New Succession Game

Yay! Nice work everybody.

I normally mod a couple of things for my solo games - remove the pollution caused by factories as well as remove the chance of some resource changing places (e.g. iron jumps from your territory to your enemy's). Clearing pollution is just too tedious and the resource flips can be really annoying too. I didn't have any mods active during this game though and I'm pretty sure that all that matters is what mods you have when the game was started. They then get saved to the save file and can't be changed, at least without using any normal tool that comes with the game.

As for another game - I will probably be quite busy in the coming months and would not necessarily have the time needed for another SG so I think it's better that I'm out. Enjoyed this game a lot although I missed the battle on the other continent. Got to kick some Dutch arse though, that was fun!

What's Silent Squeeze?
Combination of two variants: silence, and the squeeze.

Silence- we may not initiate any discussions with the AI and must refuse all demands. Rat 39 is a silence game, so you could look there for the rules.

The Squeeze- we can only found cities inside our cultural borders and may not capture any enemy towns.

I think this game would be extremely challenging even on Emperor.

Silent squeeze could be interesting to try. I think Rel/Com might be the way to go, religion for quick, cheap temples and commercial for the lower corruption. Silence leads to war, so Rel/MIL might also be a decent trait set. Why am I so insistent on Religious? To expand, we'll need cheap Temples to get the culture needed to expand. Without them, it could be a short, brutish game.

I think Celts are the best for it. They've got a good UU, and with a tight squeeze, we'll need more settlers, so agricultural would help out a lot, and religious is a must.

But I've still got to gauge my school situation (which starts Monday) before I decide if I'm going to play again. With that said, I don't think that my input for what another game should be should count.

That sounds like a very interesting game indeed. I first thought that a scientific civ might be better for the culture expansions as libraries are actually useful unlike temples. However, you'll probably be dead way before you can even build a single library in a game like this so temples are a must indeed. And also, if you build them in pretty much all your core towns, they aren't actually useless unlike in a normal game. So yes, I agree, a religious civ is a must for this type of game.

Let's see your options:
Japan: mil/rel, samurai (knight)
India: com/rel, war elephant (knight)
Celts: rel/agr, gallics (swordmen)
Egypt: rel/ind, war chariot (chariot)
Babylonians: sci/rel, bowmen (archers)
Spanish: rel/sea, conquistadors (explorers)
Arabs: exp/rel, ansars (knight)

I would personally go with some civ that has an early UU and a useful other trait, probably the Celts in this case. The other Bab trait (sci) would get pretty much wasted in this variant as you wouldn't need the cheap libraries anyway. The other Egyptian trait, ind, isn't that important here.

The other UUs come in the middle ages which I would much prefer in a normal game but not with this variant. If you choose strictly by the traits, Japan or India might be the best civs as TheOverseer714 suggests above.

Edit: a crosspost with Own. Seems we agree on the Celts.

Fear of Flood is another variant I have yet to try: you may only build on hills and mountains (need to tick an extra box in the editor for that), and you pity poor AI towns that have been built on the flat, so you won't attack them; only towns on hills and mountains are the ones you want.
Win condition is spaceship, as you feel the whole world is going to strip under, so you want to get out of here.
Could lead to a builderish style of play, as you can't just conquer and spread out over the map like normal.

Top Bottom