New Unit: Sniper

this has been out a long time but i haven't seen it before! nice, looks like the modern infantry.

Sourboy, do you know if there is a way to actually limit unit production to 1 for every 4 cities like the army? The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to do the same thing for the Makou cannons in my FF mod (so that every city doesn't have stacks of 8 makou cannons, despite the 500 shield cost).

BTW, I like your sniper unit, and even though I don't have any immediat uses for it, I've got it earmarked for "future projects."

Hikaro Takayama said:
Sourboy, do you know if there is a way to actually limit unit production to 1 for every 4 cities like the army? The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to do the same thing for the Makou cannons in my FF mod (so that every city doesn't have stacks of 8 makou cannons, despite the 500 shield cost).

BTW, I like your sniper unit, and even though I don't have any immediat uses for it, I've got it earmarked for "future projects."

i guess you could give the unit the army flag
but then it would conflict with existing army units
(8 cities will only support one army and one makou cannons, instead of two of each)

That would work, since the Makou cannons are almost as powerful as an army (30 def, +1hp and 50 tile bombard range), in terms of defense, and require slightly more shields to build.

Hikaro Takayama said:
That would work, since the Makou cannons are almost as powerful as an army (30 def, +1hp and 50 tile bombard range), in terms of defense, and require slightly more shields to build.
that is HUGE!!!!! :eek: i can see why you'd want to restrict it

BTW, why'd u post ur question in this thread?
EDIT never mind, i read up a few posts and so the relevancy of ur question. my bad :crazyeye:

Hikaro Takayama said:
Sourboy, do you know if there is a way to actually limit unit production to 1 for every 4 cities like the army?

Another option, which is what I use to limit the Sniper unit (& Covert Ops units) in games, is to make it auto-produced from a small wonder or swap it with the army - and make that auto-produced. That way you can directly regulate their numbers, and reward the limits according to how quickly the tech was discovered & implemented, rather then by cities. This allows more Britian, Germany, Japan style Civs to still have power, not just America, Russia, China types.

Personally, I think it is fine for new people to post about a unit they like.

They were not hear to post when the unit was first introduced and no offence, but it is actually more annoying to view a post that was made just to point a "damning" finger at someone as if they committed a crime when they merely made a nice post about a unit they just found and like.

This is Not a situation where an Older Post was brought back from the "Dead" just to make a post for the sake of gaining a post count.
...There are many others who missed units when they were first posted and they probably appreciate seeing some of them ...besides, the Administrators do a Fine Job and really don't need help "policing" the site :)

by the way...make a few units and see if it "bothers you" when someone likes them enough to post that they do...even if they don't see them until much later than others. :)

THANKS MAN YOU ARE MY HERO!
this will help me out,if i could,i'd buy you a drink

Warhead,

First, welcome to C&C :goodjob: Second, bumping threads more than about a month old without a reason beyond praise is frowned upon - it just adds clutter to whatever board it's on.

Best Regards,

Oz

People make Posts about older units quite frequently and generally it is ok and doesn't really clutter much at all... CIV III still has a following and I am sure it will for quite some time to come but there are not as many people participating here now and the new people who discover units they like for the first time should be able to post about them.

Perhaps there should be a New Sticky Thread called "Older Unit Graphics Post" where anyone can make a post regarding a thread that is over one month old.

This would accommodate OK posting about Old Threads without Cluttering the Newer Threads. In Fact, it would totally avoid Older Threads mixed in with the New Ones. Then IF someone Posts an Old Thread in the wrong place, they can be informed about the "no no".
I am sure Unit Makers would not object to this :)

I agree with Vuldacon. I would definitely be flattered if someone went back and bumped up one of my "older" units, especially if it is a compliment. I personally wouldn't discourage it at all.

Besides, I agree with Warhead, this is one of my favorite Civ units of all time, next to the Spetsnaz (sp?) unit. When great units like this get bumped, newcomers have a chance to find them a lot easier. otherwise they may never know it's here unless they rummage through the units library with a fine tooth comb.

BTW @ Warhead, have you seen this unit yet, it is truly amazing!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=37451

It's Balou and Steph's Spetsnaz unit. The previews have long since become defunkt but the download link is still good.

I think it's good to keep alive the old Civ III units and all the great work my predecessors have done. It reminds us all that Civ III is still alive and well. :goodjob:

Well, it wasn't my intention to start any ongoing discussion that is off topic on this Unit Thread. Not sure it can be done easily due to the fact that these older threads were posted here and if anyone makes a post on the same thread, it will be placed in the same area ...unless all threads older than one month are automated to show in a new area.

In any case...here is a Sniper Update I made and added to Escape From Zombie Island for the upcoming Game Update.

I made the Default, Fortify and Run translucent to represent invisible and stealth. Also added a much better Attack.wav with a nice report and a new Death.wav.
These files are the additional/changed files as well as the original files for completeness and simplicity.
You can Get the File Here

Well, I hate to throw my 2 cents in, but I will...

I dislike the bumping of old threads because it makes me think that there is a new graphic or unit to look at. However, I do agree with Vuldacon that there should be a place that old bumped threads go (Is there a thread heaven?)

Spacer One... In this case there are some new files for the Unit anyway...
More than likely, there will not be an "Old Unit Thread". IF a File is Updated or something new is added...it is ok to post it and as I have said all along, if a New member wants to post something about a Nice unit they were not here to see when it was released...it should be ok as long as it does not get out of hand. So Far this has work well on this Forum. I also want to add that this Forum is not the Most Current anymore so we all are making "new" files for an Older Game. What I am saying is No Worries, we really don't have any problems here. :)
Adding the Date to the Unit Files helps one to know if a Post is Older and most Unit Makers do this now anyway.

sourboy... Great Unit and I use it in seceral Games Old or not :D

Top Bottom