New units: Corsair ships

Aw yes, I remember. This was the naval flag used by the French in The Patriot. So most likely it was a late Kingdom of France naval flag. This would be a nice flag for somebody to create for a leaderhead.

Originally posted by Mobilize
... I guess it could be a naval flag, or a merchant flag.
Seems so. Could it be both? It looks like some sort of the pre-1792 french naval "civil ensign" (=white cross on a blue field) combined with fleurs-de-lys.

The fleurs-de-lys means "royal" or somthing like this, the white cross on blue field says: "civil ship". Civil means not owned by the crown. So the ship is private but could be bound by "royal" instructions -> may be this shows a privateer? Just a guess, but histroical flags often "speaks" to us some way.

Woohoo, the Black Ships shall arrive in the nick of time for the Battle of the Pellenor Fields!!!
Originally posted by aaglo
A rather interesting question:
Do you want a version with black sails and the logo? (4th version, that is... ;) )
:eek: Naah, three is plenty!

What about a different logo? Or what that be too much trouble? Don't really know what kind of logo exact, but some that would fit the zulus perhaps? A cow/cattle skin for the sails? or just a bull on the sail?

edit: this for the "black sail" version if you choose to do it...

Originally posted by Arne
The fleurs-de-lys means "royal" or somthing like this [...]

"Fleur-de-lis, (fr.). Although there has been much controversy concerning the origin of this bearing, no doubt it represents the lily, but in a conventional form, such as was produced by the workers in metal. It is essentially the Royal Badge of France, having been adopted by King Louis VII. in the twelfth century, in allusion to the name lois, or lys. It appears amongst the Royal Badges in England in the time of the STUARTS."

-- A GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED IN HERALDRY

-Oz

About the flag.

I have look around at crwflags. The Greeks have used this flag without the lilies some times, last during the dictatorship in the 70's of last century, but never at sea. So it must be a French flag, then they used it on ships. A similar kind of flag is the one of the Canadian province Quebec. Note: Xebec <-> Quebec ! Coincidence? :confused:

@aaglo

Thanks for this brilliant ships! :goodjob:

BTW: I hope your creating break will be shorter as the last one. :cry:

Originally posted by Aluminium
Note: Xebec <-> Quebec ! Coincidence? :confused:
Hm, yes. I think it's coincidence. AFAIK "Quebec" sounds like something in Huronian(?) (native American) language.

Top Bottom