Next Civ game most likely will be a fantasy game

Let's be honest, Firaxis have had much better reception from their space Civ entries, than Colonization.
I don't know how Colonization was received, but Beyond Earth received mixed reception at best. They can't consider a sequel very appealing.

They should literally buy the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise from Ubisoft. With tweaks here and there, they gonna make an awesome HOMM8 istg.

I loved Homm 1-3 back in the day.

Also there was a cool strategy franchise called Warlords, that was dope. Not many seem to remember that one though.

Yes whole franchise is going down the drain. We're left with broken game and weird fantasy stuff. Thank goodness for Old World and HumanKind.

Yes whole franchise is going down the drain. We're left with broken game and weird fantasy stuff. Thank goodness for Old World and HumanKind.
Civ 6 is still popuiar and have a lot of players playing and on reddit have a lot of people posting. so NO it is NOT going down the drain.
Civfrantics=/= all of civ fandoms.
Also Humankind's steam rating is lower than that of civ 6

Civ 6 is still popuiar and have a lot of players playing and on reddit have a lot of people posting. so NO it is NOT going down the drain.

Never put much stock in Steam ratings - witness the Civ VI rating. Devs have moved on and left game a broken mess - maybe some okay with that.

Never put much stock in Steam ratings - witness the Civ VI rating.
so put a faith on 20% of fanbase over 80% of fanbase?
WOT?
just because 10% of fans are unhappy dose it mean it is bad?
Also what ranting? How many people are ranting?
Why should fraxis care about 10% people ranting?

I see plenty of posts on r/4xgaming and r/civ discussing same issues that are posted about here on civfanatics

I see plenty of posts on r/4xgaming and r/civ discussing same issues that are posted about here on civfanatics
And yet there are plenty more people who are happy with the game. Give me in percentage which people is happy and which are not. I will bet money that more people are happy with civ 6 than unhappy ones.

And yet there are plenty more people who are happy with the game. Give me in percentage which people is happy and which are not. I will bet money that more people are happy with civ 6 than unhappy ones.
I mean, I'm mostly happy with Civ6, but opinions aren't a popularity contest.

It is when measuring which game is successful... at least in the point of view of a company.
I mostly agree with you, though to be cynical I imagine they care more about sales than customer satisfaction. I was responding specifically to your response to ThunderLizard's statement that he doesn't trust Steam ratings. I can think of quite a few games I've enjoyed that have Mixed reviews on Steam (including Civ6 at one point, as I recall); I can think of quite a few more I didn't care for that have Very Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

I mostly agree with you, though to be cynical I imagine they care more about sales than customer satisfaction. I was responding specifically to your response to ThunderLizard's statement that he doesn't trust Steam ratings. I can think of quite a few games I've enjoyed that have Mixed reviews on Steam (including Civ6 at one point, as I recall); I can think of quite a few more I didn't care for that have Very Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.
Civ 6 isn't too shaby on sales part of success either. So civ 6 is successful in both terms of sucess-by gamers and by sales. So I don't get why some people are saying civ 6 is a failure.

I can think of quite a few games I've enjoyed that have Mixed reviews on Steam (including Civ6 at one point, as I recall); I can think of quite a few more I didn't care for that have Very Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.
That's largely about having different tastes, though. Have a hundred people, and you'll always have at least one that likes absolute rubbish, and one that hates a masterpiece. I mean I heard that some actually liked Twilight! That doesn't mean it's any good, though. There are people people who hate Hary Potter too!

I mean, I agree with your point, just because people have a good opinion on something, that doesn't mean it's good and vice versa, Twilight being a prime example, but personal assessments are also prone to niche preferences, which we all have. Looking at things as a whole, while not infallible, is at least more objective.

That's largely about having different tastes, though. Have a hundred people, and you'll always have at least one that likes absolute rubbish, and one that hates a masterpiece. I mean I heard that some actually liked Twilight! That doesn't mean it's any good, though. There are people people who hate Hary Potter too!

I mean, I agree with your point, just because people have a good opinion on something, that doesn't mean it's good and vice versa, Twilight being a prime example, but personal assessments are also prone to niche preferences, which we all have. Looking at things as a whole, while not infallible, is at least more objective.
I mean, you kind of undermined your own point with your own example. Twilight was a runaway commercial success despite virtually everyone with any taste or sense agreeing that it's hot garbage. There are some objective ways to measure what is good, but popular opinion isn't one of them. There's nothing objective about popular opinion: you could not possibly choose a more capricious, subjective metric. So while reading individual Steam reviews may be helpful, the aggregate score is not really a valuable metric. Many reviews aren't even based on the quality of the game. "The game doesn't work for me even though my computer is a literal potato that does not come close to meeting the minimum qualifications!" "I didn't like another game the developer made!" "No comment, just a negative review." (And while I offered negative examples, there are obviously equally useless positive reviews. "I liked it." Thanks, that's very helpful. :rolleyes: ) Again, I like Civ6 overall. I think it's a good game. But that doesn't negate the many legitimate critiques people have of the game, and since we all weight different features according to different priorities it stands to reason that a flaw I'm willing to overlook is a deal breaker for someone else.

(One final consideration about "popular opinion" is that it's often anecdotal since the majority of people rarely if ever leave reviews. I have 431 games in my Steam library and have left 25 reviews--all but one of them positive. I can't speak for people in general, but I'm much more likely to recommend the games I like than spend much time talking about the games I didn't.)

I mean, you kind of undermined your own point with your own example. Twilight was a runaway commercial success despite virtually everyone with any taste or sense agreeing that it's hot garbage. There are some objective ways to measure what is good, but popular opinion isn't one of them. There's nothing objective about popular opinion: you could not possibly choose a more capricious, subjective metric. So while reading individual Steam reviews may be helpful, the aggregate score is not really a valuable metric. Many reviews aren't even based on the quality of the game. "The game doesn't work for me even though my computer is a literal potato that does not come close to meeting the minimum qualifications!" "I didn't like another game the developer made!" "No comment, just a negative review." (And while I offered negative examples, there are obviously equally useless positive reviews. "I liked it." Thanks, that's very helpful. :rolleyes: ) Again, I like Civ6 overall. I think it's a good game. But that doesn't negate the many legitimate critiques people have of the game, and since we all weight different features according to different priorities it stands to reason that a flaw I'm willing to overlook is a deal breaker for someone else.

(One final consideration about "popular opinion" is that it's often anecdotal since the majority of people rarely if ever leave reviews. I have 431 games in my Steam library and have left 25 reviews--all but one of them positive. I can't speak for people in general, but I'm much more likely to recommend the games I like than spend much time talking about the games I didn't.)
I'm rather guessing you slipped over the second paragraph where I discussed Twilight. Anyways, yes, one review us anecdotal. That's why you take them ub the aggregate - it is far less capricious as you out it. Yes, you get the dumb opinions, but they're also a statistical phenomenon that blends in to large numbers. If 90 people all told you that a gane was great, would you honestly, without being able to sample it first, buy the game that only 3 people recommended instead? Because individual reviews can be capricious?

What else are you going to go by? Sales? Except that has the same problems of reviews...with the added problems of pricing being involved (I have a lot of games that I only own because they were free, most haven't even been played once), marketing (the ability to make a game look good in adverts doesn't mean the game itself is good) and other issues confound the ability to judge quality. And again, just because someone was willing to buy it, doesn't mean it's any good.

I'll say it again, using a review system isn't perfect by any means. It's only one tool that I use to assess a game or other media, largely because it can be capricious. On the other hand, in assessing quality, it is generally better than one person's opinion (even my/your own) because something that can please 80/100 people is more likely to have something of value than something that only manages to please you.

I mean, you kind of undermined your own point with your own example. Twilight was a runaway commercial success despite virtually everyone with any taste or sense agreeing that it's hot garbage. There are some objective ways to measure what is good, but popular opinion isn't one of them.
It was a runaway commercial success because I feel like a majority of people ended up watching the films as a parody/comedy, even the diehard book fans. :lol:
I do regret buying the books but I was in high school and I wanted a new book series to read after the Harry Potter book series had ended, and I heard they were good by several classmates. I ended up donating them though. Still haven't watched the last two films because I hated the fourth book with a passion.

I think nowadays you can consider the Tik Tok app taking that mantle about popular opinion vs. good. I at least hope a majority of people with common sense sees that it's not very great. :rolleyes:

It was a runaway commercial success because I feel like a majority of people ended up watching the films as a parody/comedy, even the diehard book fans. :lol:
I do regret buying the books but I was in high school and I wanted a new book series to read after the Harry Potter book series had ended, and I heard they were good by several classmates. I ended up donating them though. Still haven't watched the last two films because I hated the fourth book with a passion.

I think nowadays you can consider the Tik Tok app taking that mantle about popular opinion vs. good. I at least hope a majority of people with common sense sees that it's not very great. :rolleyes:
Sure, some people enjoyed them ironically, but many people enjoyed them sincerely, which is the frightening part. :p

Anyways, yes, one review us anecdotal. That's why you take them ub the aggregate - it is far less capricious as you out it.
I very strongly believe the opposite because the aggregate includes the useless reviews. One review that gives actual details is worth 1,000 reviews that have no content. So yes, I have actually bought a game on Steam with mixed reviews because of one honest review that explains in detail both what's good and bad about the game. I've actually bought games based on negative reviews before because I liked the things the reviewer was complaining about. And naturally a recommendation from a source I trust is far more valuable to me than a stranger's review; I fell in love with Babylon 5 based solely on the recommendation of a friend. I was likewise directed to BioShock Infinite, a great game in a genre I don't usually play, by a friend. So in my opinion Steam review aggregates are less than worthless in a world where mediocre games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim have Very Positive review aggregates. The public is capricious and arbitrary; their tastes change every day and are usually at odds with mine. Individual reviews can be analyzed and dissected, making them far more useful than the aggregate.

Top Bottom