1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Next expansion pack?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by bonafide11, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

This is what I would like to see in the *next* expansion......even if I am *loving* the current one ;).

-More Labour related Social Policies....& perhaps even a separate slot for Labour Policies (Serfdom, Organized Labour, Slavery, Indentured Labour & Caste System comes to mind).

-A World Congress system that builds on the firm foundation of the new Alliance & Emergency systems.....obviously with the City States included.

-More ways to *lose* envoys as well as gain them: Bullying/Protecting (a la Civilization V), Failing some Quests, Ignoring a City State for too long, Spy Missions aimed at Election Rigging/Coups.

-More Great Musicians & Great Works of Music, & more places to house Great Works prior to the Modern Era.

-Expansion of the Theming Bonuses to something similar to what it was in Civilization V.

-Have Culture/Tourism & Trade Routes impact City Loyalty in a similar way to how it worked in Civilization V.....possibly with a return of the Ideology system.

-Expand the Sabotage Mission for spies beyond Industrial Zones. Let them sabotage City Centers, Neighbourhoods, Holy Sites, Theater Districts etc etc.

Jkchart likes this.
  2. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

Some sort of tourism/culture based projects to increase tourism. This could also boost the economy temporarily too. I’m thinking like an entertainment complex hosting a major sporting event, theatre square hosting a concert, something that’s temporary but would add to the culture/tourism side as well as bring more to the entertainment complex.

3. PYITE

PYITE Chieftain

You can adjust the amount of tundra and desert by changing the values in the Terrain.lua file.
    Desert is set to 25%
    Tundra and snow have latitude limits that you can adjust.

4. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

Didn’t know, might change it. I don’t mind desert but playing on higher difficulty it’s almost impossible to build Petra and if you don’t you’re pretty much hooped

5. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

It seems like such a small thing but I will be very disappointed if railroads are never added.

Jkchart likes this.
  6. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Some ideas

- Railroads and industrial revolution
    - Corporations
    - Lategame climate change and environmentalism
    - A bunch of endgame futuristic military units
    - More baseline military units
    - Improved religious gameplay and victory
    - Improved goddamn AI
    - World wars (engaging most of civs on two sides)
    - Vietnam, Italy, Mali, Hungary, Navajo

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I think you have to incorporate the City State system into a Diplomatic Victory, but I agree if it's just control them all, it's boring. I also agree that the Emergencies mechanic does a better job. Perhaps the UN Security Council can come at the end of the game in which the three biggest civs at the foundation of the UN become permanent members and they can choose to initiate emergencies instead of it happening randomly. It's a thought.

A diplomatic victory could fit nicely with some civs. Austria could get Metternich. The Iroquois could bring back Haiawatha. I'm not sure how the Ottomans or Inca will work, but there's time. Ottoman could go with a fleshed out religious game.

I would like corporations, but I think it's tricky. I didn't like how Civ IV did them. But I do have ideas for a commercial victory that might be a bit too complicated, but doesn't play with the "Bad Economics" you tend to see from people suggesting it.

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Excellent Idea: Shared Victory! It brings back fond memories of the old boardgame Diplomacy, in which a very common 'victory' between/among equally devious and treacherous players was a Stalemate involving 2 or more countries.
    Also, and can someone confirm this, but I don't believe anything like a 'shared victory' has ever been implemented in Civilization games before. Something New! Double Hoorah!

I confess, I really loved sending a Great Musician 'On Tour' to influence another Civ in Civ V! Expand that sort of thing to International Sporting Events like the Modern Olympics, World Cup, etc. and even tie it in with Great Merchants establishing the apparently-much-desired return of the Corporations in other countries, and a whole new batch of international relationship-influencing actions open up in the middle and late game...

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  9. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Would definitely like to see a real update at the industrial revolution, and a real emphasis on late-game. Handling things like pollution, urban migration, transit, etc... in a real way. Heck, even something with a real decision like setting up your cities as skyscrapers + suburbs, or the standard european somewhat constant density, is something to think about. I mean, we don't have to turn it into sim-city, but those are all the decisions that you do make as you grow, and they would have different housing/amenity requirements (something like skyscrapers would require less housing, but more amenities)?

Basically, some late-game love would be nice.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

But please no Giant Death Robots or Xcom squads. I hated both units.

Jkchart likes this.
  11. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Yeah, me too. I was thinking of something like railgun ships and exoskeletons.

Jkchart and Zaarin like this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Please bring Simon Stålenhag on board to design them. :D

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  13. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

Just because it was poorly implemented in past iterations doesn't mean it has to be in 6. Think about Civ5 vanilla's cultural victory and how much it was improved in BNW. I see no reason why they can't make similar strides with diplomatic victories. As to why people want it, I can only speak for myself, but here are my reasons...
    • The late game needs something to balance it with the early game. The early game has exploration, but the late game still needs something to break up the monotony of clicking Next Turn until victory is achieved or boredom sets in.
    • There should be a peaceful means of dealing with problematic Civs. Right now your only recourse against trouble makers is to declare war against them. Having the option to handle these situations diplomatically gives peaceful players more options. Given how bad the AI is at warfare, warmongering becomes a dull solution for every problem.
    • A large enough voting bloc can allow players to pass resolutions that speed their runaway victories towards conclusion. If you've got a cultural victory in the bag and have enough votes, passing a resolution that boosts great writer, artist, and musician points or enhances tourism might be the difference between you seeing the game to its conclusion and quitting early.
    • The other side of that coin is diplomacy can buy you the time you need to turn a losing proposition into a victory. If a science powerhouse is screaming towards a science victory, passing resolutions that impede research or diminish great scientist points can open the door for you to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
    • Finally, I like variety. As such, I welcome another victory condition. What's more, I want to see what the developers can come up with for new Civ and leader abilities pertaining to diplomacy.

Jkchart likes this.
  14. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

I'd like to be able to tell other civs to back off from my city-state allies. Maybe once you become a suzerain you can have an option to set it so that attacking the city state means attacking you.

I think the amenities system needs a rework, and maybe the housing one too. I'd like to see a return of the "We Love the King/Queen" day. It's rewarding to see that.

Not sure if I'd like to see more systems, I kind of want a language system but I'm not sure if that can be added to civ yet.

Pretty hopeful for the next expansion, the AI is much better now, and they've done a great job with Rise and Fall. More peaceful civs would be nice.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  15. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Hummm. The latest US Navy 'Destroyer' weighs as much as a WWII Heavy Cruiser and has a gun that can fire over 150 kilometers with Terminal Homing capability - but the individual rounds cost so much they can't afford to buy or fire them!

Leaving aside all the modern weaponry that Civ VI (and previous Civs) leave out, like fast-moving Stryker-type armored 'cars' and ultra-long-range 'conventional' artillery and Radar-guided counterfire and other 'goodies', the trend in warfare in the last 20 years is towards enhancing the capabilities of the individual soldier rather than build Giant Death anythings. Stuff like individual land and air Drones, all-weather, all-light sensors deployed by individual soldiers or squads, exoskeletons and nano-swarms and body armor that makes a late Medieval Knight look positively naked.

For Future Tech, in fact, we are approaching the boundaries of Heinlein's "Mobile Infantry" in armored power suits (yet another example of Heinlein's ability to anticipate events!).

For Atomic/Information Era Units, something like All Terrain Infantry that can move at speed in multi-wheeled vehicles like Strykers but dismount with more firepower and protection than a WWII armored outfit and a Vision Range of 3 or more Tiles (Drones, Satellite Links, etc)
    Plus an Upgrade to aircraft that allows them to attack a tile from a tile or more away ('smart' missiles)

- Those would be my two Minimum New Things for late game military units.

There are design projects and prototypes for Really Advanced Tanks with self-loading 140mm and larger cannon and almost incredible protection and survivability systems, but I'm not sure they will ever be built in quantity: they, like aircraft carriers, have become too big and are a target for too many things. If built, I suspect they will go down as another example of the Dinosaur Mentality of General Officers - who never saw a Big Toy (battleship, aircraft carrier, tank) that they didn't want, and never had/have a problem finding a Politician dumb enough to hand them the money by the truck-load without asking how it was going to be spent...

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

One other thing I would love to see in the next expansion would be alternative uses for the Great Artist, Great Writer & Great Musician....again, a la Civilization V. Any one of these Great People could have abilities like a Culture or Loyalty Bomb, or could be a source of Instant Historic Event Points. Great Writers might grant you 1 or 2 Inspirations (Random or Specific). Great Musicians could get the Concert Tour ability they had in Civilization V.

magha77 likes this.
  17. magha77

magha77 Chieftain

Wow...great ideas! I would love to have mercenaries of unique units

18. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Another thing I would love to see in the new Expansion might be a return of some of the better buildings of previous Iterations of Civilization. The Guilds, Opera House, Public School, Constabulary & Police Station from Civilization V (to name a few), & the Courthouses from Civilization IV (with perhaps an added Loyalty bonus alongside their cost reduction abilities), as a couple of specific examples.

It would also be nice to see staffing of District Buildings with population produce greater benefits than having the buildings alone.

It might also be nice to see Energy Security & Pollution play a role in the later game somehow. Have Coal-based energy generate reduced amenity, perhaps, whilst allowing for players to build Solar Plants, Hydro-Electric Plants or Windmills/Wind-farms.

19. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

My gut still tells me that they will add some kind of environmental/pollution mechanism to the game.

20. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

On the matter of World Congress & Diplomatic Victory, I think it could work if we avoided the arbitrary "President of the World" nonsense, & have instead an ever increasing point system. Points for each level 3 Alliance you attain, every City state you are Suzerain of for X turns, the number of civs you can recruit for a *successful* Emergency, the number of wars that you can convince other players to end, the number of successful motions you can pass through the World Congress/UN. That kind of thing.