New Unit: Sloop take 2!

Orthanc

Shipwright
And another personal record is set! This thing took me just three days!

Anywho, this is the retake on my first unit, it's basic design is very different but that's intentional. I'm very pleased with how this little (VERY little!) guy turned out and hopefully he'll be a good addition to the growing navies of the community!

I very much doubt that I'll be able to punch out another unit before Christmas, the next one being a Fluyt of dutch design (were Fluyt's made by anyone else?), which might end up looking exactly like the ones in Pirate's! Gold, since I'm "hopefully" getting that for Christmas. :xmas:

Well here's the file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Sloop2.zip

And I'm attaching an enlarged up Civilopedia pic, although you can also just look at my Avatar.

Happy Holidays! :xmas:

Attachments

• Sloop2.bmp
    192.1 KB · Views: 2,820
Fluet was a Dutch transport ship. A better UU than the "Swiss Mercenary" in my opinion.
Nice Sloop btw. You weren't kidding when you said small. Makes sense though, in comparison to ships' size in civ.
If I may make one suggestion for your fluet: Darken/dirty the sails, please. It looks nice having them look nice and new, next to civ's boats they look a little too bleached.
Thanks.

Will do, Bungus. "Dirtying" the sails is fairly easy, and maybe I'll do that for the rest of my sailing vessels, though I think I'll leave my finished ships the way they are now.

thanks ripptide, and nicely done yourself in releasing/re-releasing like a hundred new units! This forum has been turned upside down overnight! :goodjob:

Very nice , Orthanc! I just love this little boat... :)
I think you should add your units to the Unit Artist's Library...

Orthanc said:
I very much doubt that I'll be able to punch out another unit before Christmas, the next one being a Fluyt of dutch design (were Fluyt's made by anyone else?), which might end up looking exactly like the ones in Pirate's! Gold, since I'm "hopefully" getting that for Christmas. :xmas:

Hey very good. And if you make the Fluyt look like Pirate's Fluyt, well, thats just spiff, because I'm pretty sure that I'm going to make a Pirates for Civ3 Mod...

Very nice sloop, Orthanc! I look forward to the dirtier sails!

Orthanc said:
the next one being a Fluyt of dutch design (were Fluyt's made by anyone else?), which might end up looking exactly like the ones in Pirate's! Gold, since I'm "hopefully" getting that for Christmas.

I hope you are getting the Pirates! remake and not Pirates! Gold (Unless, of course, you are getting the Limited Edition that comes with Pirates! Gold). I must say, though, that you'll love the game!

This is a beautiful ship. i've already added it to my mod. Check out this i found on the web; a bit lengthy, but interesting:

"In 1749, a Mr. Sylvanus Cobb acquired the armed sloop York and became a privateer for the British government of Nova Scotia. General Cornwallis was to describe Cobb as a man who, "knows every Harbour and every creek in the Bay [of Fundy], a man fit for any bold enterprise." In 1753 Cobb assisted with the settlement of the community of Lunenburg by helping transport and protect the 1500 settlers until they could establish themselves. In April of 1755, with the beginning of the Seven Years War, Cobb took two French prizes which provided him with the princely sum of 120 pounds. Recognizing the value of the sloop for privateering, other nations adopted it for this purpose. Fredrik Chapman, the brilliant Swedish naval architect, designed a privateer sloop of 62 feet in length with an armament of 8 three-pounders and 2 six-pounder bow chasers and used the sloop design for many of the vessels he developed for the Swedish Inshore Fleet.

Sloops were often used for exploration as well. In 1775, the Spanish sloop, Sonora, carried Don Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra Mollineda and a group of explorers to anchorage at the mouth of Tomales Bay at the southern end of the bay which now bears his name, Bodega Bay in what is now California.

Sloops became an important part of the American colonies, particularly when they began their struggle for independence. Many armed schooners of note sailed under the American flag at that time. There was the 12 gun Providence, the 10 gun Independence, the 10 gun Sachem, the 10 gun Hornet, and the little 4 gun Mosquito. Strangely, despite broad success by the class in the war for independence, sloops were not widely accepted by the newly formed U.S. Navy. But soon after the war, the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service, predecessor to our modern Coast Guard, was founded and among the first vessels to be built for use was the Argus. She was 48 feet in length, 16 feet wide, and had a draught of only six feet which would allow her to follow a smuggler into any creek, river, or estuary. Built in 1791 at New London, Connecticut, she was armed only with swivel guns, and, "probably ten muskets with bayonets, twenty pistols, two chisels, one broad axe" according to a journal of second mate Nathaniel Nichols, who kept a journal from 1791-1795.

However, one of the most universally recognized names ever given to any vessel was given to a sloop captured from the British by Benedict Arnold in May of 1775. She was built at Fort St. Johns (now St. Jean sur Richelieu) and captured there when Arnold took the fort. Carrying only 8 guns, probably three-pounders, she had a displacement of about 55 tons, a length of about 46 feet, and a beam of about 17 feet. Not much more is known about this little craft. Why, then, is she so famous? Her original name, George III, greatly offended General Arnold so he renamed her - and after the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, she became the first USS Enterprise." :borg:

here's the website i got it from if you want to read more.
http://www.burningsea.com/ (go to the "Ship Guide" on the left-hand side)

Which brings me to another idea..... a Pirate Sloop! Something you might think about doing after your work on that beautiful Fluyt is done.

Thank you very muh for that extra info, and especially for that site link! It should prove very useful quite soon.

I'm not entirely sure at this moment what I'll do after the Fluyt, there's a Dune scenario that was in the works that I was interested in, but I haven't heard from them in a little bit. I also still have a Titanic to do, but we'll see how things turn out.

Top Bottom