1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie to Civ 3. Numerous Questions for perfecting early game play

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by ArenE, Jul 4, 2020.

1. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

On reading some of the previous post it appeared that occasionally it is better to settle on coast due to colossus. But for this case I was not sure. I am glad you agree with my assessment. Did not think to move NW (just did not even consider it) but what you said makes a lot of sense as well. Yeah I was unimpressed with the start and not having any grassland. To me it does not look like I'll find grassland in 1 or 2T but you are right I should have at least considered it. Thank you

2. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

I think, given that start, I'd move NE onto the Hills, rather than NW; that frees up an additional food (after irrigation) from the NW Plains-tile, and also gains the terrain-defense bonus (not that you should be planning on your capital getting attacked, but still...). You still have freshwater (=no Duct needed for Pop7), and immediate access to the Sugar-Plains, and you'll still get the Deer after 10T. It also leaves you the option of Settling along the coast later (e.g 2SW of the Worker's position in your screenshot, which also appears to be on a river), without crowding your capital too much.

Low food? Well, yes, initially, but the river will let you irrigate (+ road) all those adjacent Plains for 2f+1s per tile (in fewer Worker-turns than it would take to mine non-bonus Grassland, for the same harvest). You'd need to move the Worker back to the Sugar and improve that first, though (mine it under Despotism for 2f+2s; later on, you can convert that mine to irrigation, for 3f+1s).

ArenE likes this.
  3. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

I will do that. Thank you

4. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Atomic Theory is way expensive, but is still cheaper than any modern techs. I like to tech the top branch and by the time I get to AT, my economy is the best it will be in the industrial, then just time the prebuild to coincide with reaching modern times. I don't really experience a threatening wonder cascade, but it helps if the AI are already building the available wonders so Hoover's won't be available to swap to once ToE gets built. Also, I will generally have factories up before Hoover's instead of potentially building Hoover's before industrialization is researched.

5. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Is there any harm in this? Unless I lack a river, I have always gone for Hoover's as soon as I can after ToE, since Industrialization will only take about 4 turns anyway (though factories normally take quite a while themselves).

6. justanick

justanick Emperor

For Hoover to be useful you need factories. Powerplants "increase" the effect of factories, they have no use by themselves.

Waiting for ToE till the modern age however will not work in games that you donnot already complete dominate. The standard proceduure is to use ToE to get the tech for Hoover and hence get Hoovers as early as reasonably achieveable.

Given the value that railroads, hospitals and factoris have, getting steam power, replaceable parts and sanitation before can make sense. The value of sanition can easily be underestimated.

7. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Probably not. Like Justanick says, you need a factory for Hoover's to be useful; but, you need to be able to build it first (which takes practice to time your prebuilds well), and your way you are only paying maintenance on boosted factories (increase your average shield:debt radio if anyone cares about that metric).
    I wouldn't research sanitation for myself in a space race game. That's 4 turns you won't get back. I'd rather amass tanks and arty between MoTrans and the beginning of the modern era then grab land to increase research. On larger maps, especially those with lots of coastline, hospitals would be more effective for my playstyle.

8. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I'm still working on my ability to use prebuilds. I need to build plans into my spreadsheets for that. Up to Regent, it mostly didn't matter, but at Monarch the AI's ability to beat me by only a couple turns on stuff is really annoying.
    I've stopped researching Sanitation, along with most optional techs (I'll research one if I have to). Especially if my towns are packed tightly enough to get the most number of Libraries & Universities early on.
    I think I may have to stop playing Tiny maps at Monarch ... not enough resources to go around, was on a whole continent with virtually no resources and only a couple luxuries (gave up on that one). Instead of playing on Tiny, Small & Standard, I may have to drop tiny & move up to Large.

9. justanick

justanick Emperor

The trick here is to not be annoyed. ;)

Accept that AI does have a few advantages to mitigates its lack of intelligence. Adapt to those facts and you may become able to win on Deity without spreadsheets. Details optimization is one thing and i can hardly credible argue against it. But please try to learn to concentrate on what matters.

jarred! and WeirdoJoker like this.
  10. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Well, I'm a ways away from Deity ... still trying to master Monarch.

11. justanick

justanick Emperor

Does "master" mean winning in 50% of cases or 95+% of cases? The step from Monarch to Emperor is not nearly as steep as from Emperor to Demigod. So at least moving on to Emperor seems a better approach than to "master" Monarch.

12. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Hard to say ... more about my comfort level than straight numbers (though I do keep track of that). Very subjective, really. The higher I go, the tighter my skills need to be to pull off a win, and I'm not quite there yet.

13. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

I am currently playing standard continent 70% water on Monarch. Is it unusual to have only 1 coal on the entire map? My continent had only 1 iron (Japanese controlled) and 3 luxes. The other continent has 2 luxes and also happens to have coal on the entire map (I think). I traded maps and that is what I see. Is that normal, just wondering. Guess I will have to beeline for coal next.

14. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

On a standard-sized map? Yes, that is unusual — if you have the full 7 opponents.

So how many opponents did you choose at game start?

Aabraxan likes this.
  15. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

Random 7.

16. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Have you checked out the "clean" map via toggling Ctrl+Shift+M? There might be some an AI city is sitting on.

17. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

Also: I had conquered pi-ramses Egyptian city, build temple in 2 turn, built forbidden palace in 1 turn and controlled for 5 turns. Population was reduced to 5 and forgot to reduce population further. When I moved by horseman out, they revolted and became Egyptian again. Even though I had read the article that there was 1 instance of FB palace and revolt, I forgot and it happened to me as well.:cry:

18. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

Yes. That is exactly how I know that there is only 1 coal on the entire map. Although there is few dark areas on the continent with coal (not my continent) that is what I am convinced of currently. I had rushed to steam power without benefits. lol.

19. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

Oh and this happened in the middle of my golden age after I had reduced Egyptian population from 10 --> 5.

20. ArenE

ArenE Chieftain

I must say that map had a great start, I moved my settler 1W(I believe) and had access to 3 cows in BFC. Other problems not withstanding.