New previews and screenshots from e3

Well I was hoping for an amelioration to the city screen... but we'll see... since it is rumored to be out in September which to me... is a bit early.

Hmmm and I was also hoping to get a bit more out of E3 - 4 screenshots and two-three lamentable updated previews ?

Interisting screenshots. Most interisting to me is the city screen. Talking about the city creen..... Some things seems to be new:

Horses now seems to need a colonist for growing (There is a colonist icon next to the stable).

Colonists can be locked.

Teachers are producing books (like mentoied abouve by someone)

I wonder, what kind of building there are on the buttom line next to fure traders shop and armory. One may be the custom house, and the other one? Maybe both right bottom icons (building + fence) represent the fortification?

edit: I see, one is the warehouse.....

A new Gamespy preview of Coloniation 2 got out : http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/civilization-game-untitled/891987p1.html

In it, we learn that everyone of the 52 founding fathers will only chose one of the four players - making it impossible for two nations to share the same founding father (and its benefits).

So the founding fathers are like world projects? I mean when you get a father then you cannot lose him. But I hope that the custom house is now available without a founding father or it would be very powerful if you get it and the others will not.

1) 300 turns doesn't cut it. I've recently played DosCol in a DOSBox and can tell you a good game is going to take well over 300 turns. Doing 1 turn per year doesn't make much sense, since technically, the US WoI only would have lasted 8 turns... makes no sense.

2) Portugal isn't in it because of many factors, among them that the King of Spain and the King of Portugal were the same person during a good swath of the game. The four powers in the game fit very well - you could swap the Netherlands with Portugal, but since they got in first, that is just the way this one is gonna go.

Venger

still no explanation for the lack of Portugal?

The lack of Portugal in the game makes perfect sense. The 4 powers chosen all had a serious stake in the new world because they were all trying to figure out a way to get AROUND it to get to the Indian Ocean. The Spanish, French, English, and Dutch really could have cared less for this New World initially; it was just a big obstacle of land getting in the way of where the known wealth in the world was concentrated.

Right before Columbus made his famous 1492 journey, Portugal's Diaz and DiGama had found a way around Africa's southern tip, which allowed them access to the Indian Ocean and all its wealth, without having to cross the vast deserts, stretches of land, and bandits. The Pope, in order to preserve the peace between powers, gave Portugal a monopoly on the South-African trade route, and none of the other powers of Europe were allowed to use it. In fact, this is the exact reason that Columbus sailed for Spain, and not Portugal. Columbus didn't sail to prove the world was round, he sailed because Spain wanted a route to the wealth Portugal had managed to find, and had some spare troops left over from the Reconquista that needed a distraction.

Thus, Portugal had zero need or desire to try and find a western trans-Atlantic route to India, because they'd already found one to the south. So while the rest of Europe was fumbling around the new world, setting up waypoints, and searching the land for some kind of quick access to India, Portugal was content to leave the rest of them to waste their money in the new world while it made Bank in the Indian Ocean.

It wasn't until Cabral "got blown off course" to the eastern shores of Brazil that Portugal really played any -direct- role. Their INDIRECT contributions, such as Portolan Maps, and the Caravel, and Henry's School of Navigation were invaluable assets used to find and explore the new world, but their direct involvement was not until much much later, after the other four powers realized there was wealth and power to be had from the New World, that they couldn't get to India because the New World was too dang big, and decided to colonize to the point that they were well established and had control over most of the New World.

The lack of Portugal in the game makes perfect sense. The 4 powers chosen all had a serious stake in the new world because they were all trying to figure out a way to get AROUND it to get to the Indian Ocean. The Spanish, French, English, and Dutch really could have cared less for this New World initially; it was just a big obstacle of land getting in the way of where the known wealth in the world was concentrated.

Right before Columbus made his famous 1492 journey, Portugal's Diaz and DiGama had found a way around Africa's southern tip, which allowed them access to the Indian Ocean and all its wealth, without having to cross the vast deserts, stretches of land, and bandits. The Pope, in order to preserve the peace between powers, gave Portugal a monopoly on the South-African trade route, and none of the other powers of Europe were allowed to use it. In fact, this is the exact reason that Columbus sailed for Spain, and not Portugal. Columbus didn't sail to prove the world was round, he sailed because Spain wanted a route to the wealth Portugal had managed to find, and had some spare troops left over from the Reconquista that needed a distraction.

Thus, Portugal had zero need or desire to try and find a western trans-Atlantic route to India, because they'd already found one to the south. So while the rest of Europe was fumbling around the new world, setting up waypoints, and searching the land for some kind of quick access to India, Portugal was content to leave the rest of them to waste their money in the new world while it made Bank in the Indian Ocean.

It wasn't until Cabral "got blown off course" to the eastern shores of Brazil that Portugal really played any -direct- role. Their INDIRECT contributions, such as Portolan Maps, and the Caravel, and Henry's School of Navigation were invaluable assets used to find and explore the new world, but their direct involvement was not until much much later, after the other four powers realized there was wealth and power to be had from the New World, that they couldn't get to India because the New World was too dang big, and decided to colonize to the point that they were well established and had control over most of the New World.

The thing is though, Portugal was still a major power, just in a different part of the world. So what would have happened if Portugal didn't find the southern route, and ended up in the New World also? The whole point of Civilzation(and Colonization) is to play out an alternate history. At the very least, someone needs to mod Portugal in.

Top Bottom