News: 6otM 19 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 19

Welcome to the 19th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ VI - 6otM 19 Details:
Player (You): - Pedro II - Brazil
Victory Condition
: Culture but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Immortal
Civs/City-States
(including player): 8/12
Map Type/Size: Pangaea/Standard Size
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Goody Huts, Barbarians

Game Version:
This game was created in Civ6 vanilla version 1.0.0.129.
Game Requirements: vanilla version of Civilization VI.

Here is where you will start:
6otM_19_start.jpg

Brazil's Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
Pedro II's Special Ability: Magnanimous - After recruiting or patronizing a Great Person, 20% of its Great Person points cost is refunded.

Unique Ability
: Amazon: Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site and Theater Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighborhoods built adjacent to them.

Unique Unit: Minas Geraes: Brazilian unique Modern era unit that replaces the Battleship. Stronger than the Battleship, Unlocked by Nationalism.

Unique Infrastructure: Street Carnival: A District unique to Brazil. Replaces the Entertainment Complex district and provides +2 amenities. Also unlocks the Carnival project which grants an additional +1 amenity when underway and a variety of Great People points once completed.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends August 15th, 2017.

The save is attached below .

Attachments

• 6otM19_Culture_PEDRO II_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    352 KB · Views: 724
It is very likely that a patch will be released during the time this game is active. If you play it early, then you may be able to play it again under the new patch rules and compare the differences.

If the patch occurs and you are in the middle of the game, please continue playing as there isn't much choice.

Best of luck.

Hmm, I think I'd settle on the grassland to the northeast to get the gems and bananas in my starting six. It means giving up the furs temporarily, but the forest tile the settler starts on could be cleared and used to exploit Brazil's jungle adjacency bonus for a good first campus or commercial district.

I also think the warrior should go southeast first to see what's on the other side of the jungle, it looks like its an open tile, so that could be another potential jungle-boosted district site later on, perhaps the first theatre square could go there...

I only play deity but this is a CV game and I like the map.... Will give this a try... Probably will not worry too much about early rushes from AI on immortal.

Last patch broke warmonger penalties in saves, didn't it?

Anyways, I basically 100% agree with Katakanja about the settling spot. You give up the foxes at first but get another 3 food tile in return, and there's at least 4 tiles in the second ring that grant 2 production, with some hills among them.

Pedro II's Special Ability: Magnanimous - After recruiting or patronizing a Great Person, 20% of its Great Person points cost is refunded.

Unique Ability
: Amazon: Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site and Theater Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighborhoods built adjacent to them.

Unique Unit: Minas Geraes: Brazilian unique Modern era unit that replaces the Battleship. Stronger than the Battleship, Unlocked by Nationalism.

Unique Infrastructure: Street Carnival: A District unique to Brazil. Replaces the Entertainment Complex district and provides +2 amenities. Also unlocks the Carnival project which grants an additional +1 amenity when underway and a variety of Great People points once completed.

Also, I'd like to point out
1: You forgot a part of Brazilian UA that rainforests add +1 to adjacent appeal instead of normal civ's -1.
2: The UU is actually an Industrial-era one, although it replaces a Modern Unit.

Settling in Place vs. 1NE. By my calculations:

In Place by Turn 10:
+15 hammers // Equal Food surplus

In Place by Turn 25:
+33 hammers // Equal Food surplus

I do, however, like the notion of moving to clear the forest and allow for excellent Campus. So the question is, are 33 early hammers critical or a better campus. For me, I will likely hope that warrior finds another good spot for campus, and settle in place for extra hammers.

Although TBH I am missing action, so will likely play a random domination game first and hope I get back to this 6otM in time. Anyone else get bored with peace victories in late game? I am having a hard time finishing....

Settling in Place vs. 1NE. By my calculations:

In Place by Turn 10:
+15 hammers // Equal Food surplus

In Place by Turn 25:
+33 hammers // Equal Food surplus

I do, however, like the notion of moving to clear the forest and allow for excellent Campus. So the question is, are 33 early hammers critical or a better campus. For me, I will likely hope that warrior finds another good spot for campus, and settle in place for extra hammers.

Although TBH I am missing action, so will likely play a random domination game first and hope I get back to this 6otM in time. Anyone else get bored with peace victories in late game? I am having a hard time finishing....

Absolutely 33 early hammers is worthwhile.
But there's a problem that you lose a forest, which may worth more than 33?

Absolutely 33 early hammers is worthwhile.
But there's a problem that you lose a forest, which may worth more than 33?
Yeah shopping of forest is worth I think 39 hammers in the ancient era. However that takes one third of your Builders charges so you have to subtract one third of the Hammers that takes to build the Builder.

Yeah shopping of forest is worth I think 39 hammers in the ancient era. However that takes one third of your Builders charges so you have to subtract one third of the Hammers that takes to build the Builder.

Please calculate more precisely, since we may be dealing with Warrior or Archer +50% policy overflows.

I guess what I mean is, a builder takes 50 hammers to produce. It comes with three charges, which equates to roughly 17 hammers per charge. If you use one charge to chop a forest you are effectively sacrificing 17 hammers for the output created by chopping the forest, which I believe is 39. This produces a net of 22 hammers.

I guess what I mean is, a builder takes 50 hammers to produce. It comes with three charges, which equates to roughly 17 hammers per charge. If you use one charge to chop a forest you are effectively sacrificing 17 hammers for the output created by chopping the forest, which I believe is 39. This produces a net of 22 hammers.

In early game the situation is a little bit different. You have to calculate more exactly, that is to say, we only build integer number of workers. If we want to use 4 charges instead of 3, we need 50+ more hammers, but if that charge is added from 5 to 6, we don't have to pay anything more.

In early game the situation is a little bit different. You have to calculate more exactly, that is to say, we only build integer number of workers. If we want to use 4 charges instead of 3, we need 50+ more hammers, but if that charge is added from 5 to 6, we don't have to pay anything more.

You can choose to calculate it that way. I will choose to think of it as hammers per charge, especially early on because we will most certainly use 4,5, and 6 charges. If i choose to chop on my fourth charge or my sixth charge is irrelevant with regards to total net hammers. Moreover, another detriment of an early use of a charge for chopping (I was comparing first 25 turns), is that we will likely miss the inspiration for craftsmanship (unless we build or buy a second builder early). Typically I use my first builder to improve and second if I am planning a Chop.
Thirdly, another reason not to chop (settling in place), is the missing improvement. If we move NE and use a charge to chop we miss a charge to improve a tile (whether it be extra food, production, or resources). Those early charges are precious.

Last edited:
I will move the warrior on the SE hill, if the hidden area is not complete garbage, one of the djugle hills should be the best spot for a good early game.

Thanks for the update leif! Anyone thinking about going for any victory other than culture? Looking back at the 6otM we have not had many domination victory conditions.

Top Bottom