Next Civ Game - Civilization Warhammer?

MosheLevi

Prince
The latest big success of "Total War: Warhammer" makes me think that perhaps the Civ serious should take the same path?

For the first time ever the latest Total War game has more online players than the latest Civ game.

At this moment "Total War: Warhammer" has 20,000 players playing the game vs 16,000 players for Civ 6.

Perhaps it's time for the Civ series the take a new approach with a new "Civilization Warhammer"?

This will require each nation to have its own unique units and the game will have to incorporate "Magic" to the game play.

"Civilization Warhammer" will look like no other Civ game, and I believe that's what this series needs.

Your thoughts?

There are 3 things to keep in mind:

1) Civ VI is suffering a lot from community backlash which is probably going to diminish quickly after the first expansion. A lot of the Civ fanbase stuck with Civ V for now.
2) The Total War business model is radically different to Civ. Civ titles have a 6 year cycle that consists of 2 expansions and several small DLC in between. The latest Total War games don't have expansions per se, but lots of medium-large DLC that add factions and campaigns. So the Total War game you get at the beginning doesn't fundamentally change all that much at the end of its cycle. I mean, TW: Warhammer is a little more than 1 year old and it has already an announced sequel. Firaxis would never release a sequel so early as they keep more content for the same game down the line.
3) The Civ fanbase is perhaps more so attached to the historical substrate of the games. The Total War fanbase already caused its own mini-backlash with long-time fans not liking the non-historical theme of the game. My prediction is that Civ would suffer even more from that, but that's just my opinion. That's not to say fantasy-based scenarios/mods aren't popular in Civ games, but I'm not sure how willing people would be to have an entire Civ game based on them.

Just my 2c.

After being disappointed with Beyond Earth I'm not encouraging a non-historical Civ game.

I lack so much the scenarios of Civ3 Conquest that I would say why not. But keep the historic background and don't include magic. Just maybe reduce the time span of the games, and focus on scenarios like Rome, Conquest of New World and things like that. Of course normal Civs will still be released in parallel.

Top Bottom