1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 11 Pregame Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Warrior NW scouting the coast line.
    Settler probably 2N. I'd rather have food early on and then move the capital. I like 2N better than N NE because there's less coast tiles.

2. dalamb

dalamb Deity

That's what I wondered about. The coastal tiles may not matter much in the early game, but I wasn't sure if they'd be a detriment in the long term. I may stick with N-NE anyway and we can see which turns out best!

3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Think positive... ;)

4. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

If you want to settle at NE-N, you might try NE-NE to the hill, then settle next turn. More defogging and you can still change your mind and settle on the plains hill if it happens to be better.

5. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Deity

That is right fine idea if you are not going to settle on the first turn. :agree:

6. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Right - NE NE is superior because you have to settle on turn 2 anyway with NE-N.

7. JungleIII

JungleIII Master

Looks like a fun game! I'm sure you will get lots of interest. :goodjob:

Here is a test game to try out Warlords level and to familiarize with this UU and traits. I was looking for a game to play anyway, so I might as well practice and see what develops that might be useful in a few days when the real game comes out! ;)

Attached Files:

8. Levgre

Levgre King

I don't know if there would be much advantage to a cottage Bureaucracy capital. If pyramids are built for representation, all techs will be got in ample time. +6 scientists beat even bureaucracy village (6 science versus 4.5 commerce), and tie towns (6 versus 6).

Cataphracts are strong enough for any overseas invasion.

So only techs needed really are guilds and astronomy. Could end up running quite low science at times, for upgrades, and because running culture instead of science gives any needed happiness for more scientists.

Assuming there is fresh water and food sources available, what could be done is maximize food almost everywhere, run caste-system at least by mid-game, so the only limit would be food, since we'd have unlimited scientists and unlimited happiness(with a free slider, and the theater UB.) Civil service would then mostly be useful for the capital production and being able to chain irrigate.

Could become a production giant, by building workshops on flat tiles everywhere, if there is a lack of hills. With guilds and civil service, workshops give +3 hammers -1 food, meaning grassland hills or plains hills.

What could be done is spamming scientists everywhere, then instantly switching from a science economy to a production economy by putting those scientists to work on the workshops.

9. Levgre

Levgre King

also, you have an error... cataphracts actually lose the ability of being immune to first strikes.... normal knights have it.

Need to upgrade to flanking 2 to make them immune ;)

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I think I see coast 3E of the settler, and also 4E of the warrior, but not the tile between.
    2N1W of the warrior, there appears to be tundra.

If the warrior doesn't find something juicy to the NW, I'll be moving the settler 1S to get more river tiles and leave slightly extra space for what will likely be my GP farm to the north.

As for Victory Condition, I suspect Domination will be painful since Custom Continents generally has a lot more land than the average map.

11. srad

srad King

Because I'm a great fan of the spiritual trait I'll go for space to enjoy it as much as possible. Hope their are some other civs and horses on the continent to try the UU out :lol: .

About settling: Maybe I'll spend 2 rounds for exploring but looking at the screen I tend to settle N-NE. Much food and some hills for a early good production city (especially for settlers and workers).

12. adrianj

adrianj Deity

I'm more of a builder type, finding most of my games get late into the ADs for a space ship or UN diplo victory. This game I'm going to challenge myself to win by conquest. I'm not sure I've ever done that...

13. Mundungu

Mundungu Chieftain

Eventually a new BOTM ! something to take me away from CoL (yes I still like it, even wth all its flaws).

Looks like the northern hill is adjacent to Water, so I will send the settler more to the south-west, toward potential AI and reserve the space north & East for furture expansion. This level I think allows a couple of turns of running around and find a good spot ...

Thanks for the easier level, looking forward to a more relax game, and to whatever surprises the map may reveal .... Custom continents smells like surprises ...

14. KingdomBrunel

KingdomBrunel Warlord

It's certainly appreciated by me that one of the GOTMs is at a lower level every couple of months. :thumbsup:

15. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

I have never played this level before and was unsure how soon I could get to Guilds. I tried the test map and got the first Cataphract on the ground by turn 126. I built the mids while teching to Metalcasting through writing first to get a Library in my 2 cities. 2nd city chopped henge, then Library and ran 2 scientist. Its a chance that I would have popped a prophet, but I needed a scientist first to help with the researching and get an academy.

After building mids and getting Metacasting, I chopped/whipped a forge in the capitol and ran an engineer. Went down the priesthood line and built Oracle taking Feudalism.

Picked up Hunting and IW by turn 100...math by 106. Engineer comes at turn 107....bulbs Machinery. Tech set to Guilds. Traded for Alphabet...which got me poly and sailing. Turn 121 Guilds, Horsebackriding comes at turn 124 and first Cataphract on the ground at turn 126.

This plan is no good if it turns out we are isolated. and I waited really late to build the Oracle. Im not sure if Ill chance waiting that late in the real game though.

16. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

This should be mysticism and the wheel, right?

17. Gosha190

Gosha190 King

correct. I'v checked it just now.

18. Homunculus

Homunculus Chieftain

Well, this sounds like the perfect opportunity to play an xotm for the first time...

Question: should I be worried about there being no horses around?

19. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Horses aren't visible until you know Animal Husbandry, so there may be some in the start area that we just can't see yet.

20. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Now that I think about it, it's kind of evil to play us as a civ which starts with the Wheel, when Warlord gives the Wheel for free anyway.