Welcome to Rhye's and Fall: Greek World (Revived)

I have a few ideas for UHVs but am open to suggestions. First though I have to make the UHVs functional in the game. Making them functional should hopefully be a quick fix. However I have been putting it off, in case it turns out to be something much more complex to resolve.

It’s great to see this is being worked on and updated! I look forward to seeing how it continues to develop.

I was highly entertained when I booted up my first game as the Huns (so I could watch a replay of how the AI’s fought History out), and I spawned 3 tiles away from a massive army of Athenian spears and elephants. I marched my army toward them and the Athenians attacked me over a river and up a hill, but still entirely decimated my Hun starting stack. I sincerely thought it was a hilarious “What are the odds?” quick end to the mighty Huns.

Civ4ScreenShot1249.JPG
Also, for consistency's sake, I think the displayed faction names should be all in the same format.
e.g. all '~ians' or all '~ian Empire'

It’s great to see this is being worked on and updated! I look forward to seeing how it continues to develop.

I was highly entertained when I booted up my first game as the Huns (so I could watch a replay of how the AI’s fought History out), and I spawned 3 tiles away from a massive army of Athenian spears and elephants. I marched my army toward them and the Athenians attacked me over a river and up a hill, but still entirely decimated my Hun starting stack. I sincerely thought it was a hilarious “What are the odds?” quick end to the mighty Huns.

Yeah getting the end game balanced has been challenging. I will be adding more techs and slowing the tech rate down again in the next release. Also will have to look at Athens specifically as they always seem to become way too powerful.

er, shouldn't play now! and custom games be disabled?
and also other scenarios in the 'Play Scenario' option.

True, but I am unsure how to do that.

Also, for consistency's sake, I think the displayed faction names should be all in the same format.
e.g. all '~ians' or all '~ian Empire'

I agree, I will fix that soon, hopefully before the next release.

Unique Historical Victories are now functional! :thumbsup:
I've got some goals written for Egypt, once I've checked they are balanced I will release version 1.4. :egypt:

RFC GW 1.4 Released!

My biggest release yet!

It now has its own soundtrack
A new civilization has been added (I just love to include a new civ in every release)
But the big one is now for the first time in this mods history you now complete unique historical victories*
There is much more (see change log on the opening page for full details)

You can download it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rfc-greek-world-revived/files/RFC Greek World 1.4.7z/download

*As long as you select Egypt, but there will be many more in the next release

Here's my Egyptian empire on monarch difficulty, apparently I'm missing something for the 3rd UHV but I can't figure out what. Do I have to conquer Kition as well?
Spoiler :

Thanks for trying it out. The reason you didn't get the UHV is because Zawty is 1 tile too far north. However upon reflection it probably makes more sense to have that area included in Nubia. I will change the UHV to include that area in the next release.

Okay, this time I did it on Emperor (with the right city placement in Nubia) and even though all victory conditions are checked the game doesn't seem to recognize that I won. I've attached the save, just hit next turn.
Barbs and the AI are ridiculous on this difficulty, I could only do this by getting city raider 3 from the Jericho town defenders and then capturing the Sumerian capital. This required a significant amount of luck (and S/L). Maintenance costs are also way too high, I was completely broke after taking the 2 cities in the Levant + Ur so I kept wasting my hammers on building and disbanding units. My strategy also involved abusing the Stonehenge for the first UHV and the fact that for some reason Egypt skips anarchy, which I assume is a bug.
So Emperor is too hard, Monarch is too easy and I don't even want to try Demigod - I'm assuming the first stack of barbarian city defenders would destroy me :p
This doesn't apply to all civs though. I was able to capture the Levant and Lower Egypt with the Hittites on Emperor, and could've gone further if I hadn't collapsed. AI tech speed was still terrifying, apparently Egypt survived the barbs by building Hadrian's Wall and they had more than 1200 score before they finally collapsed. As a comparison, I was second in score with ~350 points.
Maybe unit costs could be increased, in my Hittite game Hattusa was producing one 10 xp huluganni per turn at the time of the Egyptian Empire, later 15 xp horse archers. And although it's not a big issue on Monarch (well except when playing as the Huns), AI unit spam on Emperor is a bit problematic.
Also, I'll admit that I haven't tried most of the civs on this version yet, I'll try to give more feedback when I do.
PS: thanks for the great mod, I've had a lot of fun playing.

Attachments

• Ramesses II BC-1068.CivBeyondSwordSave
    172.8 KB · Views: 200
Thanks for the feedback.
If all 3 UHVS are marked as completed, then that is correct. As things stand there is no victory text or anything else upon completion. But in life do you need anything more then check marks and moral satisfaction of a job well done!
Yeah I am not surprised that the barbarians are pretty bad at the highest settings.
I too noticed the lack of anarchy when changing civics as Egypt. Will need to check if this affects just them, or all civs in the game.
I will look into upping unit build costs and reducing maintenance costs. I also nearly went bankrupt as Egypt when I built up my army for the conquest of Levant.
I'm wondering if I need to remove Hadrian's wall. I notice whichever Civ builds it (most often Indus Valley or Egypt) has a huge advantage as Barbarians are such a big part of the game. :hmm:

Thanks for making this, RFC really needed an ancient world mod and this delivered. I played as Minoa, captured northern Egypt, and coasted off of its amazing resources for a few millennia until felled by a crash to desktop. A couple issues/suggestions:

- Mycenae and Minoa both become "Republic of Crete" at some point
- Egypt changed its name to "Alexandria" sometime in the 2nd millennium BC, seems like either a bug or a weird choice
- Sea Peoples were pretty annoying, just a constant smoldering barbarian presence that prevented me from doing anything for several centuries. Maybe that's historically correct, but I would have preferred one or two big exciting invasions to what I got.
- Railroads become available very early, maybe you meant to rename these?
- Crash to desktop just after 368 BC. It was right after the first episode of plague, which went a little strangely - plagued cities didn't show the green miasma graphic and (in WorldBuilder) didn't have the Plague building, but units died anyway. Around the end of the plague the game crashed. Reloaded it and it crashed again at the same point, can't figure out why except maybe something related to the plague.

I tried to play another game as the Celts, but in 810 BC or so the game unexpectedly told me I had been defeated. I didn't see anyone take my city, and I tried reloading, turning on WorldBuilder, and filling the city with powerful defenders, but it didn't help. I'm not sure what happened.

Last edited:
Thanks for trying it out. The reason you didn't get the UHV is because Zawty is 1 tile too far north. However upon reflection it probably makes more sense to have that area included in Nubia. I will change the UHV to include that area in the next release.

Shouldn't Nubia start at the 1st cataract, ~1N of where Thebes is in the screenshot?

Mycenae and Minoa both become "Republic of Crete" at some point
- Egypt changed its name to "Alexandria" sometime in the 2nd millennium BC, seems like either a bug or a weird choice
Yeah I need to sort out the dynamic names. I haven't done it yet as I want to change how they work so they respond more to time period and empire size, and less to religion or government civic. This will however mean working in C++ which is something I find much harder than python or XML so we shall see.

- Railroads become available very early, maybe you meant to rename these?
Did you notice which tech activates them? Maybe rename them paved roads.

Crash to desktop just after 368 BC. It was right after the first episode of plague, which went a little strangely - plagued cities didn't show the green miasma graphic and (in WorldBuilder) didn't have the Plague building, but units died anyway. Around the end of the plague the game crashed. Reloaded it and it crashed again at the same point, can't figure out why except maybe something related to the plague.
Hmmm, thats interesting. The plague function has been problematic ever since I started, but haven't had a chance to really look into it. If there is a graphical error related to them, then that would cause a crash to desktop. Will have to see if me or anyone else has a CTD while a plague is going on.

I tried to play another game as the Celts, but in 810 BC or so the game unexpectedly told me I had been defeated. I didn't see anyone take my city, and I tried reloading, turning on WorldBuilder, and filling the city with powerful defenders, but it didn't help. I'm not sure what happened.
It might be related to this?
The 900 BC scenario features a bug which creates a settler and spearman erroneously. If you select from the main menu a civilization which spawns after 900 BC (such as the Celts) then you will have to press escape and then delete the units, then your civ will spawn as normal at the correct date. If you don't delete the settler and spearman at the start, then the computer deletes all your units at the date the Civ was meant to spawn at.

Shouldn't Nubia start at the 1st cataract, ~1N of where Thebes is in the screenshot?
Possibly. I have always found it hard working out how the map of Egypt and Nubia in the game (which is a Rhye's creation) corresponds to the real versions. The flow of the nile on the map does not seem to correspond to how it flows in real life.

I had a fairly major setback when trying to add Armenia to the mod. I was getting a tuple index out of range error message emanating from the Rise & Fall py, which I could not find the cause of. I therefore had to abandon the effort and revert back to an earlier version of the mod I had. Because I have hit the 27 civilization limit of the original Rhys & Fall mod, I think adding new civs will be a bit more complicated.
I however will be releasing a new version (and probably the final one from me) sometime in early January.

Last edited:
RFC GW 1.5 Released!
Features include:

Added UHVs for Sumeria, Indus Valley, Minoa, and Phoenicia.
Changed in the dll how dynamic Civ names work so that they change as empires expand
Edited City names to be more consistent as appropriate
Added more city names for Celts and Bactria
Modified Egypt UHVs to be slightly harder
Made civs names consistent in scenario screen
Added more marshes to the game, and improved marsh graphics
Added more conditional barbarian spawns
Increased strength of Byzantines and Sassanids

Fixes include:
Fixed Egypts Nubia UHV
Fixed the dynamic civ names for all Civilizations
Fixed Caanite religion video
Fixed Metal Casting so it is listed in the correct era.

You can download it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rfc-greek-world-revived/files/RFC Greek World 1.5.7z/download

I'm taking an indefinite break from modding RFC GW. If anyone fancies working on the mod they have my blessing.
I am going to stay active on CFC, so if anyone has any questions related to the mod I will be able to 'try' to answer them.

I decided that I will continue the work on the mod, then.
Spoiler My current progress :
For now I've removed the tech and building constants in the Consts.py file and replaced them with a function; I plan to do this for all constants eventually. This simplifies a lot of things IMO (having to change hundreds of constants everytime I remove/add something in the XML is annoying), even if it means that the game may run a bit slower (but I don't think that'll make a noticable difference anyways). I could store previously retrieved constants as well, if speed it turns out to be a huge issue.
I've also fixed the no Egyptian anarchy bug and some other weird things caused by other redundant code which I removed.

I will probably start a new thread once I have something worth releasing and a better internet connection.

Sounds great, can't wait to see what you do with the mod. After a year and a half of working on it I felt I was reaching the end of what I could do, and that it needed a fresh set of eyes to move it forward again. Once you have a released version, I can message the admin to unsticky my thread, and to sticky your thread instead.
I wish you happy modding! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom