News: BOTM89: Starts 15 April 2015

Help for clueless senior please :(

I just moved over to a mac. Buffy is running ok, but i can't start the save for this game. It gives me an error message about protecting my assets, lol.

Any solution appreciated.

Is it the error message saying that it can't start because protected assets have been modified? The usual reason for that is that you've installed another mod (or manually modified some of the game files). BUFFY refuses to work if other mods have been installed because of the risk of people applying mods that somehow give themselves some advantage in the game. The usual solution would be to uninstall the other mod or do a fresh install of civ.

Have you installed and loaded MacBUFFY? BUFFY with no 'Mac' is Windows only.

it's the mac version, thanks. no other mods installed. can't figure this one out. The error message is, The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed.

it's the mac version, thanks. no other mods installed. can't figure this one out. The error message is, The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed.

On the windows version, that error message occurs when the program is run without admin priveleges... you'd right click the exe file and select "run as an administrator". Don't know how mac sets admin priveleges for folders/files/programs, though. The game with mod loaded must have admin priveleges to write/record data in certain registries.

That's not an issue on the Mac.

The error message indicates that the mod and/or the Civ4 software are not correctly installed. There's a Mac Assets Checker that I created for MacBUFFY attached to this post. I suggest you download that and run it to get a report. Post the report here, and it may give us a clue about the problem.

Did you try running the MacAssetsCheck that AlanH mentioned in his post yesterday? Follow the link he gave and you can find the file to download - MacAssetsCheck.app.zip - at the bottom of that page. Unzip and run the assets check and post the results here, and it might (though not guaranteed) give us enough information to figure out what the problem is.

I am having the same error. I have just moved from Windows to MAC. I installed Civ IV and BTS through steam and then downloaded the buffy mod and followed the Readme. I copied the folder with buffy to my Doc-CivBTS-Mods folder . Here is the output from the assets checker:

Spoiler :
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Shaders/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Mods/HOF-Mac-2.13.001/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/HOF-Mac-1.74.002/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
File Size Error: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/
Extra Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens/TeamColor
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_LWPCookieJar.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/subprocess.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/cookielib.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_MozillaCookieJar.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_threading_local.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/decimal.pyc
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Shaders/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/PublicMaps/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Shaders/

Thanks for any help!

The key error in the listing :

Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

The MacBUFFY mod has to be installed in the Mods folder within the application folder, not in the ~/Documents/ tree. In the case of the Steam version, the application folder is ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/

When I move it to that folder, then it doesn't even show up in the list of Mods that can be loaded.

Okay so I solved the loading of the mod issue, under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/ there is a Beyond the sword folder and the mods
so ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/

Placing it there gets rid of the asset checker error saying the Buffy folder is missing
I still get the protected asset error

SO if I ignore the warlords errors, as best as I can figure the problem is a file size error on my CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py file

I think this is best continued in the Mac forum so I have reposted over there. Sorry for hijacking this thread

Top Bottom