News: Game of the month for Civ V - feedback appreciated

Just started playing but for me it would keep it GOTM (not the week or fortnight). I have too many alternative uses of my time to keep up otherwise.

No problem with concurrent games, I'll just pick the interestng one (for me). Would like it if it was a similar map but different requirements (difficulty, victory type,etc.)

Seccondly I would be put off by quirky changes, such as starting with a GS (described above). I'm using it to improve my game, not in manufactured scenarios

Lastly I think it will be better whenthe game allows more varied styles with improvements/patches. If puppets stopped being so beneficial to science for example. At the moment every game is a race to conquer the world (less one capital).

Since it currently looks like ICS is going to dominate the competition, I suggest making Settlers more expensive.

You might as wel call it "mod of the month" instead of GOTM then... ;)

(This is unfortunate because I really do like the mechanics of quick combat during your turn and the elimination of watching all your allies’ combat actions)
....can we get an option that lets us turn off combat that is not ours?

Please make GOTM (Game of the Month) and TSGs (Training Series Games) easier on new visitors.

When you've been around something for a while it's easy to start using acronyms (e.g. GOTM and TSG) that are difficult for new users to understand. It labels the user as an expert and dare I say there are some who like to show off.

If you want a larger audience to know how clever you are write clearly without using acronyms that are not explained. Another reason is that the search engine refuses to search for three letters such as "ICS" but easily finds, "Infinite City Sprawl," thus allowing your brilliant post to be found and read by everyone.

Please make GOTM (Game of the Month) and TSGs (Training Series Games) easier on new visitors.

When you've been around something for a while it's easy to start using acronyms (e.g. GOTM and TSG) that are difficult for new users to understand. It labels the user as an expert and dare I say there are some who like to show off.

If you want a larger audience to know how clever you are write clearly without using acronyms that are not explained.
There is a thread concerning common acronym usage. Although this one is specific to the Civilization 4 series, many of the same acronyms are used in Civilization 5.

You may also read The Welcome Thread or any of the Game Announcement threads, Training Series Game 3 is used as an example?

I hope this helps you ease into the GOTM.

Welcome to the Game Of The Month series photophor! :hatsoff:

I'm sure you will get a lot out of playing and reading about the individual games.

I know my games got progressively better after I started playing this series.

You may also want to look at the Succession games, as some very high levels of play are observed in this series.

When are we going live? Did somebody ask this? Am eagerly looking forward to the next challenge. I find GOTM and HOF a lot more fun than just loading up a game on my own. Hasn't it been over a month since T3 save was posted?

Yes, it has been nearly a month. Unfortunately, as we explained in the initial thread, we are not entirely sure that each new patch to the game will allow a game from a previous version to work properly. Additionally, with STEAM, we do not have reasonable expectations that player's software will not automatically update during a GOTM's run.

There is a patch expected soon and we are currently awaiting it. We do not have a firm date for its release, so I guess we will wait until it shows up?

Sorry for the delay. :crazyeye:

Is the next one actually a GOTM or is it another TSG?

It seems like we could get a TSG while we await the patch...if the last release is any indication, we have about 10 days after Greg posts an estimated time to release...and with the holiday this week, we probably have even longer...

You could simply note that players need to change their Steam settings to not auto-update and that TSG is to be played with a certain version.

Is the next one actually a GOTM or is it another TSG?

It seems like we could get a TSG while we await the patch...if the last release is any indication, we have about 10 days after Greg posts an estimated time to release...and with the holiday this week, we probably have even longer...

You could simply note that players need to change their Steam settings to not auto-update and that TSG is to be played with a certain version.
It would be another TSG.

I'll bring it up in with the staff and see what they think.

Not everyone will change those settings, and changing them isn't always enough should a STEAM update happen too.

It has been 10 days since 2KGreg told us it was coming. However, there still is no expected date that we know of? :hmm:

I red earlier on that post that we were planning to focus on 1 victory type for the Training Serie because of the, by-now, low participation in Civ4 GOTM.

I'm enjoying the TSG and participation seem high enough. Could we try to aim at 2 victory types to see if the result would still mean something???

How is the GOTM planning to incorporate mods?

I started playing with CCMAT and am having way more fun than I did with vanilla, which is why I haven't been playing any of the TGS since the first one. I'd love to participate in some future ones but understand there needs to be a level playing field.

Do certain mods, over time, end up becoming "mandatory" and required for play?

In our Civ4 series, we only use mods that enhance player facilities and access to existing game information without changing game play, and which allow us to collect additional details to police player behaviour against our non-replay rules. I would expect that, if and when we start a serious competition for Civ5, the same guidelines will apply. I have no idea whether CCMAT changes game play, but if it does then it is unlikely to figure in our future plans unless it becomes an integral part of the Firaxis code.

Do we have some kind of deadline on current tsg4?

GoTM staff' silence makes me remind Cataclysm' launch on dec7 :)

Do we have some kind of deadline on current tsg4?

GoTM staff' silence makes me remind Cataclysm' launch on dec7 :)
:lol:

Last Monday was, sort of, the deadline. We are just starting to tabulate results for TSG4 now. So, please, post your games. :)

We are discussing TSG5 and working on an automated system for results, as well as the upcoming patch for Civ5 which is going to make significant changes. We are trying to work on figuring out WorldBuilder and ModBuddy so we can once again become evil mapmakers... :mischief:

And, well, Christmas is coming. :xmascheers:

Top Bottom