News: GOTM 15 Pre-game Discussion

Well this will be my first GOTM and my first game above emperor ... so I think I'll start with the contender as my offical game. Once that pummeling is out of the way (shouldn't take long) ... I'll play the adventurer start and see what I've learned.

A very interesting set of discussions. Obviously the level has put some anticipation (or dread!) into the usual participants. :)

I plan to play the bonusless/penaltyless Challenger variant. Sounds like fun. :crazyeye: Good Luck, everyone!

Screw it. I'll take challenger for a diety challenge, die quickly, then do contender, die slower, and then do adventurer and maybe win (5% chance)

but darnit, I'm taking CHALLENGER!

The great thing about the contender/adventurer saves is... you start with a worker but the worker can't do anything until you research the wheel or mining (unless you use him to explore for the 10 turn grace period before barbs start spawning)

Are you sure? In a test game I ran into animal barbs very early ... seems like around turn 5 or so.

Are you sure? In a test game I ran into animal barbs very early ... seems like around turn 5 or so.

I did some tests on worldbuilder and satisfied myself that animals don't start appearing until turn 6. As far as I can make out, provided your worker is back inside your cultural borders by the beginning of turn 6, he's completely safe

I would so like to try Adventurer this month, but a one off top half finish many moons ago prevents me damn it (do they check, anybody know?).

I would so like to try Adventurer this month, but a one off top half finish many moons ago prevents me damn it (do they check, anybody know?).

The results get published, remember. Even if the staff didn't notice (I'm not totally sure how hard that particular rule is anyway), anyone will be able to see that you submitted an adventurer save

Here is another test map. I hope I got it right.

Of course, all of this could be a non-issue when we find ourselves alone on a continent with Monty, just of range...:eek:
Which, as you may have seen, seems to be the case with Gnejs' map. Pity -- I was just trying to learn about how to manage a Q.rush at lower levels. What I learned from G's test is that barbs kill single quechuas pretty easily, and that waiting for a barracks was a waste of time given how high a fraction of my Q's got eaten anyway.

It does seem very likely that the continent will be large enough that a Quecha Rush won't be effective. As several have suggested, scouting and fog-busting will be the Quecha's job.
I guess I have to be ready to use this as a backup plan - scout close-in, then if nothing found, fan out to explore as much as I can reach (?)

Quechas seem to be pretty useful up for fog busting while the Barbs have only archers. I think that's one of the reasons we're starting with Huayna Capac.

This is a bit late. But since I got the Cultural award in GOTM 13, all peaceful awards are not interesting to me. And it will be impossible to get domination or conquest in a Deity game, at least for a builder like me.

So, the award I am going for is the COW!!:D

Playing for the cow award is actually very interesting for a Deity game, in which you cannot just milk till 2050 and have the highest population or something. You have to guarantee yourself a victory, but as LATE as you can to maximize in-game score. There is a great risk that the AIs will be faster than you if you manipulate too much.

I don't know if I can even win this for now, but I will take the Challenger save and go for the cow. I think it will be very interesting competition, anyone joining me?

Screw it. I'll take challenger for a diety challenge, die quickly, then do contender, die slower, and then do adventurer and maybe win (5% chance)

but darnit, I'm taking CHALLENGER!

not an accusation aimed at jericho. i'm just a total newbie here and want to make sure i understand what i read in the FAQ. you can only submit your first game attempt correct? you can play it over and over afterwards, just to compare for yourself how you do with the others, but you mean you'd submit the challenger one and then do the others for fun? or do i not understand the rules?

and what is the COW award?

i may try this just to get my candya** kicked. see sig, i'm so not a diety player! but i imagine lots of folks will get slaughtered so i won't be alone, i hope. no offense. i mean, i hope you all win glorious victories and surprise yourselves. then i'd probably win the COW award (whatever it is) *giggle*.

oh i found a list of the awards on a search. so i'm guessing i'd be in the red ambulance category :lol: .

and i don't see a deadline for submitting. is it default the last day of the month or am i just blind?

not an accusation aimed at jericho. i'm just a total newbie here and want to make sure i understand what i read in the FAQ. you can only submit your first game attempt correct? you can play it over and over afterwards, just to compare for yourself how you do with the others, but you mean you'd submit the challenger one and then do the others for fun? or do i not understand the rules?
You're 100% correct. Play the game once, submit. By all means play the game again for fun and learning, but don't submit those games. If you're not submitting your first try, you can't submit at all. :)

and what is the COW award?
The cow award goes to the game with the higheast ingame base score, i.e. the score before the win bonus. The symbol is chosen because you can 'milk' the game for score, hence the cow.

thank you for the patience with my newbie questions! i did find the answer on end date, seems it's the end of the month.

what are the rules on the spoiler threads? is the first always up to a certain date? i don't want to play some and then open it and see info i shouldn't on the first post of course.

on a test game i downloaded from this thread i survived til 895 BC /flex. actually would have been longer, monty hadn't taken "my" cities, just razed the city i'd taken from him (i'd razed another of his too), but i clearly was going down so i called it. longer than i'd expected tho!

those barbs are mean as sin, and fast to tech up! i've been playing with no barbs lately on HoF games, gotta re-learn my fog-busting. and had no horses in that one waaaaaaah.

thank you for the patience with my newbie questions! i did find the answer on end date, seems it's the end of the month.
Your welcome. :) Indeed, each game lasts a month. The so-called "Vanilla" CIV GotMs start at the first of each month, Warlord WotMs on the 15th.

what are the rules on the spoiler threads? is the first always up to a certain date? i don't want to play some and then open it and see info i shouldn't on the first post of course.
We try to open the first spoiler about a week after the game starts, but there's no hard rule. The same goes for the qualifications, no hard rules, but most of the time the first spoiler requires you to know very AI civ on the map or the landmass you've started on. When you open the thread you'll just see the first post with the rules that apply to that particular game. You can open one of the spoiler threads of earlier games to see what kind of rules there are.
The final spoiler always requires you to have submitted the game.

OK.

I know that land-based health and happiness bonus can come from any connected resource within cultural boundaries with the right improvement on it. Apparently sea-based health and happiness bonus will only accrue if the tile is inside a city and actually getting worked (like the growth effect of a cottage).

To the best of my knowledge, the sea tiles are just like the land ones.

It must be in your cultural borders, but not necessarily any city's borders. If you build the improvement on it (i.e. fishing boat for all sea tiles), you have one (fish, whale, whatever) to trade, and you get the health or happiness benefits if you have built the appropriate buildings (grocery, supermarket, etc).

Top Bottom