New Resources?

bbobb23

Chieftain
There has probably already been a thread like this before but I can't find it so...

What new resources do think they could/would add?

I think they still should add the tulips as an unique Dutch resource :) in the right hands, the Dutch can be powerful enough though so I do not really see it happening. But it would be fun and just.
I'd also like to see more mercantile resources which can be connected to a specific CS, for example that diamonds/jewels are Antwerp-only.
There's probably still a bunch of exotic fruits that can be added to the game. You can add more ground resources but that can bring the risk that it would be too much connected to the 19th-21th century.
Something that I really would like to see is the ability to chance the function of luxuries; selling ivory in the 20th century is definitely a no-no. Would be cool if you can change it to for example (eco)tourism, giving it different rewards.

that would be cool. Also if they somehow made the leaders pay more for something they want, like if their city requests silk and you have silk, then they might pay 300-350 gold for it. They could maybe also add wood as a bonus resource, +1 production but i dont know if it would be obtained through plantation or mine..

Cultural "luxuries" like paintings, hit singles and blockbuster movies. Those would be provided by certain wonders, like the Louvre, the Broadway and Hollywood.

Cultural "luxuries" like paintings, hit singles and blockbuster movies. Those would be provided by certain wonders, like the Louvre, the Broadway and Hollywood.

Thirded. But other than things like that or Mercantile CSes, I don't see any reason to add more luxuries, as in the "found normally on the map" variety. Since each map limits the number of resources it will spawn, adding more types won't give you a greater variety in any given game - you'll just have more variety *between* games, and I think there's already enough of that. Plus they already have a good balance of resources tied to different techs and yield bonuses, which seemed to be the reason they included the extras in G&K. (For example, there didn't used to be many [any?] luxuries that gave extra food yield, but then they added things like Truffles, Citrus, and Salt, each of which is connected to a different technology/improvement).

tl;dr: if they're going to add more luxuries, I'd like to see the as something other than just tiles on the map, like the Civ IV culture resources, which were awesome.

They could maybe also add wood as a bonus resource, +1 production but i dont know if it would be obtained through plantation or mine..

While that would be nice, wouldn't that mean every tile forest tile would have "wood"? Perhaps only certain types of wood, like balsa or whau or hardwoods in general.

While that would be nice, wouldn't that mean every tile forest tile would have "wood"? Perhaps only certain types of wood, like balsa or whau or hardwoods in general.

I think a wood resource would be nice, if it wasn't too commonly spawned of course. Overall, I think more resources could be overkill, but more variety doesn't hurt. There's only so much room on the map for resources, too many could lead to easy exploitations.

I think wood as a resource is already represented just fine. You have the tile yield itself, the lumber mill improvement, and the hammer yield from chopping. Seems like that's more than enough in terms of simulating wood as a resource. Just a different way of expressing it.

Chocolate and coffee would be cool. But I heard they are already making a mod with them in it.

I do wish their were more temperate/artic resources though. Choc and coffee will prolly only span near the equator, just like citrus, bananas and ivory (their may be others, can't remember).

Any ideas for temperate/artic resources? Besides clubbing baby seals;)

I think wood as a resource is already represented just fine. You have the tile yield itself, the lumber mill improvement, and the hammer yield from chopping. Seems like that's more than enough in terms of simulating wood as a resource. Just a different way of expressing it.

I really think wood should be a strategic resource, each lumber mill giving you +1 wood, and Caravels, Frigates, and Privateers require 1 wood to build.

Since it's a strategic resource, you can trade excess wood and also get them from city-states as well. Much like how England got most of their naval supplies from the city states of Hansa and the Baltics.

It is represented, but not at an international scale. Wood-rich countries like CANADA and the UK export wood. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sell otherwise useless forests to production-deprived countries for a lump of gold?

Chocolate and coffee would be cool. But I heard they are already making a mod with them in it.

I do wish their were more temperate/artic resources though. Choc and coffee will prolly only span near the equator, just like citrus, bananas and ivory (their may be others, can't remember).

Any ideas for temperate/artic resources? Besides clubbing baby seals;)

I always found it interesting that they never added coffee to the game, it was one of the most valuable resources in world during the 18th century and is still used today in large amounts. Whats more surprising is that there are 3 references to coffee in factoids in the civilipedia.

I would like to see more industrial resources, using a system similar to Realism Invictus. This would grant a way to "improve" luxury resources in the cities.

For instance, one textile mill could be allowed for each instance of cotton/wool a player has (these resources are NOT used up, but trading away the resources when you're maxed out on textile mills means that one or more textile mills shut down). One Textile Mill could produce two cotton/wool clothe luxury resources. You would get the happiness bonus as usual, and feel free to trade off one of those resources to another civilization.

Buildings that provide power could increase the productivity of these buildings (+5% production in the city, not more shirts from one cotton).

Likewise, you could use the same system for food resources.

I'm not sure how well this could work with strategic resources.

Rubber- requires mining [chop down a forest] Strategic- required to build units that require tires.+3 production
Apples-requires calendar[construct a plantation/orchard] Not a luxury, like wheat and sheep +3 food +1 production
Watermelon-requires calendar [construct a plantation]Luxury +2 food
Almonds-requires mining [chop down a forest] Luxury +1 food
Ethanol- requires scientific theory [construct a refinery]Must be built next to corn or wheat. Strategic-Provides double quantity of Oil when worked by a
city. -2 food +4 production
Corn- requires agriculture[construct a farm] Same with apples,wheat and sheep. +2 food +1 production
Strawberries-requires calendar [construct a plantation/orchard]
+3 food

Ethanol generates only enough energy that it takes to generate the ethanol you're generating with energy.

Why don't you need iron to make battleships?

Top Bottom