New Picard Trailer just dropped

I still enjoy star trek. The recent three new movies were fun. Despite the crappy plots (how many times can we do Khan), I thought the casting was great, the interactions made me think of the show I watched as a boy. But to me that's all it is, a couple of hours of diversion from the REAL WORLD. I really don't care if they get all the details right. I liked that Spock had a girl friend. We had Kirk and the crew and the ship. I was actually somewhat bullied by diehard fans because I didn't share their ire at some of the liberties they took. IT's a damn TV show. Even Patine was criticizing me for not being a fan boy. Get a life folks. Enjoy it how ever you like.
And around 15 I had to start working to eventually pay for my education (and decided women didn't have cooties) . Real life priorities. If you want to spend your time poring over and arguing about all the little details, fine. I think it's a waste of time but people are entitled to waste their time however they want. I don't even want to start on Star Wars. While a bit silly, I still liked the new ones and will go to the next one. It reminds me of a happy childhood and how much fun the originals were.
And for the record, I did attend some science fiction conventions.

But the fact that I didn't enjoy them - regardless of whatever reasons I may have stated - doesn't mean you should be feel entitled, and self-righteous, to come down on me like O'Brien and the Thought Police - telling me my reason for disliking is OBJECTIVELY incorrect, that I have no JUSTIFICATION or RIGHT to feel that way or hold that point-of-view, and that I should just shut and eat anything given to me by Viacom, and clap and be cheerful like a trained show seal given fish. I didn't even ask why you LIKED the new movies, or gave any opinion or statement on your liking of it. So what the Hell gives, there? Honestly?

But the fact that I didn't enjoy them - regardless of whatever reasons I may have stated - doesn't mean you should be feel entitled, and self-righteous, to come down on me like O'Brien and the Thought Police - telling me my reason for disliking is OBJECTIVELY incorrect, that I have no JUSTIFICATION or RIGHT to feel that way or hold that point-of-view, and that I should just shut and eat anything given to me by Viacom, and clap and be cheerful like a trained show seal given fish. I didn't even ask why you LIKED the new movies, or gave any opinion or statement on your liking of it. So what the Hell gives, there? Honestly?

However, your reason IS objectively incorrect. You certainly ARE entitled to like whatever you want, and if you said "I like this and don't like that" there'd have been no response at all. It's when you interject "I like the original for the continuity" that you are really just begging for someone to say "what continuity?" So I did.

All that time, we thought the Borg invasion was essentially Q's fault, but it turns out he was actually doing Picard a favor.

The implication was already there since in Season 1 "The Neutral Zone" already had outposts disappearing; this was implied to be Borg. Though I guess they became aware of Picard and him possessing Starfleet's secrets. But theni again many others probably would have to. Of course, this was for the purpose of storytelling. If the Borg assimilated some top ranking admiral, it's unlikely we'd care. Picard on the other hand, being the heart of the show, is another issue.

Also, could you imagine S1 TNG Starfleet being able to take on the Dominion? The same Starfleet that lets a kid waltz into engineering and almost cause it to blow up, or the same Starfleet whose idea of information security is to politely ask people not to peek into their files? Even if 24th century Federation citizens are all upstanding, certainly there are many non-federation folks that are not. Oh and did I forget all the children aboard?

PICARD: We may indeed. Those comm. panels are for official ship business.
RALPH: If they are so important, why don't they need an executive key?
PICARD: Aboard a starship, that is not necessary. We are all capable of exercising self-discipline. Now, you will refrain from using them.
RALPH: Now just a minute.

Of course, there are many incidents like this, and many more that happened that really showed the Federation since Kirk had gotten so complacent and stupid (not that they weren't already negligent) that they were practically suicidal.

If Q didn't come along, it's very likely the Federation would have been smashed-- if not by the borg, it would by something else. Yesterday's Enterprise shows the Federation was merely a hair's breadth from being destroyed by the Klingons. In any case, something was around the corner and they had to change.

Last edited:
I didn't even ask why you LIKED the new movies, or gave any opinion or statement on your liking of it. So what the Hell gives, there? Honestly?

Your condescension.

Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions, some opinions sound more credible to others than others. Opinions may be inherently, ideally equally in an Enlightenment natural human rights sort of way, but how they fly in general and the scope, impact, and reception they have in general, and among crowds, varies them extremely and loses all sense of "equality" at the later stage, I'm afraid.

I never thought that Q caused the Borg to come at Starfleet, I think it was well established even before Enterprise that they were coming already. And I think the retconning in Enterprise on this was well done rather than hamfisted.

Oh and did I forget all the children aboard?
I mean it fit with the sort of general purpose ship that the Galaxy-class ships were. They were general purpose, long-haul ships meant to support everything from colonies, to science missions to showing the flag near hostile ports and hosting diplomatic missions. They were later overshadowed by the big Romulan Warbirds and Borg Cubes but they were always these huge, multi-purpose ships to begin with. The kids were part of their flavor although as hostilities got worse over the course of TNG and DS9, yeah it became anachronistic of a more peaceful time. I'm sure by the time the Dominion was chewing them up in combat that the kids had been pulled off the ships.

I mean it fit with the sort of general purpose ship that the Galaxy-class ships were. They were general purpose, long-haul ships meant to support everything from colonies, to science missions to showing the flag near hostile ports and hosting diplomatic missions. They were later overshadowed by the big Romulan Warbirds and Borg Cubes but they were always these huge, multi-purpose ships to begin with. The kids were part of their flavor although as hostilities got worse over the course of TNG and DS9, yeah it became anachronistic of a more peaceful time. I'm sure by the time the Dominion was chewing them up in combat that the kids had been pulled off the ships.

Yea, but was it really ever safe to be on a starship? Even in the peaceful era, there were still lots of hostilities running around. And the Klingons are really easy to set off.

I guess this is colored by the fact that the deadly anamoly/holodeck malfunction of the week is the exception to the norm. But even with that in mind, we have no end to the amount of murderous entities/AI with a God complex especially in parts unknown.

It's a dangerous place out there. I hope they fix those exploding consoles eventually though.

However, your reason IS objectively incorrect. You certainly ARE entitled to like whatever you want, and if you said "I like this and don't like that" there'd have been no response at all. It's when you interject "I like the original for the continuity" that you are really just begging for someone to say "what continuity?" So I did.

Your condescension.

Okay, what we have now is just arbitrary attacks on my opinion that didn't inherently you two at all, or say any opinion you held on the issues was wrong, but just stated my, and now you're backing up these statements with even more arbitrary and complete idiocy and nonsense. You two are just not worth my time, or any one else's who has a brain still intact, if this is the typical of the way you usually carry on.

@Archon_Wing
This is a bit of a stretch but it's a bit like asking if it's safe to be on cruise ships because some ships go to war. War wasn't a primary function for the Galaxy class and really only their sheer size made them formidable in combat. I'm trying to remember if the Galaxy-class in the alternate universe where the Federation never makes peace with the Klingons were visibly different. They call them battleships in that version and internally they are definitely refit for war with additional combat stations and it's suggested they are much more potent than main-timeline Galaxy-class ships but I can't remember if they had anything like the dorsal cannon mounts and auxiliary phaser mounts shown on the future (refit) Galaxy-class of All Good Things.

In any case, they were not warships and I don't think they'd necessarily be that dangerous to be on compared to any other civil ship in the time of peace in which they were launched. Granted though, exploration was a primary function which I guess can be dangerous but then again when the ship is out there for 5 or 10 years on its own, it makes sense to allow for families. Starfleet isn't really a military outfit in the way the Navy is.

Crap I know way too much about this show lmao

This is a bit of a stretch but it's a bit like asking if it's safe to be on cruise ships because some ships go to war. War wasn't a primary function for the Galaxy class and really only their sheer size made them formidable in combat.

I've never been on a cruise ship that carries 250 torpedoes though. Yea, you could argue that the weapons are for self defense,but when it comes down to it, if there is a crisis, the Enterprise would certainly be called to assist in battle. And at the end of the day, the Klingons and Romulans still needed their best or some sneak attack, sheer numbers, a plot hole, or Riker being in command to defeat the Enterprise. And it's most of the Federation ships; I think Voyager was just a science ship but to a lot of their enemies it didn't seem that way. Also, the Enterprise actually messed up the first Borg cube it met pretty badly with just some phasers before it adapted.

That being said, I guess the Galaxy Class in particular was unique in being a mobile space station basically, and then there is what happens when they do want to make stuff that f's stuff up (eg, The Defiant, and also the upgraded versions of their older ships during the Dominion War including galaxy class ones)

Ah, well, my quip about the children is just a small thing. Other than the fact it allowed Wesley Crusher to be on the show, I just file it under the odd quirks.

or any one else's who has a brain still intact, if this is the typical of the way you usually carry on.

Yep condescending.

I still enjoy star trek. The recent three new movies were fun.
Nope. I only watched them because the people on TrekBBS wouldn't shut the hell up about them whenever I stated that based on the clips I'd seen and the articles I'd read, it was very likely I wouldn't enjoy them. And so I watched the first one, posted my negative opinions of it, and got flamed by a friggin' moderator over there (who, 10 years later, has still never acknowledged that it was inappropriate of him to do that).

Despite the crappy plots (how many times can we do Khan), I thought the casting was great, the interactions made me think of the show I watched as a boy. But to me that's all it is, a couple of hours of diversion from the REAL WORLD. I really don't care if they get all the details right. I liked that Spock had a girl friend. We had Kirk and the crew and the ship. I was actually somewhat bullied by diehard fans because I didn't share their ire at some of the liberties they took. IT's a damn TV show. Even Patine was criticizing me for not being a fan boy. Get a life folks. Enjoy it how ever you like.
Yeah, the Khan ripoff was pathetic. Here they have a brand-new timeline and what's the first thing they do? They rip off the best of the TOS movies, and what's worse, they do it so badly. If they really had to rip off the whole Eugenics wars vs. 23rd century thing, they should have just let Benedict Cucumberpatch play this guy named "John Harrison". There's no reason why Khan or some other warlord of that time couldn't have had a follower by that name. At least it would have meant we wouldn't be subjected to nuSpock bellowing "Khaaaannnnn!" even worse than William Shatner did, and for a much dumber reason. And it would have saved years of arguing over whether it was appropriate for Ricardo Montalban to play a Sikh in the first place.

The "Spock has a girlfriend" thing was pathetic. Yes, RealSpock was the target of RealUhura's flirting in an early episode of TOS. But it went nowhere, she realized it wouldn't, and went back to being professional. RealUhura was never his girlfriend while she was at the Academy, he was never her instructor, and there was never any cause to suspect that he treated her any differently from any other subordinate officer. And for damn sure, RealUhura never told RealKirk to shut up while she whined and complained at RealSpock about their relationship while in the midst of a dangerous mission. RealKirk would never have tolerated that, but nuKirk (aka Captain Frat Boy) in the movie just meekly took that bit of insubordination from her.

And around 15 I had to start working to eventually pay for my education (and decided women didn't have cooties) . Real life priorities. If you want to spend your time poring over and arguing about all the little details, fine. I think it's a waste of time but people are entitled to waste their time however they want. I don't even want to start on Star Wars. While a bit silly, I still liked the new ones and will go to the next one. It reminds me of a happy childhood and how much fun the originals were.
Since you were carrying on about elements of TV shows, I assumed you meant you found some other type of TV/movie entertainment at age 15 that was better. If you swore off all TV at that age, why didn't you just say so?

And for the record, I did attend some science fiction conventions.
Well, that's something. Actors as guests, or authors?

I prefer the ones with author guests. They're far more interesting people, and it's a lot easier to have a conversation with them. They also don't charge $$$ for autographs.

Eh? You mean your argument* surely? He just said he turned 15 and lost interest.

* Not that "argument" really applies to anything either of us said. Yours was a question and mine was a joke.
Since I was talking about other TV entertainment, my argument was just fine.

For me, the ongoing stories and character development are the main reason that I prefer television & movie series to 'single-serving' movies and episodic anthology shows. I also like series that remember their own history and connect new stories to old ones. It is, of course, all entertainment. Whether it adds anything to life is an open question, I guess. Roger Ebert called film an "empathy machine."
I really wish I'd placed a bet, back when the topic of TV-related conversation was, "Who do YOU think shot J.R.?" (J.R. Ewing in "Dallas" in case anyone has no clue who I'm talking about)

I realized right away that it had to be Kristin. She was the only non-main character at the time who had a compelling motive to do it, and who people would care about whether or not she did it. And the actress wasn't essential to the show, so she could easily be written out, either by having her die or go to jail, or whatever.

There was such tight secrecy about the identity of the shooter, and even whether J.R. was going to survive (Larry Hagman was renegotiating his contract and holding out for $$$$$$$/episode; if he got it, his character would survive, but if the studio said no, J.R. would die), and they shot multiple scenes of every member of the main cast, plus several secondary characters... including J.R. himself. So nobody knew who had done it.

As for why this was so significant... Dallas was the first of the modern night-time soaps, and after the first couple of seasons it went from anthology-style, loosely connected episodes to full-blown soap, with an ongoing storyline that continued for over a decade (and carried over to a spinoff soap, Knots Landing). This is the show that got a lot of viewers into the idea that shows should be connected like that, and that continuity mattered and the order in which people saw it would matter.

I remember back in the nineties when I watched Next Generation for the first time. In one episode(the Defector) Crusher referenced that she recently treated a romulan(the Enemy). I was overjoyed when I heard that because I think I was starving for continuity between episodes. So for me it was obviously huge deal that there was a reference to a minor incident that happened a few episodes before, since I still remember it clearly.

In my opinion, never EVER go back to contained episodes that never references or deals with things that happened before and with a premise that never changes and the clock is reset to zero every time the episode ends.
The reset button is one of the major complaints about Voyager. No matter how much hell the crew went through, or how damaged the ship was, most or all of it was reset by the end of the episode (if they weren't doing a two-parter).

That said, there were some loose storylines that carried through the series, although it's been frustratingly difficult to make some people understand that. The whole "redemption of Tom Paris" arc is carried throughout all seven seasons. The developing friendship between Seven of Nine and Naomi Wildman (who helps Seven learn that it's okay to have fun once in awhile - something Seven forgot because she had been only 6 years old when she was assimilated) carries on for over 3 seasons.

For me, that big moment was when Yar's daughter Sela first appeared, looping back to "Yesterday's Enterprise" a year-and-a-half later.

I also liked the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", which took the events of First Contact 7 years earlier, and looped back to "Q Who" 14 years earlier, and also told us something more about Q - that he didn't send the Enterprise-D to the Delta Quadrant in a childish fit of pique; he did it because he knew the Borg transmission from 22nd-Century Earth was about to reach the Collective. Throughout The Next Generation, Q was portrayed as having a fascination with, if not affection for, humanity - with Picard, in particular - and it seemed inconsistent that he'd do that (well, maybe not altogether inconsistent; he was also portrayed as being kind of a d**k - but he never seemed genocidal). All that time, we thought the Borg invasion was essentially Q's fault, but it turns out he was actually doing Picard a favor. I think that storyline is one of the few I'm aware of that used time travel to good effect, where a prequel added something, and a "ret-con" changed something in a way that actually made it better.
This ignores the fact that the first humans the Borg encountered (in the 24th century) were the Hansens (Seven of Nine's parents and Seven herself, when they were all human and studying the Borg). The Hansens were assimilated years before the Enterprise ever heard of the Borg.

The reason the kids were aboard the Galaxy Class starships was because those ships' missions weren't intended to be a mere 5 years; Picard's Enterprise was intended to have a mission lasting something like 10-20 years.

Of course that's far too much time for people to be separated from their spouses and children. It would severaly impact morale, and besides... having kids on board meant a greater likelihood that most of those kids who had the aptitude for Starfleet would probably want to join. There was no shortage of educational opportunities, so other than being on a ship, it wasn't too different from the bland 24th-century version of Earth that these people were used to.

Since you were carrying on about elements of TV shows, I assumed you meant you found some other type of TV/movie entertainment at age 15 that was better. If you swore off all TV at that age, why didn't you just say so?

Well after 69 there was no Star Trek for quite a while. And yeah, working cut into TV time. I was usually at the country club doing odd jobs from sun up to close to midnight 6 days a week.

And while Spock having a girlfriend was so out of touch with the original, it gave the opportunity for some pretty good interactions that I found hilarious. I figured it was worth the trade off, but of course I don't take it quite as seriously as you seem to. To each their own.

At the conventions I usually went for the hucksters and the women. My interactions with the authors were usually playing poker with them. Those games were always very entertaining. Great stories.

Since I was talking about other TV entertainment, my argument was just fine.

I never said anything was wrong with your argument! Especially since it was just a question or an assumption, not an argument. I just suggested there might have been other things in life that took him away from Star Trek at 15, and your reply was "there goes your argument", which is surely one of the biggest non sequiturs I've ever seen.

The implication was already there since in Season 1 "The Neutral Zone" already had outposts disappearing; this was implied to be Borg.
Right, I remember that. And I do remember thinking that we were meant to think it was the Borg. Given that, I guess we have to figure that the Drones' transmission in the 22nd Century was informing the Collective of Earth's location and importance, not merely that there are undiscovered species in the Alpha Quadrant. That does raise the question of why the transmission was aimed at the Delta Quadrant if there was (going to be) a Cube nearby. I suppose we can figure that Drones don't carry a copy of every bit of information available through the Collective at all times, they just 'talk' to the Collective, so Drones that get cut off may not know exactly where every Cube is, but they'd always know where their homeworld is. I guess.

Top Bottom