New Unit: Crossbowmen

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
Its finaly finished :). The crossbowmen is ready to download. It also comes with its own Single portrat for use in the Units_32.pcx file. Enjoy the unit :). Here is the first part.

Here are the required sounds for use with the crossbowmen unit

...And must not forget to post a preview ;).

Originally posted by zulu9812
did u take the sounds from AoK as well?

No. I just used sounds from the Bowmen and the Swordsmen. I Could extract the sound for it, but I would be getting lost in the sound archives :crazyeye: since the place were I got the AoK MPS just had a document on what the Graphics number is. Sadly :( they did not have the samething for the sounds.

Originally posted by Chris85
I'd hate to stray away from Dark Sheer's Crossbowman, but this one looks way better. :goodjob:

Perhaps you could use them both as flavour units. Thats what I am going to do. I also use Jimmyh's Chu-Ko-nu unit from AoK as a flavour unit. So this will be fantastic.

:goodjob:

Originally posted by Jimmyh

How many days of your life did you spend doing this unit?

I just spent 2 mins!

Skite! ;)

Just kidding. You both do excellent work!

[dance]

I must not be understanding everything. You said you included a single portrait for use with Units_32.pcx but I didn't find it in the zip. All I got was the .ini and 5 .flc files.

I've always thought that the longbowman should have been a england unique unit (in my custom games some civs have up to 3 unique units) and the longbowman should be replaced with a crossbowman for everyone else but without that protrait I have to had this to the growing list of DLed units I can't use without haveing to resort to using a stock icon.

Kyle

Originally posted by Tilarium
I must not be understanding everything. You said you included a single portrait for use with Units_32.pcx but I didn't find it in the zip. All I got was the .ini and 5 .flc files.

I've always thought that the longbowman should have been a england unique unit (in my custom games some civs have up to 3 unique units) and the longbowman should be replaced with a crossbowman for everyone else but without that protrait I have to had this to the growing list of DLed units I can't use without haveing to resort to using a stock icon.

Kyle

If you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty use FLICster (free - should be able to find in the utilities section) to export one of the flics to a pcx storyboard. Then use a graphics editor to create a unit32.pcx.

A popular choice here seems to be Paint Shop Pro, but personally I prefer "GIMP" (also free, look for it on Tucows) - it scales the images better than the chop-job that PSP does. Anyway...Select one of the images, cut it out by trying to get as much of the image in as small a box as you can. Then scale it so that the largest dimension shrinks to 32 pixels. The other dimension will be as big or smaller. Not a problem. Next paste it into an empty box of your units_32.pcx and presto! You're done!

First couple might take a while, but once you get the technique down you should be able to whip-em-out as fast as you can download them.

BTW: Not sure if you're aware of this, but you're not constrained to the small number of additional units that the original units_32.pcx has room for. You can cut-and-paste as many additional empty pink rows as you need. Well... I dunno... maybe there's a limit but I haven't reached it yet.

Originally posted by Jewell Man

I prefer "GIMP" (also free, look for it on Tucows) - it scales the images better than the chop-job that PSP does. Anyway...Select one of the images, cut it out by trying to get as much of the image in as small a box as you can. Then scale it so that the largest dimension shrinks to 32 pixels

OK. Maybe I'm just exceptionally stupid, but how the hell do you
re-scale something with GIMP? I can't get it to work, I've spent ages trying, and its DRIVING ME UP THE FREAKING WALL !!! :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Tweedledum

OK. Maybe I'm just exceptionally stupid, but how the hell do you
re-scale something with GIMP? I can't get it to work, I've spent ages trying, and its DRIVING ME UP THE FREAKING WALL !!! :mad: :mad:

:)
Don't be hard on yourself. I'm sure you're not stupid.

I don't have Gimp in front of me right now but if I recall the UI for scaling is a little confusing. The initial values it displays in the dimensions box aren't the actual dimension of the current image but rather the results of the previous scale job. Confused me at first too.

You should be able to determine visually which dimension is the longest - set that one to 32 and leave the other alone (don't worry, it will still scale correctly despite what you may see in the form). Make sure you're preserving the aspect ratio.

Keep in mind, it's free software written by technocrats so its bound not to be user-friendly. :crazyeye: That said, I haven't found anything better or as feature-complere for "free".

Hope that helps.

Should also mention that other forum members, such as zulu9812, have very generously provided units_32.pcx files with just about all the units on these forums provided. You could always use one of these if making your own is getting you down.

To be honest, I haven't used any myself and I'm not sure how up-to-date they're kept, but most of the creators here are decent fellows and I'm sure they wouldn't mind updating it for you if you sent them a nice polite request. ;)

Zulu9812 posted a message above and as he says, check his sig for one of these files.

Top Bottom