Newbie Questions - ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
Garbanzo: nope! they are wondefull, but you should NOT fall into anarchy for too long - they may blow then.

Otherwise they are fine. if you have Hoover Damn on that continent, do not get Nuce Plants though, they are better but usually not worth the build cost and upkeep.
Can´t I get one at least? Please?:lol: In my 100-shieldproducing capital or so.
If you produce 100 shields without any plants, you´ll do 150 with coal/solar/hydro-plant and 250 with nuclear plant, right? (Hmm.. that sounds too much...)

Thanks for the help, Killer!

Kevin: I think the army counts as the number of units in it, but I AM NOT SURE!!!!

Garbanzo: the plant is applied to the basic production, as is the Factory and the Manufacturing plant.... if you have a really huge producer, do build a Nuke Plant, even if you have Hoover Damn :D (request granted ;))

If an explorer is on auto explore does it wake up when it sees a goody hut. or does it automatically pop it. I want to change my production so I will get a chance at a settler.

it will auto-pop it IIRC. :( Bad, when ou aren't expansionist, since then you may get barbarians... no more Explorer.....

Just a clarification so you don´t misunderstand Killer´s message: the Explorer unit will never get barbarians from goody huts. Not that there will be many around when oy get them, but anyway.

Garbanzo: when you say you produce 100 shields without any plants, I assume you still mean you have a factory in the city. That means the city produces 67 shields without the factory. So a factory and power plant (other than nuclear) will give you 134 shields. A factory and nuclear power plant will give you 177 shields. Disclaimers apply for rounding errors :)

If otoh, you mean you produce 100 shields without even a factory, then you will produce 150 shields with a factory and no power plants, 200 shields with a factory and a non-nuclear power plant, and 250 shields with a factory and nuclear power plant. Of course, producing 100 shields without production improvements is pretty far-fetched.

So yes, your original assessment of the nuke power plant was a little too high, they're not that good!

I made a deal to trade my excess iron to the Germans, but now my other source is exhausted. How, PRECISELY, do I check to see how long my agreement with the Germans lasts?

I don't seem to notice a significant reduction in corruption when I play a Commercial Civ. Does anyone else agree with this?

Originally posted by Flavor Dave
I made a deal to trade my excess iron to the Germans, but now my other source is exhausted. How, PRECISELY, do I check to see how long my agreement with the Germans lasts?

Talk to the Germans (F4, doubleclick the German leaderhead) and select the Active-tab at the bottom of the negotiation screen. There you see all active deals with the Germans, and in parenthesis how many turns it still lasts.

i dont get it.
when i bought the game i was it was "civilization3" and now everyone are talking about civ3.
whats the connection?

civ=short for civilization.
We are all to lazy to type 9 extra letters:lol:

I had a great game going on yesterday and then all of a sudden I lose cuz some knot-head was voted in Attorney General or whatever it is.

grrrr
:crazyeye:

I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

I played 5 games on Cheiftain. Lost the very first 2, then won the next 3. Moved the difficulty up to Warlord. Needless to say, it was much more of a challenge. So far, I've only won 2 of the 4 games I've played.

So I decided to _actually_ read the manual and download some FAQs, strategy guides, etc. What I mostly gleaned from my reading was how to use my workers in a more productive fashion (around my towns). Before my current game, I alwas had them automated (shift-a). Unfortunately, I'm experiencing way more unhappy townsfolk than I normally ever have. For some reason I think this is attributed to my "hands-on" use of my workers.

Let me explain. In my previous games, I almost never had to deal with an unhappy populace. Maybe a couple times with a freshly settled/conquered town that didn't have a road to it. Other than that, my townsfolk were all giggles. I usually never increased my luxury/happiness tax rate beyond 20%.

In my current game, the surrounding area around my towns is vastly more productive than what the AI workers are capable of doing (especially early in the game), but as I stated, I'm always having civil disorders in at least 2 - 4 of my towns every turn (out of my 11 cities (so far)).

It's always the same complaint: "It's too crowded in here!"

What I want to know is what exactly are they complaining about, and how do you go about fixing it? Right now I'm at the point where I have to spend 40% - 50% into "happiness" taxes just to keep my cities running. That coupled with my 40% - 50% into research has severely crippled my treasury. It's at the point where I can't really invest into public works (esp. cathedrals, collessuems, etc) w/o breaking the bank.

What else... this is the quickest that I've expanded to date (it's still fairly early in the game). This is primarily due to the fact that I haven't built any Great Wonders. I should also mention that I only have two different luxuries (furs and spices). I'm currently running under a monarchy, and I don't have a surplus of workers/units dipping into the treasury -- but I still can't make any money. It's quite exasperating.

One other thing... there just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what makes people unhappy (especially the "it's too crowded" variety). For example, I have a city size 12 that is borderline civil disorder every turn. It's in an awesome location with plenty of great workable land surrounding it. Just up the road is a little berg that I haven't even touched yet. Everyone there is happy as a clam. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Out,
Volstag

Sounds like your success rate is at least as good, really - lost two games at each level. :)

It is your more efficient workers causing the problems, I suspect, but indirectly.

I suspect that you now have more, faster growing cities. So you are getting more unhappy people per city, because the number of content citizens per city is fixed (by the difficulty level). So if before you had 2 luxuries, say, you could afford to go to size 5 perhaps (?? someone correct the numbers if they are wrong) and have 2 happy, 1 content, 2 unhappy. Since there are equal happy and unhappy, no civil disorder.

Now you get that city to size 6, get an extra unhappy person, and all hell breaks loose.

The only solution is to either increase entertainment (as you have done), get more luxuries - by trade or discovery, put entertainers in the worst cities, or keep your cities smaller - which you can do by building settlers and workers, and by emphasising the shield rather than food tiles. Although normally more citizens is better, you can always make the 'extras' entertainers and they will be there when you get a new luxury, build a new happiness building, etc.

Hope that helps a bit. Doesn't sound like anything is too wrong anyway.

Originally posted by S1m0ne
I don't seem to notice a significant reduction in corruption when I play a Commercial Civ. Does anyone else agree with this?
The commercial civ increases the optimal number of cities by 25%. On a normal size map, you can have 15 cities instead of 12 with less corruption.

Originally posted by sabo10
I had a great game going on yesterday and then all of a sudden I lose cuz some knot-head was voted in Attorney General or whatever it is.

grrrr
:crazyeye:
Always be sure to build the United Nations wonder. Use the F7 screen to see who's building it, then use your Embassy to Investigate City to be sure you are ahead. You can then attack the city if they are winning the race. If they get a great leader to build it with, too bad. You can also be sure that they are all Gracious towards you - but the way I play, this is very unlikely. Make trades, and honor your treaties.

I play with all victory conditions on - then I need to play a well rounded game to avoid unwanted victories. Others turn off everything they don't like, because that's more fun for them. Customize to make the game what you like best, that's what makes it so fun (I almost ALWAYS play military civs, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom