• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Newbie Questions - Ask here and get Answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me again ;)

If you bombarb a civ's city that has the Art of War on the same land mass, and it says the barracks is destroyed, is it really destroyed?

Is it possible that they built a barracks before the built The Art of War but not sold it off? So they would still pay the upkeep for it and would use it they lost control of TAOW.

Or maybe thats a wee bug?

Edit This is for the question that comes later on the thread, how the hell did I manage that? Precognitive powers presumably.:crazyeye:

Originally posted by Turner_727

I'm kinda curious now what's going on, so if nothing else, at least PM me and let me know, if you don't mind.

Hi,

I downloaded the patch a 2nd time and it went like a dream. Thanks everyone for the advice.

BTW I destroyed the Americans out of pettiness early on in the game to test the "AI will not respawn" feature and it works.:D

I have a quick question though.

Is the patched game more violent? I seem to be at war constantly, as does everyone else.
Or, perhaps this is a consequence of my early aggressiveness?

Originally posted by Alki
Is it possible that they built a barracks before the built The Art of War but not sold it off? So they would still pay the upkeep for it and would use it they lost control of TAOW.

Or maybe thats a wee bug?

If you own a wonder like Sun Tzu's, already existing buildings of that special kind (in this case barracks) won't need any upkeep. For example, you can observe easily an increase of your income when you capture the Pyramids while you had built some granaries on that continent.
I think that the ai rarely gets rid of wonder-obsolete buildings. At least I have captured cities w/ a barracks while the former owner had Sun Tzu's.

@WF: I'm not 100% sure if this message only occurs when they have such a *double* barracks in a bombarded city (the obsolete one gets destroyed then) or if there's some bug around it because a free building can't be destroyed.
The barracks will definitely stay, although that message shows up.

Does the AI get peeved with you for accepting a culture flip? Maybe that's why there is an option to knock them back?

Originally posted by Don Uittone
I'm from Europe so my Civ3 must be Europen version.BUT,there's no UK 1.29 patch! There's only US and Italy,France,Germany...I want english language Europe compatible 1.29 patch.But there isn't one?
There is only one English language version of Civ3, so only one patch - it's the "Civilization III Patch v1.29f (9.9 MB)" patch on this page. It was only when PTW came out that they went to different English language versions for US/Europe.

Originally posted by WildFire
Me again ;)

If you bombarb a civ's city that has the Art of War on the same land mass, and it says the barracks is destroyed, is it really destroyed?

Yes, and no. :)

It means that the AI sometime before completing Sun Tzu had built a barracks in the city. So you destroy the hand-built barracks, but the free barracks provided by Sun Tzu still stands.

Originally posted by Sailorstick
Does the AI get peeved with you for accepting a culture flip? Maybe that's why there is an option to knock them back?

I don't know about the AI, but I certainly do.

No, it cant be destroyed. That would probably be the Barracks that that particular city had before it built Sun Tzu's, if you get what i mean.

It feels good helping someone with 4X the posts than me :)

EDIT: Ok then... ( i didnt realise that had already been answered)

Originally posted by vincenzo
Does a forest need to be within the boundaries of a city to be harvested for shields?
Thanks
Yes, it needs to be within the 21 tile radius of a city. It is ok if the forest is outside cultural boundaries, though (when the city hasn't expanded).

Yes WF, it is destryed.

However, this does not mean what you think. Only the 'surplus' barracks has been destryed, and as a result they can't disband it for the cash. The free barracks are still there and can not be destryed.

Exactly who are you bombarding anyway? ;)

Edit: Damn server "upgrade" :mad: :rolleyes:

A couple of questions for v1.29f.

(1) Can I trade workers? I keep hearing talk of it, how is it done?

(2) On the diplomacy screen, if am playing with 16 civs, only a few of them show up on the page. Is there a way to see the others?

Originally posted by frekk
A couple of questions for v1.29f.

(1) Can I trade workers? I keep hearing talk of it, how is it done?

(2) On the diplomacy screen, if am playing with 16 civs, only a few of them show up on the page. Is there a way to see the others?

(1) Yes, but the workers have to be in the capital. So you'll only rarely see AI workers for sale. Usually it happens when their capital is threathened, either by another civ they are at war with, or barbarians, in which case nearby workers will seek refuge in the capital. If you move your own workers into your capital you'll see them available for sale in the trading screen. Not that selling workers is a good idea, since they only cost 30 gold. But buying them is a great deal, OTOH. :)

2) Yes. SHIFT-Right click on a portrait and you'll get a pop-up to select another civ.

One more stupid question
Play the World Patch French v1.21f (7.51 MB): Mirror 1 Mirror 2 + labels.txt fix.
New patch has been issued (great)
which one should I take mirror 1 or mirror 2
what does it mean ?

Also as I have a french (nobody is perfect) I understand that I will need to install the labels.txt fix
How do I have to process ?

A mirror, in this case, is a download location set up to act the same as - "mirror" - the official download. It should not matter which you use, and you should only need to download from one location.

Sorry, I can't help you with the labels.txt. Perhaps ask also in the technical support forum, in fact it's possible someone may have asked it before. Although with no forum search you may as well just ask the question again.

In the diplomacy screen, there are two tabs - trade and the one that's always on. Click on the trade and check the box on active trades or something.

Sorry haven't looked there for a long while, not sure on the exact buttons and labels.

hbdragon

yes, that shows who is trading, but not what they are trading. You can try and deduce that england is trading spice to france if you check who *should* have it on the map, then see who offers it for trade. If a civ that should not have a luxury has it for trade, they must be getting it from somewhere.

But if two civs both have a surplus, there's no way to work out which is trading to who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom