New patch 20 December

If i understood your comment correctly that issue would likely be covered up by their AI Tuning note;
-- Improved handling of several complaint or kudo messages from AI
No, I'm talking about the grey messages that pop up at the start of every turn that are a result of gossip and espionage. Things like "China has traded with America", "Russia has cleared a barbarian camp".

I did some testing on the culture bomb. Looks like it can't extend beyond 3 tiles from the city center. So the ability is pretty good, but not nearly as crazy as it was in previous Civ games. Notice how in the screenshot below the encampment only grabs tiles to the left and right, not the 3 tiles that are 4 tiles from the city center.

upload_2016-12-20_20-41-52.png

On the data side, screenshot below of the sql shows where they appear to have inserted the values. Took me a little while to find by tracing back through the chain of traits/modifiers/arguments.

Based on this it appears when a person gets Culture Bombed you get a -10 penalty to relations. Pretty expected I suppose.

What is kind of cool about this is the way they constructed it with arguments means we might be able to mod in culture bombs to some of the extremely lackluster unique improvements. If nothing else looks easily fixable if fort-bombs are overpowered. I have yet to try a fort, just the encampment.

Spoiler :
upload_2016-12-20_20-27-28.png

I'm glad to see a new patch... But they still haven't fixed the production problems. Starting the colossus as soon as I unlock it and not finishing until the late medieval to Renaissance era is terrible and new cities taking forever to get established with long build times is horrendous.

Also, still no SDK or world builder...

I also agree about district stacking,

maybe it was ridiculous in a way that you could play in single player and stack factories and get awesome games (gauntlet II pls nerf) but they should have just nerfed it or something, not completely remove it.

Is anyone else having trouble getting the earth map to load? I tried 3 times and the game stops responding.

Here's the data on the 3 new natural wonders.

Eyjafjallajökull -2 tiles
Adjacent land plots yield +1 Culture and +2 Food.
Uses placement rules like Yosimite

Giant's Causeway - 2 tiles
Land combat units that enter adjacent plots receive the ability 'Spear of Fionn' (+5 combat strength).
Uses unique placement rules

Lysefjord - 3 tiles
Naval combat units that enter adjacent plots are granted their next promotion.
Uses placement rules like Piopiopahti

The science and production changes are definitely a step in the right direction. I suspect slightly larger/earlier ones would be ideal, but I understand not wanting to shift things too fast (Changes to district costs would also be welcome).

I'm not sure yet whether the regional bonus change was overkill, but it will definitely remove the pressure to put industrial zones in every city. Hopefully the next patch will find a way to do the same for commercial hubs.

The unique district change is unexpected but, in my opinion a very good idea. It allows for unique districts to be powerful based on their actual unique features instead of simply by being unique districts. Either removing the production discount as well or applying it to unique buildings would further correct the power discrepancy between these unique types.

Overall this looks like a solid patch with far more gameplay improvements than the first. It doesn't fix everything ,but it does show that (unlike for BERT) the developers are aware of the biggest balance/tuning issues and making a serious effort to address them.

Well the UI is still form over function (slow, fancy scrolling and mystifying lack of vital info on trade and diplomacy screen)

Still no SDK

Still all those crappy, hipster tech quotes (I know this was never going to be fixed or changed in a patch but I will still voice my displeasure at the absolutely bottom of the barrel "funny" modern quotes they used in so many places)

That's a sad, short bug fix list for an entire month of a paid development team. I hope at the very least it crashes less. I put it on the shelf because this is by far the least stable Civilization game I've personally played out of the titles going back to III.

But hey, they had time to crank out that DLC which I'm sure was the deadline to get whatever they had out the door.

Fully agree. It was the only interesting aspect of district management and city placement and they removed it.

Also no change to AI combat behaviour.

Shelved.

I totally agree. They should of built upon the concept. They could of allowed other districts/buildings to stack for different civs in order to balance. errr, I don't understand the logic.

Ill reserve some judgement because I have yet to play with the patch. But jesus, the civ series just doesn't have the inspiration it once had. think I'm just going to shelve the whole series eventually and move on. Had a lot of awesome memories of the game though.

They likely have the entire dev team focusing on DLC development. I just wish they could dedicate like 20% of 1 dev's time to improving the AI..

I don't think Firaxis has the talent working for them they once had. The series has sold so well because its coat tailed off its previous games. Not much ingenuity left in gaming these days. imo

I don't think Firaxis has the talent working for them they once had. The series has sold so well because its coat tailed off its previous games. Not much ingenuity left in gaming these days. imo
As I said numerous times, the Civ series really need a Cities: Skylines/Planet Coaster treatment. In other words, it needs a direct competitor, especially from an independent mid-sized developer.

I just loaded a game and noticed a UI change that doesn't seem to have made it into the notes: the Great Person screen now shows each civ's emblem next to its progress bars. This is a very helpful change for quick readability, and I hope it will eventually be extended to the city state interface as well.

They didn't. (In reference to the last built item bug... still not fixed.)

Seems an odd one to not have addressed! Still no "wait" command for units :(

Top Bottom