[BTS] News: BOTM 235 Results and Congratulations

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
Here's an idea: You decide for the first time in your life to submit a GOTM. You choose a deity game to do so. And as if deity isn't good enough for you, you play the challenger. save [*] And on your first submission you manage to be the only person to win the game. This means your first ever submission earns you the gold medal, the fastest conquest award, the cow, and the lowest-scoring conquest shield.

Total fantasy obviously. No way could anyone achieve that! I mean, you'd probably implode wouldn't you. Oh, hang on...

Yeah! It's mega-congratulations to @Implo for proving that this game was winnable.

As to the rest of you... Pathetic!!!!!!! I mean, not a single one of you regular players, with all that GOTM experience between you, could beat a measly little deity game? What is the World coming to? I guess I'll just have to hand out a few ambulances: Red one to @donsig and green one to our new mapmaker, @MarleysGh0st. And a special mention to @MirrorGuard who didn't get any awards but was, along with Implo, brave enough to play the challenger save [*].

[*] To be fair, the only difference with the challenger save was, no starting archer, so perhaps not a massive thing.

(This was @kcd_swede's map, I'm standing in to announce the results as he's not currently available).

(EDITED to mention the challenger saves)

Summary of Medal Winners Winner:

Implo: 1370 AD Conquest Victory, 472,891 points.

Other Award Winners:

MarleysGh0st: 1846 AD Spaceship Loss, 3,307 points.

donsig: 1822 AD Spaceship Loss, 2,060 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Last edited:
Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

Haha that was definitely unexpected! What a fun way to start my BOTM career!

I must thank lady luck. If Asoka put up more of a fight In the early game would have been dead.
Thanks for the effort in map making! I must admit I have a soft spot for deity games with a little twist :)

As to the rest of you... Pathetic!!!!!!!

For a Deity game, I'm very happy with my green ambulance.

On the other hand, if I use my standard metric of considering any score greater than 50% of the winner's score as a "good" game for me, well...

The score for all nine of us also-rans, added together, was a measly 3.6% of Implo's score. :eek:

I just can't--

Even if I watched an entire YouTube video of that game, I still wouldn't be able to understand how that tremendous victory happened. :bowdown:

Implo--truly a stunning win. I don't think there was any way to get a military victory without the bold (reckless?) gamble you took with your early attack. :salute:

Implo--truly a stunning win. I don't think there was any way to get a military victory without the bold (reckless?) gamble you took with your early attack. :salute:

I agree. Asoka seemed to be the guy to beat to have a fighting chance to win the map. Almost fortunate that he forced my hand with his 2nd city becoming a holy city.

This was an enormous win, Implo, congrats on that :trophy:
Being the only player to submit a win is sort of a hint...:clap:

I tried my hand at this map. I felt depressed from T0. 1900 land tiles, initial exploration reveals huge foodless wasteland to the north, Asoka settles the only commerce/luxury resource in our face. Even taking him out doesn't solve the Wasteland problem (others will settle it, we can't afford to do it ourselves).
I felt forced into early aggression, stole 2x worker, made peace while building up to an Axeman rush. Saw the opportunity for another worker steal, wasn't disciplined, redeclared to steal a third when Bombay had a single garrison archer. Asoka proceeds to spam archers to defend his hill cities. Now there are 4 in Bombay, I'm still building up and crushed under maintenance. GG wp.
I didn't sumbit but retired circa 2000 BC after a failed attack.

It's likely that teching up to a point where conquering could be swift (2-moves) and maintenance hits could be sustained (wasteland), i.e. Renaissance, would be the way to go (and then he has 20+ cities, so it's not easy peasy either). Kinda hard to recognize that by 2500 BC. I should remember to submit, next time (I have) terrible things happen to me in BOTM.

Top Bottom