New thread. How many people still play civ3

I was ecstatic over civ 3 when I saw complete on Steam for 4.99, and still play it to this day, it's easy to mod, play, and overall a good game, prefer it over 5, but it ties with 4.

Think the Conquest version of Civ3 is still the best in the series.
Fnally came back after some years of Civ4, which in the end doesn't feel 'epic' enough, and the suizide artillery just drove me crazy.
Now I dig up some old half finished world map games and feel home.

Hmm...strange. I started playing Civ with Civ2 and loved it. I then played Civ3 and loved it as well. Finally, I got Civ4 and just absolutely got obsessed with it. 3 was a good game but I think 4 is just so much more interesting. But then, I hate 5.

I've been AWOL for a while- got a new PC that can actually play games from this decade, but I'll come back to civ 3

I wish there were more user created scenarios/mods though...
Have you tried MEM ? CCM ? AOI ? Worldwide ? EFZI2 ? Hegemon ? There are a lot more of them, just go to the "C&C" subforums (Creation and Customization).

My first expreience of civ was civ3. I fell in love with the game, and spent hundreds of hours totally immersed.
Exactly the same fo me, except that I never stopped playing. I used to play more, but I'm still creating stuff for C3C, modding and playing after 10 years. And still discovering things :)

Warms my heart to see people still playing. I play though I'm not great at it. Got a thread in the multiplayer forum looking for members for a PBEM game at the moment.

Am 69. Began by playing Civ I. Advanced through Civ II, Civ III and Civ PTW to C3C which I still enjoy.
Tried Civ IV but didn't like it. Have but have not played Civ V. What I play now are secnarios, WWII, WWI, Exploration and Ancient, most of which I modify to a greater or lesser extent. As a game C3C is an enjoyable pasttime and hobby.

Am 69. Began by playing Civ I. Advanced through Civ II, Civ III and Civ PTW to C3C which I still enjoy.
Tried Civ IV but didn't like it. Have but have not played Civ V. What I play now are secnarios, WWII, WWI, Exploration and Ancient, most of which I modify to a greater or lesser extent. As a game C3C is an enjoyable pasttime and hobby.
Ah, so I'm not the only Senior Civver around (though I am only 55).

Good to see another Older and Wiser Guy around to keep us young whippersnappers in line! :D

Ah, so I'm not the only Senior Civver around (though I am only 55).

Good to see another Older and Wiser Guy around to keep us young whippersnappers in line! :D

I wonder how many of us Oldsters there are here? :twitch: I'm officially old this year.

Ten years ago I bought this game and came to CFC, and by god I'm still playing it. :p

I still play it. I'm in the middle of a massive match with a bunch of friends. We've been going about 1 week now, hopefully it continues on a bit longer.

Been playing for about ten yrs;only game I play.
I'm coming up on 65 myself.

I wonder how many out there like myself who never post (just outclassed by others ability to mod the game and I'd just rather play the modest mods I can do)
Its good to see the site active,would really miss it
The historical one liners and quotes at the end of posts are worth a visit alone.

I wonder how many of us Oldsters there are here? :twitch: I'm officially old this year.

I feel old at 48. Anyway, I've been playing Civ3 for over 5 years now. It's the best money I have ever spent on any game. I've gotten tons of playtime with it.

I feel old at 48. Anyway, I've been playing Civ3 for over 5 years now. It's the best money I have ever spent on any game. I've gotten tons of playtime with it.

Hmmm, at 48, you are still a youngster, being younger than my kid sister. I am 62, and been playing Civ3 since 2003. I teach a game design class, and have two kids who are playing Civ3 and several that are playing Civ4 and Civ5.

Wow, you've been playing Civ3 since when it first came out! And it sounds like you've got your kids hooked!

I love designing games. I've been creating tutorials on how to do everything in CIV3 and, trust me, it's been very hard figuring out how to do stuff.

I don't think anyone explained the script.txt file correctly. I had to figure everything out myself. Now my tech advisor says something correctly whenever you hover over a tech. At first, they were all out of sync and/or didn't work at all.

Also, I figured out a cool way to change tech screens using a GIMP 2 layer approach... where you paste your arrows on a 2nd layer and then you copy the 2nd layer and add it to a blank tech image and save and you're done. You don't have to worry about coordinates on a grid at all...

Anyway, one of the things I may need help on in the future....and maybe you can help... is trying to figure out the best way to configure air units. I want to make them more useful and balance the game somehow.

I've been working on a mod for about 4 months now and I think I still have about 3 or 4 months to go... it's so complicated and time consuming... but I LOVE it ! :)

I'll marry the first woman I meet who plays Civ3 !!

I don't think anyone explained the script.txt file correctly. I had to figure everything out myself. Now my tech advisor says something correctly whenever you hover over a tech. At first, they were all out of sync and/or didn't work at all.

You can post what you have found in the Civ3 - Creation & Customization forums or you can write a tutorial about what you have found.

Anyway, one of the things I may need help on in the future....and maybe you can help... is trying to figure out the best way to configure air units. I want to make them more useful and balance the game somehow. I've been working on a mod for about 4 months now and I think I still have about 3 or 4 months to go... it's so complicated and time consuming... but I LOVE it ! :)

Your questions will be answered best in the Civ3 - Creation & Customization Forums.

I'll marry the first woman I meet who plays Civ3 !!
Well, that´s darski. You met and quoted her in post 74 of this thread. :D

I played civ3 when it first came out, but it never drew my attention like civ2 did. I played some, but kind of forgot about civ, until 4 came out, that has easily become my favorite game of all time and my second most played (only behind the life pit that is wow).

Anyway I picked up c3c off a steam sale and am having major issues adjusting back from civ4. It should in general be simpler right?

I put about 3 hours in over two games, neither got out of ancient era. First was greeks on a large continents, regent difficulty. France north, Persia south. I expanded what I thought was a fast pace but everyone still has more tech and a couple more cities. Persia decides to invade and while my hoplites stop their immortals without too much trouble, I can't expand and defend so I gave them maths or something for peace. Then france invades from the north, basically an opportunistic grab because I moved all my troops south to fight persia. Frustrated I play a second game, this time as india.

Same settings, I find myself in the middle of some sprawling grasslands all alone so I expand fast again (what seems like fast). Build infrastructure, granaries, roads, temples, all that good stuff, my economy is booming! But I stupidly beelined monarchy so everyone has way more tech than I do and I can only trade for so much. Also get beaten to oracle by a couple turns. I decided no prob, I'll just build a crap load of swords and go conquer people with my absurd production with monarchy but iron is on the other side of the world. Again quit in disgust. Regeant (prince level) is supposed to be easy!

It seems like since there's nothing to check your expansion, aside from settlers costing people, (maintenance costs in civ4 and happiness in 5) you want to spam cities as much as possible, then build infrastructure later. True? Also seems like despotism sucks and really limits growth but bee lining monarchy or republic ruins your early tech. There seems to be too much luck involved with strategic resources. They seem a lot more spread out and rare than civ4. Finally defending in 4 was super easy, city walls with some culture meant the AI might use up to 5 axes killing one archer. In 3 a couple swords dominate my spear.

What should I do, spam settlers, research more balanced? Keep 3-4 units in cities to defend?

I played civ3 when it first came out, but it never drew my attention like civ2 did. I played some, but kind of forgot about civ, until 4 came out, that has easily become my favorite game of all time and my second most played (only behind the life pit that is wow).

Anyway I picked up c3c off a steam sale and am having major issues adjusting back from civ4. It should in general be simpler right?

I put about 3 hours in over two games, neither got out of ancient era. First was greeks on a large continents, regent difficulty. France north, Persia south. I expanded what I thought was a fast pace but everyone still has more tech and a couple more cities. Persia decides to invade and while my hoplites stop their immortals without too much trouble, I can't expand and defend so I gave them maths or something for peace. Then france invades from the north, basically an opportunistic grab because I moved all my troops south to fight persia. Frustrated I play a second game, this time as india.

Same settings, I find myself in the middle of some sprawling grasslands all alone so I expand fast again (what seems like fast). Build infrastructure, granaries, roads, temples, all that good stuff, my economy is booming! But I stupidly beelined monarchy so everyone has way more tech than I do and I can only trade for so much. Also get beaten to oracle by a couple turns. I decided no prob, I'll just build a crap load of swords and go conquer people with my absurd production with monarchy but iron is on the other side of the world. Again quit in disgust. Regeant (prince level) is supposed to be easy!

It seems like since there's nothing to check your expansion, aside from settlers costing people, (maintenance costs in civ4 and happiness in 5) you want to spam cities as much as possible, then build infrastructure later. True? Also seems like despotism sucks and really limits growth but bee lining monarchy or republic ruins your early tech. There seems to be too much luck involved with strategic resources. They seem a lot more spread out and rare than civ4. Finally defending in 4 was super easy, city walls with some culture meant the AI might use up to 5 axes killing one archer. In 3 a couple swords dominate my spear.

What should I do, spam settlers, research more balanced? Keep 3-4 units in cities to defend?

Actually in my experience 4 is simpler than 3, though I've only played a few games. So, yes spam settlers a lot. If your playing on higher difficulties going for republic or monarchy early is usually a good idea. The AI's really value government techs and you could trade for a whole bunch of other ones.

Top Bottom