New Unit - Land Mine

lmicon.pcx is the icon that you can paste into units_32.pcx

I tried to paste it to unit_32.pcx and it wouldnt let me paste it there. do i have to paste it there? Where else can i put it?

Originally posted by Greeko
lmicon.pcx is the icon that you can paste into units_32.pcx

I tried to paste it to unit_32.pcx and it wouldnt let me paste it there. do i have to paste it there? Where else can i put it?

technically you don't have to paste it - you could use the icon of another unit.

What you need to do is load units_32.pcx into an image editor (maybe you are using an image viewer and it will not let you edit the image?) move the last 8 icons (after the privateer icon) up one slot. then load lmicon.pcx too and copy it. switch to units_32.pcx and paste it in the newly created open slot.

what program are you using to edit the units_32.pcx file?

If you are still having trouble changing the units_32.pcx (or anyone else), I have attached a zip with the units_32.pcx file with the land mine icon added.

NUCLEAR LAND MINES would rock. put them inside there base with hidden nationality. lol

You can use the land mine animations with a few minor changes to make them into nuclear mines:
  1. Create a subfolder under \art\units called "Nuclear Mine" (without quotes)
  2. Copy all the land mine files into "Nuclear Mine" folder
  3. Rename Land Mine.ini to Nuclear Mine.ini
  4. Copy ICBMAttackA.flc and ICBMAttackA.wav from \art\units\ICBM to art\units\Nuclear Mine
  5. Delete LandMineAttackA.flc and mineboom.wav from Nuclear Mine subfolder
  6. In the Nuclear Mine subfolder, rename ICBMAttackA.flc as LandMineAttackA.flc, and rename ICBMAttackA.wav as mineboom.wav
  7. Use the editor to add a "Nuclear Mine" unit to civ3mod.bic
  8. you're done! now go get 'em
    [/list=1]

Now you can have two mines:
    - Land Mines
    - Nuclear Mines

question: how the !@#$ do you get it to work like a mine? i haven't tried it myself though, I will when i get my disc replaced. could you explain it in detail or perhaps animations/pictures of it being used?
thanks

Originally posted by explodin dog
question: how the !@#$ do you get it to work like a mine? i haven't tried it myself though, I will when i get my disc replaced. could you explain it in detail or perhaps animations/pictures of it being used?
thanks

It works like this:
- you set the unit with the following A/d/m: 0/6/1
- give it the "submarine" ability (or "invisible" in 1.21)
- then when you build it, move it to where you want it
- fortify it there

- your enemies won't see it, and run right into it

sorry, I cant post any pictures of it right now.

Hey guys this is a Great unit I am using it like this.

Land Mine Cost 4, 1m/1a/5d, Range: 8, ZC checked, 5b/0r/1f, HP Bonus: 2
Advance: Gunpowder
Requires Saltpeter
Abilities: Invisible, Detect Invisible, Imobile, Foot Unit
Actions: Load, Airlift, Airdrop
Scripts: Land, Defensive

Advanced Land Mine
Cost:5, 1m/1a/15d, Range 8, ZC checked, 15/0/1 HP B:5
Advance:Synthetic fibers
Abilities:Invisible,Deect Invisible,Imobile,Foot Unit,Lethal Land Bombardment
Actions:Load, Airlift, Airdrop
Scripts: Land, Defensive

Basicly they work like this they can only be used in cities until you get airports, Yes the AI uses them but only in cities even when they have airports.

They rock.

Originally posted by Meop79
Great Idea about the nuke mine... but nukes are so horible in this game....

thanks for the compliments.
as for a nuclear land mine I think it is a little unrealistic.
land mines are designed to kill whatever steps or passes over it.
nuclear mines would blow away a whole battlefield.

but it does make a fun unit if you do it that way.

hmm, wouldn't this mean that the mine stays if it wins the attack?

And dissappeares if the enemy wins?

Not like a mine, it should damage the enemy and self destroy. I don't think that's possible in the game.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
hmm, wouldn't this mean that the mine stays if it wins the attack?

And dissappeares if the enemy wins?

Not like a mine, it should damage the enemy and self destroy. I don't think that's possible in the game.

the way i see it is that the mine unit actually represents a mine field not a single mine.
when an enemy moves into its space, it blows up hurting the enemy. The enemy attacks it back weakening it. This represents how mines are being cleared off from the enemy tripping them. If the mine unit is weak (which represents that most of the mines in the field have exploded) the unit has a better chance of passing through it. (and disabling the mine field)

Originally posted by richard shults
how do i download the compete mod for star wars? or is there one

I think this question is in the wrong thread. Anyway, I know tpasmall was working on a star wars mod. I dont know if he finished it. Try clicking on the Search button in the forum and looking for "Star Wars Mod"

Here's how i see it:

0/10/0 (maybe add bombard w/ range of zero too?)
Submarine
Hidden Nationality
Paradrop
Airlift
Immobile
Cruisemissile

Then give it "Explore" instead of offense of defense so the AI will actually send them out. Then, as far as mine sweeping, you don't need a new unit.

Give Fighters or helicopters "see submarine" flag, extend their range if you want. So when they do recon missions, they'll see the mines. you can then bomb it with a fighter or bomber to clear it. I haven't playtested it, but the only problem i see is that the AI instead of doing recon with planes to see the mines, will just send mine fodder to clear out fields. Either way, it adds some extra strategy.

Okay, I didn't follow and I don't understand, so I have a question(s)...:

1. What properties can I give it to be realistic? Which ones work well?
2. Will the AI be able to use it?

What works best if you want a realistic mine is this:
A/D/M 0/6-10/1
give it "explore" under AI Strategies
make it Invisible and Hidden NAtionality

one thing: I tested it the other night, and apparently the recon mission does not adhere to the flags, so it doesn't see invisible units on recon missions even if it has the "see invisible" activated.

So two solutions: Make the explorer "see invisible", so you gotta take him along on war campaigns to sweep, or just get rid of the invisible flag on the mine.

Another problem, with the hidden nationality flag, the AI goes into privateer hunting mode, and seeks them out like as if they're gold nuggets. They're like moths to the flame, they just keep coming at them, which is the opposite of the intention. They're suppose to avoid them if possible.... so its up to you if you want to flag it as hidden nationality, i took it off.

By the way, the wav file sounds a little funny, like its not looping correctly...

Top Bottom