Next Civ game most likely will be a fantasy game

I wrote this before but I belive we get Civ announcement this year:

2K Games has written that there will be several Firaxis projects announced this year, including new franchise in August. That game was Midnight Suns.

Now we are supposed to have Civilization 30yrs anniversary specials and surprises so I think announcement of a new Civ would fit there quite nice, with release sometime in 2022. :smoke:

When a civ edition is released, it takes somewhere around 5 or 6 years for the next edition to be released. Civ6 was released in 2016, so a release in 2022 sounds very likely. However, as much as I want and would love an announcement this year, I don't believe it will happen, it's just been a very short time since the last DLC release. That said, I believe in an announcement in the first half of next year and the release in the second half.

cant 't wait for warhammer: civilization

Liable to be a long wait: Games Workshop keeps a tight grip on their Intellectual Property, and they already have their own Warhammer-based computer games . . .

When a civ edition is released, it takes somewhere around 5 or 6 years for the next edition to be released. Civ6 was released in 2016, so a release in 2022 sounds very likely. However, as much as I want and would love an announcement this year, I don't believe it will happen, it's just been a very short time since the last DLC release. That said, I believe in an announcement in the first half of next year and the release in the second half.

Yeah, especially if you go by windows between releases. Between the last DLC for V and the base game of VI, was 3 years.

Not sure about fantasy but I’d love some RPG elements, like the hero but with leveling, upgradeable buildings with stats of your choice etc

As I have posted elsewhere, I think Civ VII needs to "double down" on Named Characters in contrast to other 4X games out there, and part of that could be 'side quests' and 'narratives' related to named characters ranging from Leaders to Great People to 'Governors', and connected to Civs, City States, Barbarians, Natural Wonders, etc.

To be blunt. I would not play a fantasy outing. Sci-fi, yes please. Fantasy, no thank you. If I want to play a turn based fantasy game there are far better alternatives.

To be blunt. I would not play a fantasy outing. Sci-fi, yes please. Fantasy, no thank you. If I want to play a turn based fantasy game there are far better alternatives.

I feel like there's a lot more SciFi 4x games out there then fantasy, though there's definitely a lot more variety in them as well. You can have both 'planet based'4xs (i.e. SMAC, BE2, Pandora:First Contact) and space-based 4xs (i.e. MoO, Endless Space). A lot of the Fantasy ones tend to be more samey.

My vote continues to go for a mythological-based 4x within a limit time frame, but at this point I'm not even sure there will be a spin off, versus just directly going to Civ VII.

This is utterly irrrelevant for me I have no interest in a non history inspired 4x game, if I would there are plenty to pick from already that fill that need from studios that have far more experience and can reliably execute on said concepts. Amplitude to name just one. They off all studios have shown that they can do fantasy quite well but suck at the historical angle. The inverse would be true for Firaxis if they try to do a fantasy version of civ. And beyond that if anything beyond earth has shown what happens if they make a game not aimed at their audience, it will fail, and so would any form of fantasy or myhology game from Firaxis.

Either they deliver on the franchise or they become a footnote, plain and simple, not much more to

The inverse would be true for Firaxis if they try to do a fantasy version of civ. And beyond that if anything beyond earth has shown what happens if they make a game not aimed at their audience, it will fail, and so would any form of fantasy or myhology game from Firaxis.
I mean to be fair, I believe a mythology game would still have historical elements to it. I do agree it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if they do make a spin-off game I think it would be closer to what Civilization game might be instead of a Sci-Fi one, at least. I'm not the biggest fan of Sci-Fi myself so I would gladly take a mythology/fantasy one instead.

I still want my 'Ancient Civilizations' which goes from the classical period to maybe 1400 A.D. A civ game that doesn't go from rocks tied to sticks to nuclear weapons. More focused on two or three or four periods.

I know Old World is doing sort of that but the look and feel of that game is nothing like I would do a 'classical period' civ builder. It has a very medieval feel to it which is not what I want at all. Think the first 'Age of Empires' in tone.

Amplitude to name just one. They off all studios have shown that they can do fantasy quite well but suck at the historical angle.
I think they're kind of stuck pouring money into Humankind at this point (a game that is just good enough to frustrate me that it isn't better because it has potential--it just needs so much more work), but man, I wish they'd go back to the Endless franchise. I want Endless Space 3 because Endless Legends was only okay for me, but I think even Endless Legends 2 would have been a better investment for them.

Fantasy is popular, though perhaps not with all Civ fans. Firaxis may be famed for Civ, but why not attract a wider audience to the studio, and create an alternative spin-off setting to Sci-Fi?
Games about Magic, Fantasy, & Pantheons sell well. Stories of legends & 'conspiracy theories' are great entertainment. Leaning toward Mythology may appeal to enough Civ players, while leaning into Fantasy may appeal to new players. I'd combine both for original IP.
I mean to be fair, I believe a mythology game would still have historical elements to it. I do agree it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if they do make a spin-off game I think it would be closer to what Civilization game might be instead of a Sci-Fi one, at least. I'm not the biggest fan of Sci-Fi myself so I would gladly take a mythology/fantasy one instead.
Seconded. I think a combined Mythology/Fantasy/Alternative-History theme & lore would be different enough to any recent Strategy in the market, while not so disimilar from Civ to present challenge for the developer. Attractive to 'traditional' fantasy fans, but not too 'repetitive' to non fantasy fans; unusual enough to be noticed by both. An opposite of historical Civ, based on the history of myth over reality, so that Civ can remain focused on history. Civ VI has alot of mechanics that could be converted into a cool spin-off fantasy. It may ultimately make for a better Civ VII too.

I still want my 'Ancient Civilizations' which goes from the classical period to maybe 1400 A.D. A civ game that doesn't go from rocks tied to sticks to nuclear weapons. More focused on two or three or four periods.
This could surely be remedied by allowing the option in Civ to play either a full game (Prehistory-Future), or to select starting & ending era (e.g. Ancient-Classical), with win conditions for each ending era (probably also altering game speed/length and production/research costs too).

I would love if civ 7 has a mythical background, I would like to ride a Quetzalcoalt through my playground as Aztecs and burn the enemies units.
I just wonder what other civ as Zulus should have as mythical unit? Once I read all civilizations had some kind of dragons. so should we give generic dragons to the Zulu? Or give something related a others african religion as Orixás?
For the Incas have the dragon Amaru, who has wings and a llama head. And Chinese has it's iconic dragon who is one symbol to the nation.

I would love if civ 7 has a mythical background, I would like to ride a Quetzalcoalt through my playground as Aztecs and burn the enemies units.
I just wonder what other civ as Zulus should have as mythical unit? Once I read all civilizations had some kind of dragons. so should we give generic dragons to the Zulu? Or give something related a others african religion as Orixás?
For the Incas have the dragon Amaru, who has wings and a llama head. And Chinese has it's iconic dragon who is one symbol to the nation.

I think like Heroes & Legends mode this could quite easily be modded.
Ask around, someone might do it for you. 😁

All these fantasy ideas just really don't appeal to me at all. Civ games are supposed to be based on history. By all means they can do a DLC Fantasy pack but keep the proper game as its always been.

Top Bottom