Newbie GoTM Questions

WS DX

Chieftain
Hi, first time GoTM/HoF-er, there are a few things I'd like to be absolutely sure on before I start.

I downloaded GoTM 3 a few days ago as a practice, however when it comes to the real thing should I change the name of the save file to my username and date, or leave it as the leader name and date?

Everytime I stop playing and save the game, at the end do I submit all the saves inbetween the start and finish or just those two?

And finally, in the rules it says about not playing each GoTM over and over again, does this mean only the first score you submit for each GoTM will be accepted, or that only the first time you ever play the map is eligible to be submitted?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi, :wavey:

Welcome to CFC and to GOTM.

WS DX said:
Hi, first time GoTM/HoF-er, there are a few things I'd like to be absolutely sure on before I start.

I downloaded GoTM 3 a few days ago as a practice, however when it comes to the real thing should I change the name of the save file to my username and date, or leave it as the leader name and date?
The name of the file you submit doesn't matter. Name it whatever is most convenient for you.
WS DX said:
Everytime I stop playing and save the game, at the end do I submit all the saves inbetween the start and finish or just those two?
You only need to submit your final save - that is the save from the turn after your victory/defeat after you have clicked "continue playing". You don't need to submit the start save.
WS DX said:
And finally, in the rules it says about not playing each GoTM over and over again, does this mean only the first score you submit for each GoTM will be accepted, or that only the first time you ever play the map is eligible to be submitted?
Only the first time you play the map will be eligible for submission. If you have played gotm3 for practice you can't start over and submit the new attempt.

WS DX said:

Welcome to CFC!

You can change the leadername to whatever you want. Whenever you submit the game to the GOTM site the server automatically changes the save file name anyway, so it really doesn't matter. I always change the name so it's easier for me to find in my typically long list of saved games.

In GOTM you have to submit the save after your victory is complete. Once you have won the game click "Lemme....play....one....more...turn" and than save the game. It's this save that you submit. With GOTM you only have to submit the one save, with HoF games you have to submit the 4000 BC save, the save after victory, and they suggest up to two saves in between.

Once you open the GOTM save and begin playing the game, you must complete that specific game and can only submit that game. Whether you win or lose it is that, and only, that game you can submit. After you have completed that game and submitted, you're free to go back and play it as many times as you want.

Edit: Cross posted with Theoden (GOTM Staff), ignore mine.

But how are you going to find if someone played it for the first time or not. I mean, one could make a copy of the file, load it, practice on it and then play using the other copy and submit the new score. Isn't this rule more of a "game spirit" type rather than "enforceable" type?

BTW, I have got GOTM4 and will be practising on it. I won't submit it. I am just asking the question because IMO it's an interesting one and I am curious about it. Emperor is too high for me right now.

EDIT - I have never played GOTM in the past. Hoping to have a good score in GOTM5 ;)

Another question about the spoiler threads. When can I open a spoiler thread?

bippukt said:
But how are you going to find if someone played it for the first time or not. I mean, one could make a copy of the file, load it, practice on it and then play using the other copy and submit the new score. Isn't this rule more of a "game spirit" type rather than "enforceable" type?
This keeps coming up. Please explain to me, a bear of very little brain, what possible motive you could have for doing this?

Most of the rules of GOTM are down to "game spirit" since there's no other reward than the satsfaction of knowing you played honestly and achieved your ranking on a level playing field. If you tilt the playing field in your favour then how do you measure your true performance, other than your performance as a cheat?

There are no prizes, only mutual respect and admiration among players. Cheating will get you a very hollow version if this commodity, and if it makes a significant difference compared with your normal performance then trust me, it will stick out like a sore thumb.
Another question about the spoiler threads. When can I open a spoiler thread?
You don't. Ainwood or another member of staff opens spoiler threads and the first post defines what you should have achieved before reading them. It also defines what limits you should use when describing that phase of your game.

First of all, thanks for replying so fast.

AlanH said:
This keeps coming up. Please explain to me, a bear of very little brain, what possible motive you could have for doing this?
There is no need to call me that. I have never played a GOTM before and had a few doubts, so I asked information about them here. But I guess that since you have been asked this question many times before, it irritates you.

Most of the rules of GOTM are down to "game spirit" since there's no other reward than the satsfaction of knowing you played honestly and achieved your ranking on a level playing field. If you tilt the playing field in your favour then how do you measure your true performance, other than your performance as a cheat?

There are no prizes, only mutual respect and admiration among players. Cheating will get you a very hollow version if this commodity, and if it makes a significant difference compared with your normal performance then trust me, it will stick out like a sore thumb.
Okay, got it (and I agree). But I must clarify again that I was not going to use them. I just wanted to know. Thanks for telling me.

You don't. Ainwood or another member of staff opens spoiler threads and the first post defines what you should have achieved before reading them. It also defines what limits you should use when describing that phase of your game.
Sorry for confusing you. What I wanted to know was - Can I read them before submitting my game. I used the wrong word ("open"). I think that you have answered my question. Thanks again!!!

Sorry if it came over a bit strong. As you guessed, this seems to have become a commom question, answered many times in this forum, and for the life of me I can't understand why.

Mine was a genuine question, and if you read it carefully, it was *me* I was referring to as a "bear of very little brain", not you.

AlanH said:
Sorry if it came over a bit strong. As you guessed, this seems to have become a commom question, answered many times in this forum, and for the life of me I can't understand why.

Mine was a genuine question, and if you read it carefully, it was *me* I was referring to as a "bear of very little brain", not you.
Oh! I misunderstood it completely. Sorry about that. I guess this sort of thing happens occasionally when English isn't your (mine) mother tongue, though I must confess that I consider my english to be reasonably good.

Keep up the good work! We Civ fans need you people :goodjob:

bippukt said:
We have had cases of this before, and we have excluded entries because of this before.

Top Bottom