[GS] New Pathenons

The AI doesn't seem to prioritize the religious settlements pantheon that highly in my experience... It's been available even when I am very relaxed about scoring a pantheon... Have others seen similar?

Yeah I got my free settler just before the first one I produced and it set me back. I had 2 pop and I think 2 turns left to produce when I got the Pantheon. Got the free settler but I was down to 1 pop and 6 turns left for the settler being made.

Not sure if I would've got 0 pop if I got both on the same turn. Now I want to know what would happen.
I picked this one again last night with a pop 2 capital, and did not lose a population. Not sure if there was a bug with your experience of losing a pop or something else weird going on.

Last edited:
I've been thinking. Maybe Goddess of Fire should be reworked a bit so you don't need to wait until volcanoes erupt to get any benefit?

- 2 faith from geothermal tiles. 1 faith from tiles next to a volcano. Holy sites get +1 amenity and major adjacency from volcano

Something like that

The AI doesn't seem to prioritize the religious settlements pantheon that highly in my experience... It's been available even when I am very relaxed about scoring a pantheon... Have others seen similar?
Haven't seen in it available either time I didn't attempt to rush a panth at all, so it seems at least decently prioritized.

Regarding Religious Settlements and whether or not your city loses a pop to the "free" settler: Cities do not lose "1 population" when they build a settler. They seem to lose a fixed amount of accumulated food growth, which usually bottom lines at a 1 pop net loss. However, if you have accumulated a large enough amount of food towards the next pop growth threshold, you will not lose 1 pop when the settler appears. You will gain a bunch of turns towards pop growth, but the number of citizens is unchanged.

When I chose Religious Settlements, my capital did not lose 1 pop when @5 pop. I thought, oh neat, it's actually a free settler. But after reading comments, I'm thinking it's not free after all.

I've been thinking. Maybe Goddess of Fire should be reworked a bit so you don't need to wait until volcanoes erupt to get any benefit?

- 2 faith from geothermal tiles. 1 faith from tiles next to a volcano. Holy sites get +1 amenity and major adjacency from volcano

Something like that

Yeah, or would be even better if something in it helped you repair after a volcano erupts. Maybe +100% production when repairing on a tile with Volcanic Soil? Or builders use no charges to build improvements on volcanic soil? Or as you said, adding a big adjacency bonus to holy sites next to volcanoes would be fitting as well.

Only played one game with patch so far but Religious Settlements was still available ~T40. I don’t think it took a population point away but I did not check if the Settler cost increased. It seems like stolen Settlers/Builders do not increase cost but not sure about “free” ones like Religious Settlements or Pyramids.

Yeah, or would be even better if something in it helped you repair after a volcano erupts. Maybe +100% production when repairing on a tile with Volcanic Soil? Or builders use no charges to build improvements on volcanic soil? Or as you said, adding a big adjacency bonus to holy sites next to volcanoes would be fitting as well.
Yeah it would be more viable if just being adjacent to a volcano gave something and eruption increased the yield (or have a one time bonus).

Still nothing for lakes?

Man, any complaints about how suboptimal it is to settle next to coast applies doubly to settling next to a lake. It's just the thing you maybe settle next to when you can't find a river.

My Religious Settlements observations: in my game, I was one turn away from building a settler when I received my religious settlement pantheon. I did not lose any pop points, but the cost of my settler that I was building went up, so I ultimately did not get it on the next turn. Just my observation.

My Religious Settlements observations: in my game, I was one turn away from building a settler when I received my religious settlement pantheon. I did not lose any pop points, but the cost of my settler that I was building went up, so I ultimately did not get it on the next turn. Just my observation.

This is my experience as well. No pop lost but increases cost.

In addition, in my games so far it seems a reliable get. I.e. it's available at turn 40 if you want it, you don't need luxuries or relics or cs.

I think I would prefer Religious Settlements did not give a free settler immediately, just gave a production discount during ancient and classical eras, maybe even negate the population loss as well. It's not as exciting as the current version because it doesn't feel like a sudden jackpot, granted, but right now Religious Settlements is a very obvious go-to. And it does not seem to be one that the AI picks, and I would be rather vexed to have an AI neighbor pick it.

Similar deal with Fertility Rites and the free builder (which nobody is talking about because Religious Settlements is better).

I think I would prefer Religious Settlements did not give a free settler immediately, just gave a production discount during ancient and classical eras, maybe even negate the population loss as well. It's not as exciting as the current version because it doesn't feel like a sudden jackpot, granted, but right now Religious Settlements is a very obvious go-to. And it does not seem to be one that the AI picks, and I would be rather vexed to have an AI neighbor pick it.

Similar deal with Fertility Rites and the free builder (which nobody is talking about because Religious Settlements is better).

I like this idea too. Maybe just make it so settlers don't cost population permanently...

No, the free settler is really fun. If you want a discount, build the Ancestral Hall.

So far, it doesn't feel unbalanced to me. I wouldn't use it every game. But yeah, it's fun.

I like this idea too. Maybe just make it so settlers don't cost population permanently...
Permanently would be unthinkably powerful for a pantheon. When pantheons grant significant bonuses, they usually only do it for the first couple eras. Which is a significant time for churning out settlers without losing population.

Permanently would be unthinkably powerful for a pantheon. When pantheons grant significant bonuses, they usually only do it for the first couple eras. Which is a significant time for churning out settlers without losing population.

In practice, it would just mean not having to get Magnus' second promotion or being able to have someone besides Magnus in your settler city.

Top Bottom