• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Newbie Questions 2 - post them in THIS thread please!

You get the same amount of food from your city tile regardless of the terrain under it, so build on the crappiest tiles and leave the good ones for working.

True. I think someone should do a full study on what you get from tiles when building a city on them. Food will ALWAYS be 2, regardless of terrain. Building on an iron hill, will net an extra shield, IIRC, (but not as many shields if you mine it and have a citizen working on it). Gold does not seem to have a limitation, so building on a gold hill or luxury/resource that adds gold and nothing else, is almost always a good idea, because you get the commerce bonus right away.

woh the second newbie questions thread i posted here about 2 weeks ago and the first one was still here so at least this is cutting down on the huge number fo threads where killer had to go in and say RTFM

Bamspeed: check the FAQ - I just added somehting nethog pointed out to me on that topic in the Town and Production management section.

Originally posted by danwhit

I am using 1.29f...If I remember correctly and have updated every time a new one came out and it never was fixed. This was what I was worried about...It's probably my disk copy that is screwing it up. I bought it the first day it was out, so its the very first version(I knew better). Does anyone know how I can fix this?
danwhit, I had precisely the same problem with every version of the game up to and including 1.29f. To fix it, I had to update the device driver for my graphics card. Now it works like a charm; I can see the lines in the foreign advisor screen (for those civs I have embassies with) as well as the little outline that follows settlers around - you may not even know that exists!

Question: How can you get to moderaterdom? Is there a 3000 post requirement or something? DO you get selected by raffle? Just wondering how they do it.

Originally posted by VinManAgent11
Question: How can you get to moderaterdom? Is there a 3000 post requirement or something? DO you get selected by raffle? Just wondering how they do it.
There have been threads in Site Feedback asking the same question, and I'll try my best to answer this:

AFAIK there are two basic reasons for a new moderator: if a new forum is created or if a previous mod retires. Getting to be a moderator has very little to do with postcount, and it's defenitely not done by random. Whenever someone suggests a new forum idea (for example a forum about music), the suggestor, if he/she has been "good" (helpful, no spamming or other instances of getting into trouble, never gone crazy, etc.) Thunderfall may ask the suggestor if he/she wants to be the moderator of the new forum. If the suggestor isn't a good choice or the suggestor declines, then TF would appoint someone else that meets the "good" requirements. And the same system/requirements apply if a moderator retires. (like when gonzo was chosen to be PaleHorse's successor after he retired)
So the short answer is it mostly has to do with your reputation of being a good and helpful poster.

Am I in Civ3 or what? Sounds like what you have to do to be elected Secretary General or be trustworthy. Let's see...should I give Incense to TF?

Originally posted by hbdragon88
Am I in Civ3 or what? Sounds like what you have to do to be elected Secretary General or be trustworthy. Let's see...should I give Incense to TF?

You could bribe me with beer and tobacco!
:beer: :smoke:

ARGH. Killer! Somebody! HELP ME! :cry:

I accidentally pusehd "W" or some key like that an zoomed out on my map! I can't figure out how to zoom back in. :(

'Z' it is (or maybe 'y' if your country selection for the keyboard is screwed up). Or try going via the preferences --> map --> zoom thing ;)

Ok, I'll try it. :mischief: But my keyboard IS screwy because I accidentally kept changing my language settings for my keyboard. So when I tried to make a lump sum offer of gold at one point, I was getting accented letters instead of numbers and I could only get the nubers when I used shift. :ack:

Originally posted by Becka
Ok, I'll try it. :mischief: But my keyboard IS screwy because I accidentally kept changing my language settings for my keyboard. So when I tried to make a lump sum offer of gold at one point, I was getting accented letters instead of numbers and I could only get the nubers when I used shift. :ack:

:mutant: :ack: keyboard, I'd say......

you could simply try installing US keyboard setting and then changeover to it via the little button in the lower right hand corner - or doesn't your windows display that?

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.

:mutant: :ack: keyboard, I'd say......

you could simply try installing US keyboard setting and then changeover to it via the little button in the lower right hand corner - or doesn't your windows display that?

I've got that, but the problem is I can (obviously) have different keyboard settings for different programs I'm using simultaneously. :eek: So, say, in Word, I can be set it to English, but in Civ3 I've set it to (via some keys I accidnetally pushed, I'm almost sure) to French or Spanish (the other two settings I have currently). So when I try to set it back to English for Civ3, I just end up setting some other program to english :ack: (It would be a lot easier if Civ3 wasn't full screen, so I could see the taskbar whilst I'm attempting all this. :mischief: )

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
:aargh: Hm, I guess you'd be better off reinstalling civ3 :(

Whoa, it's only happened, like, once. Today. :eek: I think the keyboard thing will revert back to default if I restart my computer.

Hey all,

As a long time veteran of diety level on Civ2, I have recently acquired civ 3, and been playing it pretty much non stop whenever i could for the past week. I'm going ok; (persians, huge map, large continents except for the fact that I'm so bogged down by corruption my science cant progress to keep up with the AI in REGENT level. I've read the posts on corruption, the whole deal with the optimal number of cities, but you have to build a tonne so the computer doesnt get a foothold on ur land! Even on democracy, with the forbidden palace, courthouses, police station etc its absurd how corruption/waste can be over 50%? Of course civ3 is a game, which we assume is modelled loosely on real life concepts. Assuming this, is this to say that the authors believe that corruption is this endemic to human society? Surely not. Perhaps the levels of corruption need a rethink in a new patch?

I would welcome all of your comments on this issue.

Lord Matthias:

Corruption is a huge problem in CiV3 but there are ways to minimize it.

The best way (but some would call it cheating) is to modify it in the editor, to do this you must have the 1.29 patch.

If you don't want to edit, then the next best way is to move your palace. First choose a site for your FP, if you do not plan on palace moving then it should be as far away from the palace that is still a semi-proficient city. If you plan on moving your palace then this site would become the palace site and the FP should be built near to your origional core cities as possible (this keeps your core productive even if it is far from your palace). Keep moving your palace slowly ( max 2 or 3 times) until it is in the center of your planned empire (usually the continent you are on)

If you plan on conquering more land past your continent you may decide to move it again, but this is dependent upon how large your origional continent is.

Of course, courthouses and police stations are critical to reducing corruption as are WLTK 's. Having a city linked to your culture helps as well.

One more thing Culture is also an issue in CIV 3, the further a city is from your palace the more vulnurable that city is to a CF, an additional reason to moving your palace. (Fp's do NOT affect the possibility of CF's only the palace)

Hi Again

Thanks bomber for your help in regards to that corruption issue. Just another point To even construct the forbidden palace you need a good city because you can't hurry it; thing is you want to build the forbidden palace in a corrupt part of ur continent far away from ur original palace. By virtue of these cities being corrupt, it takes AGES to build it, hence a catch-22 is created in the gameplay.

Editing the rules is akin to "save-loading" - it is SO cheating!! (Most definately cannot do that, it makes you feel so dirty)

(Save loaders get a bad reputation around my gaming buddies, its also a problem with appreciating posted save games, its also something ive delved in from time to time in my early civ2 days, when you lose those critical battles... ANYWAY!)

That's why you always should use a leader to rush the FP.

And you really need to unlearn some of the strategies of Civ2. One of them is that you should accept that some of your cities will be almost 100% corrupt, no matter what you do.

It's really a good idea to build the FP soon, and close to the palace, then jump the palace with a leader. I usually do so on huge maps.

Remember: the palace can jump around, the FP cannot - so use the FP for your core empire.

Top Bottom