Newbie Questions - ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread exists solely for the purpose of newbies asking questions - saving everyone from thousands ;) of new threads on how to build a city or where to find the 'other' 8 civs in the F4 screen.

The fiirst few posts will be reserved for me and I will collect frequent Qs and As there.

This thread will NOT include the information contained in the FAQ - that is for stuff which is NOT in the manual, or difficult to find. This thread here is for newbie questions ONLY :mwaha:

;)

How do I upload files via the easy uplaod feature, and how can I link to them??????

1) make sure the file is aof an allowed type (*.jpg, *. zip, be carefull with *.SAV). Renmae the file to something that is probably not yet taken (uploading a file names savegmae.zip will result in it having to be renamed. if you instead name it AoAsAIcheatproof.zip it is very likely the name isn't taken yet.)

2) on the bottom of every page there is a link to the easy upload feature:

when you click it you get a window:

click browse, select the file(s) on your PC, then click upload. The maximum of files you can upload via one window is 3.

3) now you just have to post a link. ype your post as you always do. whre the link is supposed to show, type (without th *s):

h*ttp://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/yourfilename.zip

if it is an image and you want the image to be displayed in the post, type:

[img*]http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/iagename.jpg[/img*]

again without the *s

If I build a city directly on jungle, is it then at risk of disease?
No!

Should I first clear the jungle or does the city get the normal food without that?
The city gets normal food (2) and production (1) and commerce without clearing the jungle.

Is the 512 city limit per civ?
No, all cities in the game are counted.

Hey there Killer "M":
Thanks for taking our questions...
I just started a new Civ3 game and I got a horrible location.
A coastal area filled with jungle except for one hill space. The only redeeming feature is a fish square.
I'll play this game anyway to challenge myself.
My questions are:
---If I build a city square directly on a jungle (or floodplain) square, does the city's population itself run the risk of disease? I couldn't find a clear answer to this.
---If it IS safe to build on this jungle square, should I clear it first with a worker anyway so I can get more resources from the city square?

Thanks for letting me know.

:confused:

TimeValue:

you can build on the jungle w/o risk+
no need to clear it, a city square gives 2 food 1 prod - cleared or not. Only if there is a resource on it that gives higher commerce will it give more than the normal commerce (depending on civ you play)

Have only just started playing and my first few games were random maps, which were fine. However, when I tried to play on the world map (which, by the way, is absolutely TERRIBLE) I found myself as the romans in the Chinese start position! Is there any way to fix it so that civs start in the right place on the world map?
Thanx in advance...

Mozenwraith: this should be fixable now with the scenarios. You can also use the Civ Placement Tool to do it. Also, if you want a better world map, check out KittenOfChaos's project in the creation and customization section. He's done a much better world map, and gives instructions on getting proper start locations.

Hi all
Iam one of the newbee's
i have two Question

1. whats with expansion pack & add on ? do they look like the real game. if i understand it right they are "games you pro have made"

2. when are they going to make a carrier that you can land a helicopter on

newman

I have captured a rival civilisation's capital, and had to make all remaining citizens entertainers to avoid going into civil disorder.
Now the city has starved and has a population of 1.

Despite having 4 happy faces (via luxuries), and 4 content faces (via a temple & 3 military police), whenever I make the remaining citizen productive he is unhappy.
Clicking on his unhappy icon says the unhappiness reasons are :-
93% "No more draft !" &
7% "Stop the aggression against our mother country !"

I don't quite understand this because I have not been drafting any units (in fact I don't even have the necessary scientific advance).
The sole citizen is of the rival's nationality, but I have tried making one of my own nation's workers join the city & I get the same results.

Explorers are neat little units, as cheap "special forces" type saboteurs. Why can't they ride RRs? Can they be edited to do so?

(Actually, explorers are useless for exploring...I think I'll change their name to saboteur. Altho that will make their ridiculous stride all the more incongruous.)

Originally posted by Dran
I have captured a rival civilisation's capital, and had to make all remaining citizens entertainers to avoid going into civil disorder.
Now the city has starved and has a population of 1.

Despite having 4 happy faces (via luxuries), and 4 content faces (via a temple & 3 military police), whenever I make the remaining citizen productive he is unhappy.
Clicking on his unhappy icon says the unhappiness reasons are :-
93% "No more draft !" &
7% "Stop the aggression against our mother country !"

I don't quite understand this because I have not been drafting any units (in fact I don't even have the necessary scientific advance).
The sole citizen is of the rival's nationality, but I have tried making one of my own nation's workers join the city & I get the same results.

Dran, Unfortunatley when you take over a city you inherit all the things the previos civ leader did, so if the previous leader drafted alot you get blamed for it now since you are the new leader
:egypt:

Dran, Unfortunatley when you take over a city you inherit all the things the previos civ leader did, so if the previous leader drafted alot you get blamed for it now since you are the new leader

So does that mean I just have to wait until my citizen 'realises' I'm not doing any drafting ?

Originally posted by kittybush
i know the city limit is 512 but is for each civ
or total number of cities game wide

It's 512 for all civs totalled together. So that's one good thing about hitting 512 cities....the AI settler diarrhea will stop :p

Originally posted by Dran

So does that mean I just have to wait until my citizen 'realises' I'm not doing any drafting ?

Sort of. You have to wait until the unhappiness wears off, or you can get more luxuries into the city. This usually takes about 20 turns or so for me. What patch are you using? In one of the patches (v1.16f?) the AI would whip and/or draft the city to size 1, and that city would never be useful for the rest of the game. this was because the unhappiness lasted for 40 turns (instead of 20), and it was cumulative if you whipped/drafted several turns in a row.

Sort of. You have to wait until the unhappiness wears off, or you can get more luxuries into the city. This usually takes about 20 turns or so for me. What patch are you using? In one of the patches (v1.16f?) the AI would whip and/or draft the city to size 1, and that city would never be useful for the rest of the game. this was because the unhappiness lasted for 40 turns (instead of 20), and it was cumulative if you whipped/drafted several turns in a row.

v1.17f.
I don't know how many times the enemy drafted in the city, but I suspect a few as it went from pop 12 to pop 6 before I conquered it.
After the resistance ended it gradually starved down to 1 b/c even only 1 cit working was unhappy.
Are you saying that the unhappiness could last for 20 turns for each time the enemy has drafted in that city ?

yeah Dran what I like to do is if the city is over say size 7 I'll make em all comedians and starve the population down to about 1 or 2 and then build it back up with my own people

Re. explorers: BUG! they treat all terrain as road - even if railed.... Kind of like Pioneers of modern Armed Forces being incapable of riding trains because THEY COULD LAY THEIR OWN RAILS!!!! :lol:
BUT: very nice for sabotage :D

expansion pack: will come in winter. See link in the FAQ for more.

Carrier: you can go and mess with the helicopter in the editor - but as long as air units stay immobile it won't really help much :(

Garbanzo: nope! they are wondefull, but you should NOT fall into anarchy for too long - they may blow then.

Otherwise they are fine. if you have Hoover Damn on that continent, do not get Nuce Plants though, they are better but usually not worth the build cost and upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom