Next Civ game most likely will be a fantasy game

I'm not convinced with the game modes. The topics are very disparate, unconnected (I mean, even the term "fictional" doesn't cover it and the topics are drastically different) and I think they are nowhere near cohesive enough to form any basis for a new game. Perhaps they were doing testers, but I'm not convinced that we've seen enough evidence of that to justify the assumption.

The Atlantis thing is more convincing, but that's not saying much. I doubt that it was a bug or a hiccup, which implies that it was intentional. What does it mean, though? The most obvious would have been that Atlantis would be present in SS game mode, but that has been pretty much debunked. Could it be that there will be a fantasy based spin off or possibly even NFP 2? Perhaps. It could also be implying something deeper about existing content, like the iceberg thread that's currently being talked about here. It could be commentary on something other than civ.

It could be a practical joke on the presenter. Art from another project uploaded either by mistake or as a hint. It could just be an inside joke by the devs.

You're free to have your opinions and thoughts, but let's remember that it's all speculation at best. Hopefully, the devs will enlighten us one day.

I'd be cool with a "Civ Myths, Legends and Mysticism" between Civ VI and VII. Sounds like fun. Especially if they can fit it in a time progression scope like Civ going from ancient to modern. I'm thinking like Bright, Shadowrun, White Wolf's world of Darkness, etc. where there's magic in the modern world with it's own long history.

Don't get why people are getting their panties in a bunch over a spinoff idea.

I would consider a fantasy spin off to be feasible and I would also consider buying such a thing. It's not most likely though. It's a possibility IMO. And since FXS will be doing another Season Pass for Civ6 it is too far away to tell. :mischief:

So has anyone figured out what that meant? Or is it just merely a Easter egg?

Didn't someone mention you should play with SS on TSL Earth to find out? Anyone found anything there? Or have I been played?

I just wanna be able to play as an enby character, without concern for whether or not it's historical.

You don't have to go into fantasy for non-binary people! There are long, long traditions in many parts of the world of gender fluidity. It's really the industrial era in Europe (and out via colonialism) that fixes a certain notion of gender in place. In prior times, the concern over sexuality was muted - what one did in one's private life was private, and gender roles in, say, Hindu and Buddhist gods were entirely fluid. I might point you to the Ardhanarishvara form of Shiva, or you could explore Kuan Im's movement from male deity to female (and occasional moustache in East Asian sculpture). Buddhism, while in some forms is quite patriarchal, often plays with notions of fluidity (non-self means non-attachment to fixed identities as well).

History is a friend to people trying to escape the confines of our present-day norms and expectations. Read up!

I wouldn't mind a fantasy spin-off at all. It is great when done well, as exemplified by the excellent Fall From Heaven mod for Civ 4 and other games like Fallen Enchantress. But if I got to choose a spin-off, I would probably want Beyond Earth 2. BE 1 had a lot of potential, which was never fully realised, and it seems like they were just 1 expansion away from making it truly great.

My question for this supposed spinoff is this: Which fantasy series do we blatantly rip off? :mischief:

Lord of the Rings? Game of Thrones? Warhammer Fantasy? Warhammer 40K?

I wouldn't mind a fantasy spin-off at all. It is great when done well, as exemplified by the excellent Fall From Heaven mod for Civ 4 and other games like Fallen Enchantress. But if I got to choose a spin-off, I would probably want Beyond Earth 2. BE 1 had a lot of potential, which was never fully realised, and it seems like they were just 1 expansion away from making it truly great.
Absolutely! I watched a Pravus Gaming Walkthrough of BE with expansions, and it seemed like a lot of fun. So many good ideas were in it, like the way they handled Artifacts, the Tech tree, and of course, the quests.

I'd love a mythology spin off of Civ, or a fantasy one.

There's a chance it's the opposite though - a scifi spin off for example is coming, and the game modes were a chance for the devs to do a little bit with their pet ideas that weren't going to make it into a full civ game.

My question for this supposed spinoff is this: Which fantasy series do we blatantly rip off? :mischief:

Lord of the Rings? Game of Thrones? Warhammer Fantasy? Warhammer 40K?

Absolutely! I watched a Pravus Gaming Walkthrough of BE with expansions, and it seemed like a lot of fun. So many good ideas were in it, like the way they handled Artifacts, the Tech tree, and of course, the quests.
Wouldnt need to rip any off. Just use actual mythology through the ages and progress into modern fiction and urban legends. It'd be a cool route to go.

for the fans of civ+fantasy , stardock has such a game , fallen enchantress : legendary heroes. i quite enjoyed it too.
i just dont see them experimenting with humankind and old world looming around and civ7 years away. i would think they will make sure that civ7 comes out sooner than divert resources to an experimental project.

Didn't someone mention you should play with SS on TSL Earth to find out? Anyone found anything there? Or have I been played?
I just won a game with Greece with Voidsingers and all the modes enabled on this map, no Atlantis in sight.

You don't have to go into fantasy for non-binary people! There are long, long traditions in many parts of the world of gender fluidity. It's really the industrial era in Europe (and out via colonialism) that fixes a certain notion of gender in place. In prior times, the concern over sexuality was muted - what one did in one's private life was private, and gender roles in, say, Hindu and Buddhist gods were entirely fluid. I might point you to the Ardhanarishvara form of Shiva, or you could explore Kuan Im's movement from male deity to female (and occasional moustache in East Asian sculpture). Buddhism, while in some forms is quite patriarchal, often plays with notions of fluidity (non-self means non-attachment to fixed identities as well).

History is a friend to people trying to escape the confines of our present-day norms and expectations. Read up!
ooh, I hadn't yet heard of those examples, I'll be sure to read up on them - thanks very much for the recommendation! ^_^

Also, I realized I made my points somewhat messily, so to hopefully clear them up: I had been thinking of adding something to the effect of "you don't need to go to fantasy for nonbinary people" to my original post but I couldn't see a good place to cram it in. I definitely agree, I intended for my post to moreso communicate the idea that it'd be silly, at the least, if a spin-off civ game focused on fantasy elements didn't include some representation of nonbinary people, as if to say "fantasy is fine, but gender nonconformity is where we draw the line", especially if the leaders of the factions are able to be customized by the player. And that it's understandable that Civ 6 doesn't do this already, as there's not all that many trans/nonbinary/third-gender leaders (that I know of) that would make for good representation for a civ - Elagabalus would be near the bottom of my list for leaders of Rome, for example. The "concern for whether it's historical" part was meant to be more like "concern for if this leader pick is a historically accurate choice to be the face of this civilization" rather than "concern for if it's somehow inaccurate to acknowledge the historical existence of nonbinary people".

Wouldnt need to rip any off. Just use actual mythology through the ages and progress into modern fiction and urban legends. It'd be a cool route to go.
I know. Just wanted a little tongue-in-cheek comment.

If we're talking about fantasy-themed Civ, it would be great to have an updated version of Master of Magic.

Can someone educate me as to what this Atlantis easter egg is?I either didn't catch it at the time or have no memory of it.

I find it doubtful, in any case, that Civ7 would be fantasy-themed, because that'd simply be giving up the niche that the series has been developing for decades in favor of a different one already covered by other games. As a BE-type spin-off, though? I'd eat that right up. Gimme gimme gimme.

Can someone educate me as to what this Atlantis easter egg is?I either didn't catch it at the time or have no memory of it.
On the TSL Huge Earth Map, there is an odd landmass west of Iberia. Some people believe it is a reference to Atlantis, while others say it is a bug or graphic error.

I say it's Ancient Aliens. :p

I just wanna be able to play as an enby character, without concern for whether or not it's historical. That's the only concern I'd have for a new non-history-based game.

I hadn't seen this part. But yeah that'd be cool (although i still don't see FXS making a leader creator). At least Civ6 has Kristina (who nowdays would probably identify herself like that)

Top Bottom