Next city location

Tinkerbell

Prince
How about this as our next city location?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 248
Not to be a downer, but I'm not crazy about that spot for our first settler.

Negatives:
- more than 2 tiles from CERN = tough to defend (2 moves on roads, not 3)
- all of the resources need a cultural expansion except for one of the dyes (which CERN has already)
- it will grow slowly, as it has no access to any grasslands until we chop jungle (Iron Working)

I prefer the site CERN-4-1-1 (jungle hill north of a clam) This site will have immediate access to clams and rice, is a 1-turn move from CERN, gets us greater visibility into The Great Oceansea, and can work 3 mined grassland hills (10:hammers:) without a cultural expansion at size 4, which it can achieve fairly quickly due to the rice and clams. Good site to make workers for the other towns :yup:

I was also looking at 4-1-1. It will also get the cow when either it or CERN expands.

Another option is CERN-1-2-2-2 with clam+cow. This site lets us put another city CERN-4-4-1 or 4-4-4-1, in case there is more seafood lurking in the western sea.

I agree with peter is better to place at 4-1-1, but i would leave ana make a bit more exploration in the nearby east area to see whats there before deciding, also, ¿how long until cern cultural radious expand? would be great if that happens before the end of the settler.

The settler 'll be ready in 4 turns of now, after Archi has chopped the forrest. That is 2320 BC, CERN's next cult expansion is ~2000.

Three sites proposed for next city. I gave a look at them:

B (4-1-1) : 3 hills, grass cows=12 H; enough food. Lots of overlap with CERN,so
I do not count twice the overlaped tiles. A military city, but C plays the same
role and it's better.

C (1-2-2-2) : 4 hills, grass cows=15 H. Food a little faster, can perform with
just 5 pop and can begin output quickly. Later, food is enough for 2
workshops. Total development not possible due to overlap.

A (3-3-3-2) : 4 hills, 2H site=14H. Food just enough. But this city can be also
or primary a commercial city. Dye+gem+cottages can give a good output;
just grow will be slow.

No farms were considered,as just much later are possible and CERN must pay
a price for it.
So, IMHO the decision between A and C depends on the role CERN wants to
follow.

Best regards,

How is thought the defense of the settler, 3 tiles (6, 3, 2) at the founding tile can hide animals. Ana can't do it.

We can't found B and C together, because they too close.

I would go for B first.
When the settler reaches that tile and finds another seafood in the unknown territory, I would found on 7 from B.
The B location can pay for itself, needs no initial defense (big help!), probably needs no early culture and can build workers/settlers after some growth to help CERN.

Further I would move C on 3.
It's definately not the city we want to settle first, because jungle-bananas need IW+calendar and cows need AH, which we don't have when founding.

I don't like A too much.
(First of all: A needs early culture, grows slow, needs IW. This doesn't make it hot now.)
Maybe settling 2-3 from A and 8 or 8-8 of the gems could be wise?
I think we need Ana's next move(s) to find out how we want to settle the east. Depending on this we can decide how we grab the gems...

We have so many hills around, that it's not so easy to find a good (clear) cottage-city...

How is thought the defense of the settler, 3 tiles (6, 3, 2) at the founding tile can hide animals. Ana can't do it.

Good question. I haven't been paying attention to whether CERN has a MP right now. Does it? If not, then someone's going to have to reverse course immediately, or we should arrange for a warrior to be built too.

I tried to dotmap our known lands a bit.

Note, that especially Ana. could change things rather soon...

hybrid
Already proposed by Tinker and HUSch.
Strong city that produces well and has some commerce potential as well.
Problem is, that it needs early culture for the resource-tiles. Further gems and lots of jungle need IW and banana and dyes need calendar.
It would interesting to found a religion here, but that is quite a gamble... (might work as third city, when going for early thrid settler)

commerce
Is definately the best cottage-city we can found early on. 5 green riverside cottages (+1 shared with CERN) and a total of 12 grasland cottages possible. Production is also not bad: 5 green hills (but we might want to cottage the riverside grasland hill). Early growth is a problem because only jungle-bananas...
But a temporary farm and irrigated banana after IW should work fine...
Would be my choice for 3rd or 4th city.

moai
If there is another seafood, I would found it at the cape. If there is nothing more, 8 of the clams looks good.
Decent early production with green hills. Growth is also fine with clams. Does not need early protection and clams can fund the maintainace. Might not need early culture.
Later on it can build the moais and is good commerce/production city.
Could build granery first while growing with clams. Then 1 or 2 units (MP for city+CERN; or barracks?) until it can start on workers/settlers with pop3/pop4.
This is my first choice for 2nd city.

hybrid2
Decent hybrid city with cows and shared bananas for growth. A couple of hills give a solid production.
... Can be founded later on...

commerce2 ?
... with a big question mark as we don't know much about that area, but coastal, floods, 3 green hills it should be ok.
This location fits good with "hybrid" but we'll have to see the terrain first...

production
This should be a strong production city. Food from fish and pigs, lots of hills...

commerce3 ?
Looks like a no-brainer: Oasis, lots of floods and graslands for cottages, incense, some hills for production.
... a little too for a way for our first 3-4 cities...

filler ?
... need to know more about the territory first...

A different setup would be to move "commerce" 2-2, "hybrid" 2-2 and found another cottage-city 8-8 of "commerce". I think I like that idea even a little better:crazyeye:

Attachments

• städte1.jpg
    städte1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 210
  • städte2.jpg
    städte2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 202
  • städte3.jpg
    städte3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 190
concerning settler protection:
In case we found in the west we don't need a protection.
If we want to go for a location in the SE Ana. can move 3-1-... So I don't think there is much of a problem...

@Topas
how will you look in the west? With the settler, he needs 3 turns to Lands End, then he settles or if he sees nothing, he needs another turn to go at tile (clam 8) to settle there.

HUSch
Maybe we have to sacrifice a turn to scout, but it could also work something like this:

T42
- settler finished
- CERN builds warrior (1 turn)
- settler moves 1-4
T43
- warrior finished
- settler 1 -> settler on clams-8 -> sees 4 tiles to the west (clams-7, clams-7-7, clams-7-6, clams-6-6 (and clams-4-1 but this is mainly uninteresting))
- warrior 1-4/4-4 if workers build road on rice or the grasland-hill before (Eupalinos?)
T44
- warrior 7/4 -> can see 2 more tiles (7 of cape-tile and 7-8 of cape-tile)
-> if we see 2nd seafood somewhere settler moves on cape-tile, else we have to decide during our turn if we want to sacrifice a turn into scouting/moving on the cape-tile.

(Even without a 2nd seafood we might want to consider the cape-tile because of less overlap with CERN and other following cities...)

Without a second boni, it is then neccessary to get cult Expansion first, also build a monument or research religion.
btw
I 've nothing against a lost turn for better situation/info about it.

I have to take a look into the game in the next days, but I think somewhere around the 2nd rice should be best.

Earlier in the thread there was a map showing a city in the center of the 2nd rice, gems, banana, 2nd dye. That one would be good but difficult to develop quickly.

How about the one labeled commerce, next to the bananas? That one will be very easy to develop and can grow population. We could even farm one or two river tiles to grow it faster and then replace farms with cottages.

Top Bottom