[BTS] News: BOTM 180 - Deity! - Starts 20 July

I might start this (but what's the point?) Definitely won't finish this. Maybe in the ancient days I might have tried. Oh well, GOTMs aren't for me anymore.
Just ignore the unlisted charismatic trait benefits, it's deity so we'll die anyway.
Any Pro Tips for High King from the veteran Deity players? Settle on the hill? Or settle SE for river cottages? BUild worker, grow to pop 2 or pop3, depending on the number of corn farms, crank out settlers? Get Open Borders and trade resources one at a time asap to get good relations with nearby AIs so they're less likely to Declare War?

Tech to Bronze Working first to open up chopping and whipping?

Develop a strategy for fast teching?

Double corn calls for early Bronze for sure. Assuming slavery, Bronze --> Pottery is very reasonable. A granary on double corn gives tremendous returns.

Teching fast on Deity mostly means controlling the maintenance. You wanna make sure you'll hit your next tech targets when you're going to settle cities. It's not a reason to expand slow. It's a reason to tweak your build orders/tech path, so as to take the maintenance hit when it's convenient. e.g. : you have 3 cities and 2 workers and Pottery and no Writing. Maybe you should go up to 5 workers right now and then to 5 cities, so that you get Writing earlier (as opposed to going to 5 cities and 2 workers and 1000 BC Writing with nothing to build but warriors).
You want to make sure to use some GPP.
And developping the capital is crucial. It means settling the first cities close by, helpers, to start developping tiles. This is a reason not to settle on the middle corn. Also, you never know how many good city spots you'll get.

Then it's Continents... The map type is so varied it's hard to know what's up in store. It very much depends on the number of neighbours and who they is.

Can only agree with most of what @BornInCantaloup wrote.

As france, we already have agri+tw so the food we have available is already accessable.
Lots of food and forests call for early BW.
Likely techpath here is mining->bw->pottery.

I think I will move warrior SE to see if anything calls me to move in that direction.
Then possibly settler NE and then S or SE depending on what is revealed.

SiP is perfecly fine!

Consider settling ON the corn. This is probably not optimal if you're going for some sort of record, but if you're a Deity beginner, it will get you a worker sooner, and settlers sooner.
Don't over expand. Just pick good sites.
As others said, focus on slavery/granary with that food heavy start.
Cottage the river tiles.

Just assume the the AI will be nice until you're ready to turn on them. Either Horse Archers, Maces, or in this case, Musketeers would be fun. Gunpowder is pretty easy to get to early. Double bulb education. You get to ignore walls and castles :thumbsup:

Top Bottom