NEW PBEM, my first one, v. 1,61

GAME STARTED :)))
I played first turn and sent it to elviro. I hope Ben E Gas will show up soon, and send his e-mail (especially to Dazz_G, to keep the game going). Does anyone know what to do to make auto-sending-in-the-game working???

Players who are random - reveal which civ you got after first turn.

I'm in US EST. I'm not sure how that translates to GMT.

I will be able to make my moves after 10pm each night. But there will be sometimes that I cannot make a move for a few days. If this will be a problem and you want a quicker game, then you can replace me now before you begin. I do realize it may take years to complete the game and I'm in it for the long haul. The game will have slow points and quick points, let's just work through em.

Hi,

I have played my turn and sent the save to Panos.
I'm playing Ghandi from the nation called India.

Regards,

Michael

I hope that game did not get stuck on Panos, or somewhere else and I will get second turn any minute now (it's been 24 hours since I sent first turn).
We should have given more thought to playing order. If we put it right everything would be running smoothly...

I haven't seen a game save yet; I been checking twice per day.

Edit: I recommend everyone send a confirmation email back to the sender when you receive a save file for the first few turns and carbon copy to urb so he can track it better. If you haven't got a confirmation within 24 hours, let urb know.

I haven't received the file yet. I wouldn't be opposed to reordering the roster and starting again. But I'm also not opposed to staying the way it is now, as I don't mind waiting for the file.

Game played and sent.

From my experience, the turnaround time for a game with this number of players is about right ... we are never going to achieve one turn per day.

Seems it's Panos who is holding the game. Maybe he didn't notice the game has begun. But if it takes 3 days for every turn it will probably be best to reorder.
While I was writing this massage Dazz_G finally spoke :) Great, cause I started to worry...

If you alter the play order you might reduce turnaround time but you still will not manage a turn every day. I would say one every other day is about as good as a game this size will manage and that is only if everything runs smoothly.

Yeah, I guess 1turn a day is this unreachable ideal which we can try to achieve, but will never manage to. Still I think it's better to point there, especially in the beginning. 3-4 years is always better then 10...

I totally agree. I just like to have everyone with a realistic turnaround in mind ... that way you avoid disappointed players dropping out when they realise the game is never going to be as fast as they had hoped.

I must stress again. Just don't get frustrated if you're waiting for the game file. Last PBEM I was in, someone got frustrated, left the game, and then the whole game fell apart. I'd hate to see that happen. Think of it this way, it isn't as bad as it was in the old days, if you'd play a chess game by snail mail. That took forever.

I think 2 turns/week will be about the norm; 3 would be ecstatic.

Can't the Adiministrator have the AI take over a player if someone leaves?

Are we going by any specific rules? Like, no war before 3500 BC.

Vitoria's or Elizabeth's England?
I was hoping to find an e-mail when I wake up. Since it's 4 a.m. in Deleatur's time zone I guess I'll have to wait one more day...

Excellent, first person - Elvis1985 - already wants to join. Come my friends (and foes too), and we should be running this game pretty soon...
I cannot understand one thing. Many people who sign for PBEMs choose random civilization. Why?! I thought in this kind of games everybody likes to play civ which suits him best. And every single move in the game is made carefully, to avoid any mistakes... Because that's not a game against stupid computer, or race on blazing! speed in ordinary mp. That's like some real challenge for me :) I hope it will be.
By the way, I'm middle class player, sth around prince/monarch difficulty on single player and I guess it would be best if people with some experience joined a game. I don't want to see somebody with one warrior defending his capital in middle ages... That's pathetic.

And about random civs - I think it will be fair for everybody if right after beginning the game everybody gets notified which civ you got - cause you'll know other players civs.

About the random choice of civilization. Don't you get christmas present's or present's when it's your birthday? It's the same principle, the excitement of not knowing what you are getting. But of course, you may be getting something you don't want.. ;)

Top Bottom