[NEWCIV] - Ydil (a hive mind civ)

I've uploaded version 0.3. It will break saves.

All the text is in, so there should be enough in game info to allow you to understand how the module works. If you see any module related TXT_ references, let me know.
The few other changes are listed in the first post.

Next version will probably be version 1.0. All the functionality and explanations are in now. I may need to recost some of the promotion wonders but thats really dependent on whether people try it and think they are too cheap/expensive. I'm not too pushed about creating Ydil specific events but may look into it.

I installed the JotnarL and Ydil Modules for Ashes of Erebus, and when I ran the RifE Launcher (it's in the Ashes of Erebus folder, but the name hasn't been changed), it says that the Ydil Module conflicts with others. I've attached a screenshot.

Any modules which use python other than events and spells have a good chance of being incompatible.

I just popped on to see what was going on with Rise from Erebus - it it became unstable a few years back and it seemed more or less dead - and Civ 5 had just come out. Coming back on is a nice surprise - I was doing my own hive mind mod back then and with a lot of the same mechanics as yours, so I'm excited to play this

Something I remember working nicely was that promotions could change depending on proximity to the capital or leader unit - stronger close by, and weakening by distance. Moving the leader unit in to attack at one side of your civ meant weakening your units on the other side

Version 0.4 issued (will break saves). I haven't quite finished balancing the wonder buildings. If I increase the cost of the wonders, the AI does not build them. If I leave them as is, the AI does a reasonable job playing the Ydil but a human player can steam roll too much.

It looks like Jackelgull and Viatos' fears haven't manifested. The Ydil, if anything, are overpowered at the moment, even with the -50 percent to GP and GC. They do get wiped out early in some of my simulations but generally the AI has done well with them.

@Strangitude, can you let me know how those proximity varying promotions were set up? I could do something in python to do this but want to use xml in preference to python where possible. That said, I'm quite happy with the current set up using the Ydil cultural territory Connected promo and Links' minion promotion. An immobile commander like a Locus with a command range could give a promo boost to units close to the capital or any other cities. At the moment, I think that the Ydil are strong enough, so I won't be pursuing that approach. I've also abandoned my "Hall of Mirrors" equivalent building to dominate enemies as there'll be enough Mind 3 users floating around.

It was done in python, I don't think it would have been possible with xml. I don't remember the code, but the distance was the root of (Leader's X coord - Unit's X coord)² + (Leader's Y coord - Unit's Y coord)². I couldn't get the square root of those numbers with python, so I had to set up an exponential scale to set promotions - if value is between 1 and 10 set max, if between 10 and 50 set second highest etc

Version 0.5 issued.

how would we go about getting ydil to work with AoE then? it is supposed to be compatible I thought?

Ydil should work with AoE. AoE is a replacement for RifE, ironing out some of the bugs in the RifE mod.

Where compatability issues may arise is with modules that are used within these mods (RifE or AoE) in the Active Modules folder.
Modules which only use xml, i.e. modules which do not have a python folder should be universally compatible.
If the only files in a module's python folder are spell and event python, then these should be universally compatible also.
Where compatability issues seem to arise is where modules use other python files linked to CvEventManager, such as onBuildingBuilt. That's why modules like my Panivo and Ydil can not be played together (at the moment).

At some stage, I may take a look at editing the code so several CvEventManager python modules can be used together, as it was the python modularity that originally attracted me to RifE.

Job done. Version 1.0 has been issued. AI seems to perform fine (can do well/can do badly).

Top Bottom