News: GOTM 69 - Starts 1 August

jesusin

Ant
GOTM Staff

GOTM 69: Montezuma

After years of wandering the Aztec people are ready to settle down and found your first city. Other tribes are in the same situation... but not all of them. Rumors go around about the EMPIRE, a mighty tribe that has developed into a civilization years ago. Will you be able to catch up with them? Or will you succumb to their head start?

Game settings:

Civilization: Aztec (Leader: Montezuma; Traits: Aggressive, Spiritual)
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Prince
Map: Lakes
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea Level: Medium
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: None. All Goody Huts have been removed.
Victory Conditions: all enabled

Montezuma:

Montezuma is Aggressive and Spiritual ; starting with Hunting and Mysticism. As you are Spiritual you get no anarchy and you also get double speed temple. Being Aggressive, your melee and gunpowder units get a free Combat I promotion and you also get double speed Barracks and Drydock.

Unique unit: Jaguar(replaces Swordman)

Compared to the Swordman this unit has a cost of 35 instead of 40, a strength of 5 instead of 6, an additional 25% when defending on jungle and it can be built with the knowledge of Iron Working, without the need to connect Iron.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
  1. Servants: You start the game with one additional Worker.

Challenger Class Equalisers:
  1. Monarch: You play the game at Monarch difficulty, although AI will receive Prince starting units and you will score as if playing on Prince.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open on 1 August 2011. From that date, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 September 2011.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords or BTS), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the HOF mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of the game outside those threads while it is in progress.

Please write here or send me a Private Message for any technical queries, eg. if you have trouble opening the game. Do NOT post in this thread once you have successfully opened the starting save.

Did you eat our food again?

Settle on the elephants to keep both flood plains?
or the plains hill? or explore more?

We played a GOTM as Aztecs, and at Prince dificulty, only 5 months ago :(

Settling on elephants looks a decent proposition, for 2H start and some flood plains. I'd move scout NE NE first though. If that showed rubbish land, I might be tempted by the PH.

We played a GOTM as Aztecs, and at Prince dificulty, only 5 months ago :(

man, it actually seemed like yesterday that I played that game...oh well.

I think it was the last GOTM I played so it does feel quite recent :p

BTS is so much better. In particular, I'm always amazed at how much golden ages suck on vanilla. And you need 2 GP for your first one!

Steady guys, we have had 12 various xOTM's since we last had Aztecs. By co-incidence it was Vanilla & Prince as well.

Jesusin is probably not feeling the love he deserves for:
1) Taking time to setup a game that is balanced and/or interesting
2) Not being able to play a GOTM himself.

Me personally, I am looking forward to meeting the EMPIRE. I hope its leader is Darth Vader!

Interesting concept, I wonder how far ahead tech-wise the empire is. If they a distance away, maybe they won't be a factor. However, if they are close neighbors, we might get to practice our diplomatic skills ;). They may also discourage early rush strategies.

Did not get to play the last Aztec game...
that's a shame - quite a bit of care was spent on the map ;)

With CP back, one of the top two spots is taken. But with jesusin out, maybe the rest of you should try for fast culture.

Jesusin is probably not feeling the love he deserves for:
1) Taking time to setup a game that is balanced and/or interesting
2) Not being able to play a GOTM himself.
:agree:

In Vanilla, the resource bubbles point toward the equator, so there is definitely land to the north of the elephants.
And the trees 2S of the scout still have some snow from last winter ;), so they must be close to the south pole.

In Vanilla, the resource bubbles point toward the equator, so there is definitely land to the north of the elephants.

Oooh, is that true for Warlords, too? psparky is compiling a list of all (well, most of) the differences between Vanilla, Warlords, and BTS. The thread is here for anyone who wants to contribute, help vet, or (of course ;)) use.

Good point. Plus, looking more carefully, I can easily see more land... :)

Looks like more fps to teh east as well.

In Vanilla, the resource bubbles point toward the equator

Oooh, is that true for Warlords, too? psparky is compiling a list of all (well, most of) the differences between Vanilla, Warlords, and BTS. The thread is here for anyone who wants to contribute, help vet, or (of course ;)) use.

This does indeed seem to be a difference between vanilla and the other games, so I'll add it to the list shortly.

Top Bottom