News: Game of the month for Civ V - feedback appreciated

I'd like to suggest that you post the GOTM earlier than you do. If I am not mistaken the past three just so happen to fall on a weekend. It's nice to wake up early and see the challenge ready. But it always seems the maps don't get posted until much later... Like 1PM ET or so.

Can't you prepare maybe one day earlier and then post the maps first thing in the morning on the designated day?

I tend to agree, but I understand you are all volunteers doing the best you can.

Could you maybe manage something consistent like midnight GMT? That would be waking hours state side.

We will look into the whole game release issue. We have been discussing this in staff. Suffice it to say that we have not had the tools to do what you ask. However, I believe they are available now so we may be able to make some adjustments.

I played Civ VI GOTM quite a bit and I could always find my way the IV GOTM saves. I never actually live long enough to finish a game but was always fun trying.

I cannot seem to find them for Civ V GOTM. I'd like to download Civ V GOTM #48 so I can watch the YouTube series showing how (one person) played that Game while providing strategies of how to win.

:thanx: Browd. :goodjob:

I played Civ VI GOTM quite a bit and I could always find my way the IV GOTM saves. I never actually live long enough to finish a game but was always fun trying.

I cannot seem to find them for Civ V GOTM. I'd like to download Civ V GOTM #48 so I can watch the YouTube series showing how (one person) played that Game while providing strategies of how to win.
The saves are always linked at the bottom of the Announcement thread.

For TSG48, The Save can be found here.

Here is a suggestion for a future GOTM: let's try to play with an AI mod. I know that mods are excluded from GOTM, but what about having a GOTM in which the purpose is to spcifically try out a mod and play with enhanced AI? For many players, AI stupidity is the biggest problem with playing Civ V. I read there are some AI mods out there that do a decent job at making the AI smarter. Perhaps AI modders and GOTM players could be mutually supportive for one round of GOTM?

There are any number of issues involved with mods for CiV. If the mod uses a custom .dll, that would eliminate Mac players from the game. In addition, we would need to test the mod to see what effect it has on the submission system. Then there is the problem of teaching players that do not generally use mods how to load them and use them, and what do we do if they have an issue with the mod.

This is why, unless the Hall of Fame works with us to produce and test a mod, we do not use them.

There are any number of issues involved with mods for CiV. If the mod uses a custom .dll, that would eliminate Mac players from the game. In addition, we would need to test the mod to see what effect it has on the submission system. Then there is the problem of teaching players that do not generally use mods how to load them and use them, and what do we do if they have an issue with the mod.

This is why, unless the Hall of Fame works with us to produce and test a mod, we do not use them.

An option would be to have a parallel series with a game once a two month that let's people try new mods. Let people who like to experiment try out and discuss new experiences.

Here is a suggestion for a future GOTM: let's try to play with an AI mod. I know that mods are excluded from GOTM, but what about having a GOTM in which the purpose is to spcifically try out a mod and play with enhanced AI? For many players, AI stupidity is the biggest problem with playing Civ V. I read there are some AI mods out there that do a decent job at making the AI smarter. Perhaps AI modders and GOTM players could be mutually supportive for one round of GOTM?

Out of curiosity what mod would that be ?

Can we have hope for the next games with advanced era start?
Recently it was TSG83 and attracted a lot of interest from players.
Personally I'd most like to see domination immortal/deity modern era start.
Currently I almost only play GOTMs and my games look so: domination in medieval or even classical era or skipping instantly from industrial to information era in other victory conditions
(I do not remember even longer like look a plane in the game :cry: )

I hate games with advance era start.

What I think would be interesting if some additional conditions used.
For example, I like GOTM in which use of TRADITION is prohibited.

Can we have hope for the next games with advanced era start?
Recently it was TSG83 and attracted a lot of interest from players.
Personally I'd most like to see domination immortal/deity modern era start.
Currently I almost only play GOTMs and my games look so: domination in medieval or even classical era or skipping instantly from industrial to information era in other victory conditions
(I do not remember even longer like look a plane in the game :cry: )
Funny you should ask this.
Keep your eyes peeled for TSG87. :mischief:

I loved playing the latest GOTM! I had a great plan, BUT things didn't align properly and I was doomed early ...So now what? Wait til next month...?

Maybe add a place to submit games you "Have Started, and have knowledge of the map".

We all make mistakes, sometimes things as stupid as the Cat stepping on your mouse could ruin what would have been a great game.

Sooo, now you know the map, Civs, etc.....Now use what you have learned to get the highest score possible...Still a great challenge!

You are welcome to replay the game and post that information in the After Action thread. What you cannot do is submit your second or later attempts, only the first one.

We encourage players to learn from their mistakes and replay, just cannot submit that game. Best of luck.

Please, in the announcement thread attach the starting screenshot with "Yields Icons" option turned ON, so we can see at a glance what hexes produce all around (it helps novice players). Thanks

In the announcement thread can ya'll change this line "Number of AI Opponents: X" to "Number of Civilizations: X"? The advanced set-up screen says number of civilizations at the top, so this change would make it easier to set-up practice games. After all, if you say there are 10 AI civs the 10th is in the 11th civ slot since the player is always in the first slot, so it's very easy for someone to look at the last AI slot saying it's team 10 and think there are 10 AI when there is really only 9. In other words there's less chance of confusion about the actual number by saying number of Civs instead of number of AI.

Top Bottom