Next expansion pack?

Maybe once you become a suzerain you can have an option to set it so that attacking the city state means attacking you.

That's called a Protectorate War.

I would love to see the return of:
- vassals
- corporations
- railroads
- Some way to put money and time into developing your terrain so a new resource can pop-up near your city. Those satellites in Beyond Earth were my absolutely favourite thing.

I would love to see an expansion focused on the later part of the game. I wonder how that would go over though, I think that early mechanics are the ones that will probably "grab" more casual players.

But yes, Industrial revolution and stuff after that. Railroads, managing pollution, introduction of stuff like the World Congress. Just changing the game rules up a bit in the later game, and introducing new mechanics would be great. The emergencies were a way to hinder run away civs but I still more is needed. Especially some mechanic which is driven by players (like a World Congress), that you can interact with. Emergencies are fun but you don't have any control over them as a player, it's more like a "random event" in a sense that you can use to your advantage.

EDIT: I would also like to see more changes to the Religion game. It still feels like an "out there" type of victory, and the fact that you're not guaranteed to get one (though it's easier now) makes it just feel like an unecessary gamble on higher difficulty levels.

Stuff like Faith and Tourism... it would be neat to have all resources like that interact with the rest of the game even more. Especially Tourism just feels like a strange number which has no real impact on the game except for the actual Culture Victory.

My #1 wish is corporations, which should rework those great merchants who grants you a unique luxury resource. So instead, founding a corporation (which may require a great merchant or - preferably - some different mechanism) will allow you produce advanced luxury resources in your factories by combining different bonus/luxury/strategic resources to give new products. For instance:
  • Wool (or Cotton) + Dyes = Blue Jeans
  • Whales + Incense = Perfume
  • Oil + Wood = Toys
  • Silver + Diamonds = Jewelry
  • Furs + Silk = Fashion clothing
  • Aluminum + Copper = Electronics
Obviously one could come up with many different combinations. Also a system where you add products or features to your corporations a bit like we add beliefs to religion would be a nice way to have something to do in late game.

Other stuff I would like to see added:
  • State religion and possibility to gain ownership of another players religion by conquering their holy city. Also ability to reform a religion to gain a religion if you didn't get to found (and cause major diplomatic conflict with original religion).
  • Some tweaks on late religious game, perhaps religion losing importance in late game or "atheism" as an alternative to boost science, although I know that's probably too controversial.
  • Industrial revolution and railroads would be really cool. Existing road system needs a general revamp - the trader putting down road mess really doesn't work well!
  • Random events would be nice.
  • Different types of great works of writing with accompanying theming options - writings could comes in forms of poems, literature, plays (theatre) and maybe even scientific writings (a late-game cross-link between culture and science, similar to religious art being a cross-link between culture and religion).
  • World congress, even though this is a tough nut to crack (Civ5 version definitely both had good and bad aspects).

Last edited:
I would love to see an expansion focused on the later part of the game. I wonder how that would go over though, I think that early mechanics are the ones that will probably "grab" more casual players.

I would say BNW emphasised late game stuff more than early mechanics, so such a focus for the second expansion might not be as unlikely as you think :D

First things first. I'd prefer Civ6 to not have second expansion at all. It's already the most overencumbered Civ game to date. It would be better to have periodical significant patches (up to the level of religious patch we got last Fall), supported with cash from content DLC having more civilizations, leaders, maps and scenarios.

Speaking about individual things:

1. Diplomatic victory. Never worked well in any single Civ game. Emergencies are just plain better replacement.
2. Economic victory. While it's easy to make it work, I don't see any niche for it not covered by another victory type already.
3. Railroads. I miss them. But putting them into great Civ6 road system is a pain with zero gameplay gain. As a side effect of some interesting mechanics - would be cool, but can't see them as a goal.
4. Puppet cities, colonies, vassals, that sort of things. I'd say Free cities and City-states are enough. Fitting new types of political entities into already complex loyalty mechanic is likely to just not work.
5. Corporations. Never liked them even in Civ4 there they had clear goal of being late-game religion analogue. Since religion works throughout the whole game in Civ6 and trade micromanagement is already covered with Trade routes, I don't see any place for corporations in the game.

EDIT:
6. Better tactical AI. Not a selling point. Yes, there are role-playing people who don't like what they see as "stupid" AI. There are deity players, who want additional challenge. But both categories buy expansion anyway and the vast majority of players will just not notice the difference in the AI (other than difficulty). This just will not happen. Elaborate tactical AI is thing of pure immersion and thus it's for mods.

Last edited:
Fantasy: 'After fan feedback we have decided to devote the next expansion entirely to AI improvements using a team of the world best AI programmers. Lets make Deity great again.' -Ed Beach

Reality: I think it would be cool to flesh out the role of barbarians.
Like upgrading encampments to 'cities' on empty parts of the map and having more unique units/abilities (focused raids/ambushes). Late-game they could evolve into a proper terrorist organization (leader screen?:shifty:), at which point they appear on the score board but can only win domination and focus solely on that.
They are hostile to everyone but can be bribed into performing targeted attacks on other Civs eg: 'Dirty Bomb' - targeted city has no growth and loses a population every turn for 10 turns. Or: 'Cyber Attack' - All city projects are halted for 10 turns.
Very late-game, if not dealt with, they have nukes and used them!

Last edited:
- Quests (with a historical context of course) Random events with a simple task to do. Quest when it's done can either give you a simple reward (Win Olympics, build stadium grain +1 amenities from all stadiums during this age) or help you to avoid a certain loss (build an aqueduct to avoid losing x population in n cities).
- Ecology as a truly alternative way to culture win (or even a separate win condition). More Buildings, UI, policies especially in a modern era.
- Infrastructure. More UI (Tunnels, canals, motorways, railway with not only movement boosts)
- Deeper resources Strategic resources in the industry (gas, coal). Possibility to produce a certain luxury resource from bonus resources (for example: beer from wheat, candles from honey- new bonus resource for a forest title).
- More CIV identity. More graphics diversity, district in a similar way as city centers now should look unique for certain Civilization or at least region. At least leave some city center graphic uniqueness after Modern Era!

And please no World Congress! Any new mechanic dependable on AI is a BAD idea!

- Quests (with a historical context of course) Random events with a simple task to do. Quest when it's done can either give you a simple reward (Win Olympics, build stadium grain +1 amenities from all stadiums during this age) or help you to avoid a certain loss (build an aqueduct to avoid losing x population in n cities).
- Ecology as a truly alternative way to culture win (or even a separate win condition). More Buildings, UI, policies especially in a modern era.
I like these ideas. I was thinking that could be an alternative way to deal with these like diplomacy as in getting city states and other Civs involved without having a diplomatic victory.
The U.N. We can tie that in with emergencies, to where those members would automatically be asked to join in an emergency.
Hosting the Olympics- Voting could commence every once in a while when professional sports Civic is unlocked and those who have built a stadium and an aquatics center would have the chance to host. Participating civs and city states would vote. If they don't have the required buildings they would vote for an ally and City-states would vote for suzerain. As long as the Olympics would be going on they would gain certain amounts of amenities, tourism and loyalty.
Conservation project. Used to preserve a certain natural feature or resource by either not removing or improving them gaining more science from those tiles in the process with other members. Even more science if you establish a national park with them in the tile.
World Religion Council- For members who have founded a religion. Maybe this could deal with the religious emergency of some sort or be completely different?
International Banking Group- Establishing with at least one other Civ to temporarily help fund another Civ with currency problems. They at least need to have a commercial hub with a stock exchange and high amounts of money.
Global Awards Ceremony- Used to give awards in science, writing, art, and music. Participating Civs and city states vote on which Civs get these awards. Usually how many type of great people they receive. Hosting member would need at least a theater square/university and a royal society building in Govt. Plaza. (Think Nobel Prizes, Golden Globes etc.)

Too early to discuss the next expansion?

I loved VI base and love R&F even more. Eras, Loyalty, it's good in my book, and I can't help wondering where it can go from here.

I did a breakdown of V and VI features release. My prediction is VI expansion will be something like "Friends and Foes", focused on Diplomacy. They've set the stage with alliances, but bringing back the Diplomacy Victory with a new "Influence" mechanic, which is similar to real world "political capital". Beef up Espionage along with this and you have a theme to round out VI.

Along with that new Civs, Scenarios and a game replay system.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want is something that encourages even more Exploration and Colonization, I want an actual New World (Terra style), so you get TWO maps in one or something.

Yep, it’s too early, but I don’t mind, lol. I want a Hall of Fame! And more AI improvements.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:
RELIGION 2.0
Now religious expansion requires more nuance and planning rather than spam of physical units; it also changes depending on the government, era, relations... Also, stuff like crusades and holy wars are introduced - hilarity ensues.

EXPLORATION
We have civs left like obligatory Portugal (major exploration theme!), Maori/Polynesia, necessary Carthago naval power, Maghreb civ with Barbary Pirates, Ottomans with their admirals (pls dont wait till xpac with them D:) etc.
Race for discoveries, maps, factorias, advancement of globalization as major thing, very profitable colonies, trade companies, adventurers, it all being tied to current mechanics of archeology and tourism.

INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
Turning factories and introducijg railroads into massive game changing "Oh my God, industrial revolution just spawned, now the world will change, underdogs may rise and empires may decline depending on how fast they will adopt industrialisation"

WORLD WAR! COLD WAR!
*Turning lategame three ideologies ("liberalism, nationalism, marxism") into ideological divisions as in civ5 but deeper and more refined (for example by adding fourth way: religious fundamentalism tied to rel victory :p )
*World War - conflict dividing most of the world between two power blocs
*Turning nukes into cold war arms race mutually assured destruction paranoia
*Turning space victory into complicated and emotional race
*Rise of the computer changes very late engame even more
*Futuristic units (but not stupid this time)

Last edited:
Everything that is in Civ IV and its expansions I want in the next for the game. Features, everything.

Yeah, I'd like there to be a diplomatic victory with World Congress/UN functions to go along with some more work on diplomatic functions in the game as well. I like Krajzen's ideas on the Industrial Revolution as well as of a World War and a Cold War. I'd like to see the Ottomans, the Phoenicians (incl Carthage), Sweden and Austria-Hungary at least, and yeah, Inca of course, and maybe the Sioux. Napoleon would be back as second leader of France.

The Crisis events of RaF were a great start but could be added upon to create extra challenges in the world. Like city states falling under oppressive governments that the world has to deal with together (like North Korea IRL), or wars between city states that require careful diplomacy to solve or they'll drag their suzerains along and descend into an outright great war between all the involved. Things like that.

I'd like they put back in the world congress and diplomatic victory, but make it NOT an economic victory like in civ5, but more an actual diplomatic effort. Looking at what they did in r&f i'm pretty positive that they could find a way.

Yes, it is too early and we can just say what we would like to have there, not what we think that will be there.

Anyway, I primarily want expanded tech tree with new units, especially in the future era.
As far as improvements go, I would really welcome better religious combat. It already got its patch, but I think proper experience points and levels for inquisitors and apostoles could make it more fun. I always keep my +20 combat apostoles around for defence and offense and I usually kill dozens of enemy units with each of them - yet this doesn't give them any additional bonuses.

Diplomatic victory? No, this is not what I want. I think it never worked properly and I don't think it would work in Civ 6. Diplomacy is one of the weaker sides of the Civ series. And diplomatic victory in Civ 5 was a joke, a bad joke. It was mostly an economic victory anyway (bribing all city states with gold) and it was absolutely not uncommon for me to purposefully vote AGAINST me in the world congress when I knew I had enough votes to win the game already, but I didn't want to end it yet (or wanted to go for another victory type).

Nobody seems to care about the one area of the game which prevents it from being an excellent (merely a good) strategy game. I refer of course to AI combat which, despite encouraging noises from various people here ('oh look, in this pic it's behaving quite sensibly'), is still clueless and will remain so as long as the fascination with 1upt continues. It's time to recognise that in a strategy game you cannot have fully tactical battles on the same map screen. Either you have a separate screen for battles as in the Total War series or you revert to some form of limited stacking. In the latter case there could still be some tactical elements (eg the composition of the stack, its size, the terrain it's on etc) but it would be a system that the AI could at least use effectively - not as well as a human player but well enough to maintain immersion. Civ6 has gone a little of the way with corps and armies but they come too late in the game and don't go far enough. From a realism point of view huge armies were just as common in ancient times as in later eras. All sorts of policy cards and unit abilities and promotions could come into play to differentiate the stacks of different eras and affect battle outcomes. At the moment it is too easy to go through the game with a small military force, even with hostile neighbours, because the human player knows he can easily overcome an attack due to the AI's hopelessness. When you have no real need to fear other civs, and don't have to factor the maintenance of a substantial military force for protection into your economy, then much of the appeal of a true strategic game has been lost. I hope any future expansion abandons 1upt , though I am not hopeful. Perhaps in Civ7.

Top Bottom