News: 6otM04 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 4

Welcome to the 4th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ VI - 6otM 4 Details:
Player (You): - Teddy Roosevelt - America
Victory Condition
: Domination but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Deity
Civs/City-States
(including player): 9/?
Map Type/Size: Continents/Standard Size
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Goody Huts, Barbarians

Game Version:
This game was created in Civ6 vanilla version 1.0.0.38 (235603).
Game Requirements: vanilla version of Civilization VI.

Here is where you will start:
6otM_04_Start.jpg

America Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
Teddy Roosevelt's Special Ability: Roosevelt's Corollary - Units receive a +5 Combat Strength on their home continent. +1 Appeal to all tiles in a city with National Park.

Unique Ability
: Founding Fathers: Earn all government legacy bonuses in half the time.

Unique Unit: P-51 Mustang: America's unique Modern Era air unit the replaces the Fighter. Gains +5 attack against fighter aircraft, has +2 flight range and gains+50% experience. Requires an Aerodrome District and the technology of Advanced Flight.

Unique Unit (Roosevelt): Rough Rider: American unique Modern Era unit when Teddy Roosevelt is their leader. Culture is earned for kills on their Capital's continent. +10 Combat Strength when fighting on hills. Lower maintenance cost. Requires the technology of Rifling to build.

Unique Building: Film Studio: +100% tourism pressure from this city towards other Civilizations in the Modern Era. Replaces Broadcast Center and requires the Theater District and the discovery of Radio technology to build them.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends January 15th, 2017.

The save is attached below .

Attachments

• 6otM04_Domination_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    362 KB · Views: 645
Hi Leif, this game won't play if you don't have Aztec.
Can you please remove Aztec civilization and re-upload the file, as the DLC isn't available yet for everyone.
Thanks!

Not sure I know how to do that?

This was not a problem with the previous games of the month?
Did the recent patch break the system where the software automatically adjusted to having the dlc or not? Oh my!

edit - are others having this issue as well?
Just checked and do not see how to remove dlc without redoing the save from scratch... :cry:

Perhaps since the previous games didn't have Aztecs, or the recent patch has made additional restrictions?
Yes, you will need to reload the file, but hardly anyone has downloaded it yet. It would be great so we all get to play. =)

Confirmed. I cannot load it either - the load button is grayed out and it says Aztec DLC required.

no load here also... oh well, I ll wait until 21th January to get Aztec DLC to play this one...

If i have the Aztec DLC can i start playing this or are you going to post a different save file?

(Will wait to play for news on the save.)

This will be my first attempt at deity. I expect I'll be grateful for Roosevelt's home continent bonus. At least until I try to venture off the home continent.

I suspect ocean travel will be needed to reach everyone, but I'm sure the strongest players won't get close to the unique units. I think my goal will be to finish off with rough riders. But who knows....

There is no way that I know of to simply remove the dlc. This game will stand as is and there will not be a replacement save for this game.

I will produce another save, call it 6otM04.5, with the same settings. That will require setup and testing. Please do not expect that save file before next week, especially with all the Christmas stuff going on around here.

Apologies for not removing the dlc.

So, I'm playing this one then. First time playing on Deity. And believe it or not I have not won a Domination Victory on this game yet. I'll start tonight :)

Conquering the home continent should be easy for Teddy, with his +5 strength for all military units on the home continent. That more than makes up for the +4 strength every AI unit gets for Deity level.

Basic Strategy:

Find Militaristic and Scientific City States and gain at least 1 Envoy for the Captial bonus. Get 2 or 5 more envoys, if one has a few Encampments or Campuses respectively.

For the Theocracy timing attack, find Religious and Cultural City States and gain at least 1 Envoy for the Captial bonus. Get 2 or 5 more envoys, if one has a few Holy Sites or Theatre Districts respectively. One needs higher culture rates to reach the Reformed Church civic early, where the Theocracy government is unlocked.

Build 3+ Slingers, beeline Archery, upgrade to Archers, move initial Warrior and Archers to nearest AI and capture all their cities.

Capture at least the Capital of the remaining Civs on the home continent.

Beeline Cartography to access the other continent via embarking one's Carpet of Doom or Settlers when using the Theocracy timing attack (see below for details).

Optionally, build 2 Horse pastures. Beeline Horseback Riding to build Horsemen.

Optionally research Bronze Working to locate Iron. Build 1-2 Iron mines. Research Iron Working to upgrade Warriors to Swordsmen. Optionally build Swordsmen with 2 Iron mines.

Beeline the Macinery technology that unlocks Crossbowmen and upgrade Archers to Crossbowmen.

Utilize more advanced timing attacks or upgrade timing attacks as needed. This may include building Chariots and upgrading to Knights via Stirrups technology. It could also be a Horsemen to Cavalry upgrade timing attack, but this will require significantly more research and delays the win date.

The fundamental idea of a timing attack is to research a military technology at least one Era ahead of the AIs that unlocks a good melee or ranged land unit that can (help) capture cities. Note that at least one melee unit is needed for making the final attack on a city which captures it; all previous attacks are ideally made by ranged units, so there is no damage to one's units when they attack.

Optionally, focus on Faith generation (build Holy Sites and religious buildings) and beeline the Reformed Church civic and switch to the Theocracy government, which allows building land units via Faith. Send at least one Settler to the other continent ASAP that can build a city/cities where the most advanced military land units can be built via Faith in successive turns. Limits the chance that military units become obsolete while sailing to the new world.

Beeline Construction to build one or more Seige Towers. This is the optimal support unit that makes all the other support units superfluous. With one of these next to a target city, all attacking units ignore walls and do full damage to the city. The Seige Tower never becomes obsolete.

Last edited:
Did you already try uploading a save without Aztec as one of the civs.
Since the previous GoTM all worked fine it could just be because Aztec are in the mix.
Could be worth posting the map and game seed in future as well.
Cheers.

Conquering the home continent should be easy for Teddy, with his +5 strength for all military units on the home continent. That more than makes up for the +4 strength every AI unit gets for Deity level.

Basic Strategy:

A useful post to someone like me with very little experience with this VC.

------------------------

Looks like an interesting 6OTM. Probably won't get to it for a week or so. I just started trying to win a science deity game while limiting myself to 3 cities. did a run through as Germany last night, production values were unsurprisingly good, but was getting ran around in circles in the science and civics departments. Maybe Japan (adjacency bonuses), Kongo (population bonuses) or France (wonder+spy bonuses) are better options. Trying to play peacefully, but pillage wars seem like they'd be extremely useful.

This is my first Diety game in Civ6, but from what I can tell the AI isn't all that good, they just get major production bonuses.

I see two ways to play this start:

Builder/chop/builder and make use of the Sheep, the de-forested mine and the stone. That gets a quite powerful city up within 14-15 turns. I don't see any horses at the start though, and that's a problem. No real need for all that early production if I'm just going to be building archers and warriors.

Unless we run into some early horses, I think the play is early aggression with slingers.

Yes, the major issue will be barbarians, especially if there is plenty of uncovered land around. I tried AW deity and ran into issues with barbs and AI every single time. Once the AI has walls, it gets just a lot tougher.

I'd really recommend to build 3 slingers to upgrade to archers. That combo will then net you your first AI.

Top Bottom