Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a GL from an elite winning a defensive battle. However, the odds are only half as good as when attacking (1 in 32 instead of 1 in 16, I believe). There's a good thread running around somewhere that has details of promotions and GL chances.

Arathorn

If you dont build the UN and someone else does...

Is it ever possible for you to win a vote that they call?

Melifluous

(Trying to work out how to win a Deity OCC)

And is this a newbie question? Well I have only played one OCC :p

Originally posted by Melifluous
If you dont build the UN and someone else does...

Is it ever possible for you to win a vote that they call?
When the UN is built, there are always two or more candidates. To be a candidate, you have to do one of the following:
  • Build the UN.
  • Own 1/4 of the total land area.
  • Own 1/4 of the total population.
So in a OCC, it's just about impossible to be a diplomatic victory candidate if you aren't the one that builds the UN. However, if you can make everyone else hate the UN builder, then that civ probably won't call for a vote. And sometimes the AI won't call for a vote anyway. Or you could desperately try to capture the UN before a vote is called for, and then call for a vote and see if you win, but that might be kind of hard.

how many posts do you have to make to earn yourself a title

I've installed the latest patch and EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE ...:king:
Question : on choosing earth (huge) ; where do I select size/climate/age ?
BTW , just had a resounding victory on my first regent game ...:D

You can't change the settings for the map, because you wouldn't want to change them (you wouldn't want grassland in the middle of the Sahara desert for example). The map is pre-set for map size. It's a custom map. Selecting climate, age, etc, would generate a whole new map and would look nothing like the world anymore.

If you want to add variety to a world map, you can open up the scenario in the editor and re-distribute natural resources (and/or starting locations, goody huts, etc) so that all the resources won't show up in the same places all the time... (make sure you save it as something else, like 'earth(huge2)', though in case you want to go back to the original).

You don't pick those options because then it would change the map, destrying the whole point of playing on the map.

How much faster are industrious civ workers than regular workers?

Thanks Bamspeedy ; sorry I didn't phrase that very well . Guess that comes with being an English 4th language user . I was referring to v.107 where you selected the age/temp/% . When you chose Earth (huge) the next screen gave the various options . Anyways got it sorted . Some really nice improvements with the patch .

I know that there's an optimal number of cities for certain types of maps.
What if I would exceed that number? Is corruption going to a problem for these extra cities or for the entire empire?

In several games you are 'forced' to take action and conquer an enemy with the nice side effect that you gain access to luxuries and recourses. An other advantage is that you gain power and points if you gain more land. But if corruption would cripple my entire empire, I would think twice...

It will affect your main cities by making the additional cities so sorrupt that they can't ever pay the upkeep for their buildings so your other cities have to provide the income..... Essentially: it can slow your research! (if understand all this correctly).

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
It will affect your main cities by making the additional cities so sorrupt that they can't ever pay the upkeep for their buildings so your other cities have to provide the income..... Essentially: it can slow your research! (if understand all this correctly).

That explains a lot!!! I was already wondering why research was this slow in my last game. Now I know it's a combination of the huge amount of (corrupt) cities and the large military...

Normally I'm really peaceful and build only the optimal amount of cities, but this time I was placed in the middle of a large continent and my opponents constantly declared war attacking from all sides. As a result my empire grew and grew (didn't want the AI to be able to build new cities on the open terrain).

Thanks

Is pollution also calculated on land area under your control in addition to city pop/ factory ect ? I recently went on a raze and resettle spree and was pleasantly surprised to notice that the yellow sun that had reared it's ugly head a couple of turns previously disappeared again ; for a while .

We have already established that you do not pay maintenance on barracks and granaries provided for by Sun Tzu's and Pyramids.

Last night as I was pounding the hell out of my enemy cities with artillery, I got wondering: I know I can destroy their barracks, but I wonder if I can do that if they have one of the above wonders? I assume that with non-specific artillery, it would never happen.

I don't have radar artillery (yet), so I don't know what happens if you try to specifically target granaries in a Civ with Pyramids. Is it simply not an option? Do you get a message saying that you can't do that?:confused:

you cannot attack a specifc target :(

and you cannot destroy barack/granaries/hydro plants that stem from wonders.

Why doesn't my money ever go up? I have marketplaces and banks in every city. It's 1900 AD and I've played through almost the entire game with no gold. There was a point when the gold level rose to 400, then it swiftly went down again.

I also have a lot of resources and luxuries. Is there any way to gain profit from this by selling them to other civs? How? I've connected my roads to other civs' cities. I have harbor cities as well, but I can't seem to find the option that allows me to trade with other nations and gain income from it.

Thanks!

:love:

Originally posted by lucy liu
Why doesn't my money ever go up? I have marketplaces and banks in every city. It's 1900 AD and I've played through almost the entire game with no gold. There was a point when the gold level rose to 400, then it swiftly went down again.

Trading with other civs helps a lot. You also may have too many cities (that is something that I have just learned;) ). There's an algorithm in the FAQ section that can help you determine the optimal number of cities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom