If I have a city that is not well guarded, they will throw every unit they have at it until it falls, including suicide attacks.

Past early era? When the city has defense, the AI never attacks it. Imean, it throws units near it, but they usually run away without attacking more than once and never take it.
Looking at the files, one can see there are 2 algorithms for city taking. If they jsut removed the second one and kept the first one all the time, it's probable that the game would be better.

The interesting thing will be if they improve the Ai generally how do they keep the difficulty setting. There is a balance to making the Ai competitive and keeping the game fun. It does speak volumes that on deity they have to give the Ai 3 settlers to just give them a chance. If the Ai actually figure out how to settle the cities, defend them and learn to fight wars maybe they won't need all these bonuses. Personally i think when you kill a settler it should die. Why give the player free settlers at all?
With all these free units it's no wonder the AI is such a walkover. You might as well give yourself huts and keep reloading till you get the worker/settlers.
Yes, giving 3 settlers to the AI doesn't actually give them much of a chance. It makes the meeting with the player happen earlier, and is basically gifting one free settler/city to the player, who can then ramp up production faster.

Has anyone else noticed that the Score tab in the F1 (victory progress) has gone missing in the patch?

No mods, new game with the patch.

I only read about half of this, but between that half and the bug report thread, I haven't seen anyone mention this:

Post-winter patch, my apostles still run out of promotions, and it actually seems like they start running out even earlier than before.

Anyone else still having this issue?

(And just some info for the people asking about alert promotion experiences - I have had it alert me to units approaching but I've also had it not alert me at all. It seems to not alert more than it alerts.)

From those two patches I have a feeling like this:

Players: Please fix A, B, C, D, E, F and G.
Firaxis: Fixes H, I, J, K and G.

Sadly not too far from the truth, however G in this patch is:

• Decreased production costs of Wonders progressively
    • From the Industrial era (about -10%) to the Atomic era (about -40%).
  • Decreased production costs of all Space Race Projects by 40%.
  • Increased research costs of Technologies and Civics progressively
    • From the Industrial era (about +5%) to the Information era (about +20%).

From my first full post-patch playthrough, this has done much more than it's credited with to improve gameplay. I think this should be recognised even though it's natural to focus on the many outstanding problems.

Also, a shoutout the undocumented change in either the current or a previous patch that seems to have added/enabled many more alternative quotes - the overall quality of the much-complained-about quotes has improved.

Hello Civ Fans...Just got Civ 6. Haven't even played a game yet just checking out all the new info first. A question...with this new patch I know Steam will automatically install it but how do you find out which version of the game you currently have. Civ 5 it was easy to see since it on the start screen. Where do you find it on Civ 6. Thanks...Brew God

Hello Civ Fans...Just got Civ 6. Haven't even played a game yet just checking out all the new info first. A question...with this new patch I know Steam will automatically install it but how do you find out which version of the game you currently have. Civ 5 it was easy to see since it on the start screen. Where do you find it on Civ 6. Thanks...Brew God
On the start sceen. Bottom left.

Anyone have an issue post patch with units like artillery (and catapults) being able to fire after moving IF they disembark from being out at sea?

It only does it when I move from a sea to a land tile.

And opponent cities really take a bite out of my artillery. Now I can see why the AI can't take cities. One city attack against my artillery takes it down to 49% health. As a human player I can compensate by having like 5 artillery units, but the AI will never be able to take a city with this insane city attack.

Top Bottom