News: TSG1 Announcement

This thread has been posted on Sep 23, 2010, but when exactly is the deadline for scores / replays?

We're keeping this particular game open for 2 weeks, so I believe we will close the actual competition for this game at the end of the day on October 7th(server time, since we are all in different areas of the world). Don't worry though, we'll be opening the second game in the Training Series soon afterward.

Additionally, you are welcome to continue playing the TSG1 save afterward and participating in the discussions, you just won't be considered for the 'awards' that we'll give out for the top games in this first game.

How do you make a screenshot? My Print Screen does not work...
Or at least, when I paste the shot, I get a black picture (in paint or word).

Civ 5 is saving them in your screenshots folder under my documents\my games\firaxisgames\civ5 or something like that. But it saves them as .tga files, which paint won't read. (Some have also gotten black screens for the first several screenshots but ok later) Pasting the clipboard after print screen into paint gave me the same black pictures.

To read the .tga, go online to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download and install the viewer. Use it like paint to open the .tga files, and convert them to something smaller (on my box, .tga is 8 MB each in size :eek:)

dV

I went through this this morning. As dV says, IrFanview.

When I hit the "Print Screen" key, it actually saves a copy of the screen in "My Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization 5 > ScreenShots" Looking in the folder, you should see files named Civ5Screen000, Civ5Screen0001, etc.

I couldn't get them into Paint either so I went looking and found IrFanview, a free download, and it took care of everything for me. It reads and edits .tga files and converts them into .jpg. Highly recommend it. :)

Also for reference Irfanview can be set to do a batch conversion of files, so you don't have to do every one manually.

It's in the file menu - File - Batch Conversion / Rename.

Then there are a couple of dialogue boxes to work through - it may seem tedious at first, but if you set it up the first time you can simply do heaps of files at a later date with a few clicks.

We're keeping this particular game open for 2 weeks, so I believe we will close the actual competition for this game at the end of the day on October 7th(server time, since we are all in different areas of the world). Don't worry though, we'll be opening the second game in the Training Series soon afterward.

Additionally, you are welcome to continue playing the TSG1 save afterward and participating in the discussions, you just won't be considered for the 'awards' that we'll give out for the top games in this first game.

Wait, what? I assumed a Game of the Month would last a month and was just about to get around to playing it. :(

Wait, what? I assumed a Game of the Month would last a month and was just about to get around to playing it. :(
We are currently running a training series for Civ5 as we do not have the submission system nor security mod in place to run actual competitions.

This is AlanH's response to a similar question:
This is not the real thing. It's just practice. Once we have worked out the mechanics of submissions, scoring, ranking etc. we'll probably set up a monthly competition. But for now you are hopefully learning a few things for yourselves, and helping us to work out what this game can do, and having some fun.

In any case, "Game of the Month" shouldn't be taken too literally. It is a brand that we use to cover a variety of competitions. We have a Civ4 Succession GOTM that has been known to run for six months in the past, and the current game is scheduled to run for three months, until December.

Please note this post as well. It explains what we hope to do here.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, just a little surprising and disappointing. Gonna play it and post it anyway.

I just rediscovered this forum. I'm going to play through all of these, but with the expansion and different maps out of necessity.

Top Bottom