NEWB4: Eat where you live

Noble Exercise Work Book IV

Previously, I had set up these challenges with a specific goal in mind, but it never quite worked out the way that I had intended. So I'm changing up the format slightly.

Normal game speed and you are playing as Roosevelt.

GOAL: to score six points on the demographics screen by turn 100. You score a point by having the #1 ranking in a demographic; only the first six categories count.

Constraint: every city you settle must be adjacent to a food resource.

THE SAVE

Are you sure this challenge intended for 'newbs', because

Spoiler :

competing with creative civ without strategic resource possible and the amount of land gilga gets...

I admit I didn't got desired result, even if I was pretty close, has to be the razed city 4 :).

Does that mean that you have to be 1st in the 1st 7 categories of the demographics screen? or that it's any 7? And is it on turn 100, or any turn before turn 100?

Does that mean that you have to be 1st in the 1st 7 categories of the demographics screen? or that it's any 7? And is it on turn 100, or any turn before turn 100?

7 points is first in the first 7 categories of the demographics screen on turn 100.

As a newb, it would be helpful to include a link to enough information to understand the demographics entries. It's a pretty daunting challenge simply because, from the newb perspective, there's a lot of unknown information to be managed. (and judged on!)

A more manageable challenge, like being first in two categories, also might get more participants. Yes, it would be less instructive, but you have to weigh potential pedagogical value with the probability of the students managing to complete the assignment. :)

VoU, want to kick us off by posting your turn 100 save? I am assuming you have done this already, since it'd be kinda messed up if you hadn't at least tested the map out first ;).

I don't think this is quite feasible. It might be totally doable on noble but when I usually play I can be #1 in soldiers, land and production but my GNP is dead last.

Without map knowledge and an amazing start with a creative and/or financial leader I just don't see this happening. Be aware that you are competing with a creative civ (mild spoiler) for land. Also early cities usually get put adjacent to food specifically so you don't need monuments. Now with that said. You are getting less than half the land for every city compared to creative, or you have to waste hammers on libraries which when trying to win some sort of early land grab isn't a top priority.

Lastly I have every confidence that you have played this yourself and got all 7 points. Surely I am too used to monarch that I can't balance everything right on noble.

First of all, I only count 9 things on the demographics. Are you sure you meant the top 7 (which would include approval rating)?

Also, I lost this challenge.
Spoiler :
I went for the shinies in the hills nearby, and oracled feudalism. I've only got 5 cities since it's a pretty dry map type (teutonics adds lots of mountain ranges, too, of course).

First of all, I only count 9 things on the demographics. Are you sure you meant the top 7 (which would include approval rating)

No, I'm clearly not. Why on earth did I think there were 7?

Whew. Not to be mean, or anything, but it's good to see that you deity players are fallible, too :p

Did you check this map out before posting?
Spoiler :
It's a long way to the horse, and I still haven't found any copper. I'd decided to go for early longbows, because I figured that would help my soldier count far more than regular bows. I think my plan would've worked out ok if we were using 1 AD instead of t100.

Well, here's the best I could do. The land area criterion seems really damn hard, it might be possible with Stonehenge though. Save file is attached.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Newb IV BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    131 KB · Views: 29
My feeble attempt.
Spoiler :

I screwed up the timing of the library in Washington by 1 turn. GNP would be 168 with it (checked next turn).

Sheesh, that wasn't even close for kossin. Alright, I'll have to shut up and keep trying, then.

Impressive kossin. I still can't get this. Its way easier to max out a few categories and murder the AI.

@kossin

Spoiler :

did you reduce through war gigla's expansion?
In my game he was at T99 with around 150k land area... you wouldn't be there before him without war.

@kossin

Spoiler :

did you reduce through war gigla's expansion?
In my game he was at T99 with around 150k land area... you wouldn't be there before him without war.

Spoiler :
If you look at the other posted game, the leader is at 95k land... usual randomness. I had plenty of time and hammers to expand more (as well as 2 spots with food), I just didn't care to because I was ahead.

Regarding Gilgamesh, I found him late but he was offering me a worker, so I took the worker then choked him until he managed to squeeze out a settler for the bronze :)

Wow this thread is really cool and I feel there is a ton of knowledge to be gained from it but everybody's pretty quiet.

So for those of you that accomplished it, how did you do so and for those that didn't what went wrong.

I rarely look at the demographics screen and don't know how to manipulate it so i am sure there is stuff to learn here.

I am gong to do some searching through the forum for some articles on the demographics screen and might make my own thread if I don't get any responses from this one.

Top Bottom