1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Fantasy War (BtS)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by strategyonly, Aug 2, 2007.

1. erm4gh

erm4gh Chieftain

I installed this mod on a Vista SP1 system where I've used bccedit to provide 3GB of memory to Civ IV/BTS. It hangs when loading:

Load Error:
    GFC Error: Failed to initialize the primary control theme

If you press OK it then displays:

[Next Fantasy War]Init Fonts (3x.xxs) and hangs. I've tried waiting ten minutes when it claims it only needs 30.02 seconds. I'm using BTS 3.13. I have no problem loading and runing large mods such as Civ Gold , Amra Basic , FFH II or Wolfshanze . I've tried loading this mod four times and its failed the same way each time, all that varies is exactly how long it states it needs to load the fonts.

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I am sooo glad you like this mod, not many people write here, and i am so glad to hear good things, but even if its a bad thing, its ok, only way to get it better is to write things.;)

Ok this has been covered in the thread before, it only does this if you put it in a different area other than the same area as AfterWorld, Road to War, etc.
    Plus you cant change the name or anything like that (just incase). If you take a look at least of the last twenty or so posts it explains things when you have a GFC error if you want to go that far.
    Now if you still cant resolve this, write again and i will gladly help, ok.:confused:

3. erm4gh

erm4gh Chieftain

I had dropped the version number from the name. I normally install mods in C:\Users\eric\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods since I'm using Vista . I long ago deleted all of the BTS provided mods in the program files tree, that had never caused a problem. I extracted your mod to
    C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Next Fantasy War v010 and it was ignored. It doesn't show up in the menu when I try to load a mod.

What do you suggest? Do I need to modify
    ; Main Menu Mods
    MainMenuMods = Afterworld;Broken Star;Charlemagne;Crossroads of the World;Defense;FfH Age of Ice;Final Frontier;Gods of Old;Next War;Rhye's and Fall of Civilization;The Road to War

in CivilizationIV.ini to specify your mod? The best instructions I could find where at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6927663&postcount=276

4. strategyonly

erm4gh: Best thing for you to do is follow post # 243, since you already are having problem with Vista, and btw do you have Civ4 Complete?
    All this will do is remove the red interface is all.

5. erm4gh

erm4gh Chieftain

strategyonly:

I don't have Civ Complete. I have never gotten Civ IV/BTS to recognize any mod I installed in the program files directory while running Vista.

I don't have a resources folder, but do have a res folder with a fonts subdirectory. I deleted the res folder and then found and edited CIV4ArtDefines_Misc per the instructions. The problem is that your mod still doesn't show up in the menu.

I guess I could try specifying that it should be loaded automatically in the CivilizationIV.ini file but that seems to use a relative path. How do I specify a absolute path? Or should I try editing MainMenuMods?

6. strategyonly

OK, you cant delete the res folder that is a must have. The resource folder is right next to the assets folder.
    OK you also, need to go to post # 239 this MOD thread. If you cant figure it out there, try this:
    post #859:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236605&page=43 :crazyeye:

7. erm4gh

erm4gh Chieftain

239 talks about some not loading GUI problem. I don't have a clue what 859 is talking about. Maybe I'll run into those problems later but my main problem is that I can't load your mod.

Why does the mod have to be installed in a non-standard location? Your answers are confusing but it seems like my best bet is to extract the mod in the normal location and then try again with the font initialization fix.

8. strategyonly

Thats right your first problem was a GFC error problem and by deleting the Resource folder and changing the ArtMisc file, it takes care of that problem.

Dont know what you mean by non-standard location, its the same as everyone else's. Same area as AfterWorld etc. And remember you cant change anything in the name. Or fo9lders besides the ones i listed above, ok.:rolleyes:

9. erm4gh

erm4gh Chieftain

I got it to work after I installed it in C:\Users\eric\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods , deleted the resources folder, and edited the file.

10. strategyonly

Good to know, and thx for keep on trying. Maybe this swill help someone else that uses Vista. I hope you enjoy the mod, HECK, i know you will enjoy the mod, so "Just Have Fun.";)

11. nedflanders02

nedflanders02 Chieftain

You should compress all your art files into a .PFK file. It loads instantly on my end

12. strategyonly

If you look i do use PFK for all my art files. And it only takes under 1 minute to load.:p

13. nedflanders02

nedflanders02 Chieftain

HA!

I see now, I was still using an old version of your mod :lol:

still your mod loads instantly on my computer.

14. Arthras

Arthras Chieftain

Hi,

I just installed the mod, but after I start it I don't get a main menu - the background image is all I see, but no buttons, no "exit game" and no reaction to alt+F4 either.

I only skimmed a bit through the thread. I haven't got Civ4 Complete, I still have BtS 3.13 and I don't use Vista. I copied the mod in the right folder (along with next war etc), I didn't rename it and I already tried that thing with deleting the resources folder and changing the xml file but nothing has worked so far.

Thx for any help

15. strategyonly

Well it looks like you skimmed over pretty good, only thing i can think of at this point, is that you got a bad download, it does happen. Try that and let me know, thx.

16. xexoy2

xexoy2 Running from a Jaberwocky

I just tried it out yesterday and WOW! the amount of work in there is in-credible! hey one thing about lord of the rings is it possible if u could make a good and bad team for them cause sauron destroys gondor in his evil campain(not talking about movie):crazyeye:

17. strategyonly

I dont know why not, but the main reason is i really dont know that much about LoTR:blush:, and i would not know where to put , or even divide up the units here and what leaders to use. Thats why i put them all in one, hoping someone would do just what i asked above. But to date nobody has even mentioned the LoTR units and how to somewhat, correctly divide them up?:rolleyes:

So i guess i am asking all those LoTR enthusiast, how do you want them divided up, but only two civs ok.

18. xexoy2

xexoy2 Running from a Jaberwocky

Ok, Simple... All you have to do is put the Dwarves (talking about lotr, not civ) elves, Men of gondor, and the Fellowship of the ring together. (the Good Guys). and put Bad Gays as Morder, Isengard, goblins, and the Witch-King of Angmar as the bad guys.:goodjob::)

Glofindel or one of the other fellowship like Frodo could be a leader. as for the bad team sauron is fine but the witch-king would look cool to be in there as a separate leader.:goodjob:

Do a little online research on it, it'll be a piece of cake, although i'm not sure about the programming.:goodjob:

:lol::);):cool::king:

19. EpicFail

EpicFail Chieftain

ON your next update Add DWOLF's Nazi Germany please. Nazis are what this awesome mod is missing.

20. strategyonly

ahahah, funny you should mention that, I just got done making my own Nazi civ, but didnt know for sure if i was going to add it here but i am for sure going to add it to Next War Advanced. Plus i added a new leader. Am still having some problem where to put some units though. I guess i can put it in both.:p
    And thx for asking.